PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Pump

72ratnova
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
so my power steering pump on my 72 nova was making the noise like it was out of fluid, but was good on fluid, so i figured the pump just went bad, so i replaced the pump and the press. and return lines. once back together, no problems, drove the car for 5 days and tonight it started to make the grinding noise, check the fluid and was just fine? so my question is why would it work perfect all week and start acting up now and any idea's on whats gone wrong

ArtosDracon
09-03-2010, 10:48 PM
That noise could as easily be from metal getting into the pump from a bad box.

Roadrage David
09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Is it grinding ore wining noise. wining noise is that you pump can be over heated and hase to mutch oil flow to cool and lubricate itself. restrickting valve/ oil cooler could do the job..I have the same problem and Hydratech pointed me out to do this, havend don it yet tho..

72ratnova
09-08-2010, 09:09 AM
so the noise went away, but i figured out it comes back after i do some highway driving. so my new question is it somehow involved in pulley system when it reaches higher speed

Rod
09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
comes back after highway speeds = overheating the power steering fluid, the high RPM's of the freeway driving is forcing the pump to put out about 10 or 20 times the volume that is needed. At speed the hoses are the restriction to the flow, the fluid is moving so fast it heats up and foams the oil. maybe you could use longer hoses, or a synthetic fluid, I would recommend a power steering cooler