PDA

View Full Version : Ez-efi

carbondaddy
09-05-2010, 11:11 AM
So.... how is this setup working out? I can't seem to find very many actual user comments. Thinking about putting it on my 434 sbc.

TnBlkC230WZ
09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
You can read my "not so EzEFI" thread. It does work pretty good, but it is not as EZ as the magazines make it out to be. Plan on an ignition box. I could never get mine to consistantly idle without one. I do have my working pretty good now, but it still has issues transitioning from cruise to idle, expecially when the AC or Fan is running.

Motown 454
09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Check on the posts from Greg Weld. He is using one.

carbondaddy
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanx for the info. I checked out Greg's thread on lateral-g.net and although he's having good results, I am looking for feedback on the system complete with the FAST throttle bodies. The Inglese manifold sure looks sexy though...

2008fx4
09-07-2010, 09:36 PM
having some issues with mine - i keep getting an o2 code, but the car runs great. clear the code, and the car runs like crap. 496 bbc with a small cam, 10.5:1 compression, made about 420/420 hp/tq to the wheels with a holley 850 on it.

old66tiger
09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
it's things like this that make me think that staying with a carb is a good idea.

2008fx4
09-30-2010, 08:24 PM
turns out mine was a simple issue - just had to re-run the power wire to msd box.

carbondaddy
09-30-2010, 08:29 PM
I was starting to think the same until I looked around some more. It seems like the only ones that reply on here had negative results, but there are lots of positive results out there. So, I just took the plunge and ordered up a system. In a few weeks I'll be able to give my own feedback. Fingers Crossed

401Spirit
09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
EZ-EFI worked great on my 410 AMC engine in my 3200# '79 Spirit. The 750 Holley double pumper was set up for road racing and was crap on the street. EZ-EFI was easy to set up,works as it should,idles at 1200 rpm (same speed as carb), cranks instantly with one turn of the key, and hauls ass at Road Atlanta with better throttle response off corners. Street usage is very smooth and response is better than a carb. I have owned this car for 24 yrs. and this engine has been installed for 7 yrs.

old66tiger
10-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Carbon daddy, which system did you buy and why?

carbondaddy
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Carbon daddy, which system did you buy and why?
I went with Fast EZ-EFI master kit. Mainly because it is a complete system including fuel pump and lines, which I wanted to change anyways. I can use my stock gas tank, intake manifold, and billet HEI ignition. I will add an MSD box though. It is inexpensive compared to some systems. It is a simple install compared to most others. And it has the hand held programmer/display which will give real time info as well as the ability to change parameters easily and on the fly. I don't want to have to drag out a laptop or have someone else do programming changes or have to ship the ECU away for changes. I know it is somewhat less high-tech than a sequential system but it is close and better than a carb.
CD

JeffT
10-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm just finishing up an install for a friend of mine. We used the EZ-EFI master kit as well and a sumped tank from Ricks. I just fired it up for the first time last night without issue, set the target idle and let it run long enough to get up to temp. It seems a lot crisper than the Barry Grant it's replacing. Hope to drive it this evening or the next to see how it does under load.

old66tiger
10-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Jeff, how does it work??? Inquiring minds want to know!

carbondaddy
10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Ya, what tiger said, and what are u installing it on

JeffT
10-07-2010, 06:14 AM
I haven't had as much time this week as I thought. I did mess with it last night for a bit, let it come up to temp again and then drove it down the street and back, maybe half a mile or so. So far so good, it didn't die/stall/hunt for idle etc... I plan to change the spark plugs this evening and go for a longer drive and see what happens.

Putting this on a 474 Pontiac in a 77 TA.

67church
10-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Jeff, how did the test drive go for you?

2KWIK4U
10-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I would like to know too. I would like to put it on my zz4 crate engine.

MonzaRacer
10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
dont knock Megasquirt either, in lots of ways its severely over looked even if you have to use a laptop or net book.
I have also added fi by using GM EFI computers and going to Moates.net and buying computer tuning parts.
Another neat thing on specific systems like using GM stuff is that parts can be bought in just about any time, any place.

JeffT
11-02-2010, 06:12 AM
The test drive was fine, I only got to put about 5-6 miles on it. I did notice that it seemed flat when making sudden throttle changes so I bumped the accel fuel up a couple of points and that helped remedy that condition. I didn't get to do much else as the guy I was doing the install for took a deposit on the car and pretty much the next time it drove was into the back of a transport truck.

jerhofer
12-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I just installed the EZ-EFI in my '77 Camaro. It is working out well so far. I was able to get the idle set at 850RPM with the IAC right around 20, which is what FAST says is the optimum figure. It is starting and running great.

I did a full write up on my blog.

www.jerryforthofer.wordpress.com

old66tiger
12-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice write up. Who is your blog host?

jerhofer
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Nice write up. Who is your blog host?

Thanks. I use Wordpress for both mine and my wife's blog. Very easy to set up. She is an artist and publishes her latest paintings there.

www.sforthofer.wordpress.com

jerhofer
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I did run into a problem with my EZ-EFI. I was having some starting issues and, while it would idle correctly after initial startup, if I got into stop and go traffic, it wanted to die. I called FAST and they recommended that, because of the Super Victor intake and my cam, that I should up the IAC to around 35. Did that and took a spin though town. So far so good. It is both starting and idling better.

By the way, I have called FAST three or four times either during or since installing the system. I have never failed to reach someone on the first call and they have been very knowledgeable, helpful and....patient!! My neighbor has had similar results on his calls to them.