PDA

View Full Version : valvetrain noise

kapittma
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I just built my 327 a couple months ago its the original block with a camshaft from a 385 fast burn crate motor and roller lifters from comp cams and lifters aswell and I have some stamped roller tip rockers( that i accidentally ordered) for now. Is lifter noise normal? Somewhere in the valvetrain i am hearing a tick and one mechanic i talked to said it was normal for a roller motor to tick but it just seems wierd to me and I finally came across someone stating (lifter tick) and i decided i would ask someone about it. Any suggestions on getting rid of the noise or is it normal? Thanks for your time.

OHCbird
05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Did you use the late-model replacement rollers (hydraulic)? Also- Try to isolate whether it's one lifter (possibly a rocker, too), or all of them. Use the ear & 'stethoscope' method.

It could also be an exhaust leak that sound alot lick a tick- SBCs are infamous for it. Give it the sniff test, or turn out the lights while it's running (after it's warmed up). You should be able to see the flames.