PDA

View Full Version : shock stagger question

SR71
09-04-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm in the process of minitubbing my car for some additional tire clearance. the shocks are going to be moved inside the frame rails. should I stay with the staggered set-up or go with both shocks on the rear of the axle? oh, the rear springs are 200 lb landrums with a 1" block and the shocks are hotchkis bilsteins.

if I do stay staggered, will it change anything to reverse the stagger front to rear?

thanks for any input.

ArtosDracon
09-05-2010, 12:56 AM
With leaf springs you do want to keep the shocks staggered, it helps with axle wrap and what not. However, moving them inboard is going to change motion ratios so you're going to feel the same over a bump, but softer around corners, just a heads up. And you want the passenger side forward to better compensate for torque, just like the three link guys put the upper link on the passenger side.

Kenova
09-05-2010, 06:58 AM
And you want the passenger side forward to better compensate for torque, just like the three link guys put the upper link on the passenger side.
.... which makes you wonder why the GM engineers put the torque arm on the driver's side.
We now take you back to the original topic.....

Ken

andy70rs
09-05-2010, 07:19 AM
I did a staggerred shock set up in the rear also on my 70 RS this also means when you convert to discs at the rear the disc calipers will also need to be staggerred, one to the front and the other side to the rear.

andy70rs
09-05-2010, 07:20 AM
staggerred shock set up means you have to stagger any disc brake set up you may put on the rear too.

MrQuick
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
staggerred shock set up means you have to stagger any disc brake set up you may put on the rear too.
not if he is mini tubing, relocating the shocks creates lots of room.

vince

SR71
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
that is correct. since I am moving the shocks to the inside of the frame and springs, I should be able to use non staggered calipers. I do NOT want my calipers staggered.

ArtosDracon
09-05-2010, 07:23 PM
You shouldn't need to with them inside the frame rails, I sure can't think of any reason you would need to...

ProTour69Bird
10-19-2010, 09:33 PM
i was recently wondering the same thing, about the stagger... so it helps with axle wrap, but if i run stiff springs, adj shocks, and a watts. would this secure the rearend enough to unstagger the shocks? thinkin it would be easier to mount the shocks inline, on a 'c' chanel, like the one in the dse kit, and not angle it for the shocks front to back. curious.

ArtosDracon
10-20-2010, 02:28 AM
It's going to depend completely on the springs. There are some re-enforced front segment leaves from AFCO that generally negate axle wrap. You can do a lot by altering the stock springs too.