PDA

View Full Version : Dead steering issues!!!

69camarokid
09-01-2010, 11:04 PM
So i had about 4 inches of dead steering on center with my old steering set up. So i picked up nad installed a new cpp 500 series steering box and pitman arm.

But i still have the 4 inches of dead steering! ugh. Once im out of the dead zone the steering is much better. So im assuming the dead area is being caused by something in the coloum perhaps?
any ideas on the issue and ways to check / fix it? thanks

Roadbuster
09-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Get a friend to help turn the wheel while you watch under the hood and the front wheels. If the steering wheel is turning and the steering box lags you have at least a column problem. More than likely the rag joint. if the pitman arm attached to the steering box moves and the tires lag then you have at least linkage problem, usually worn out parts. Note you can have both!

If that all checks out, how is your alignment? Don't go with the factory specs for your car, go with a modern spec.

In general you should carefully inspect all the front end parts for wear and play and replace worn parts. Make sure no cotter pins are missing!

Hope it helps

69camarokid
09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
i forgot to mention the ragjoint was also replaced with a new one when the new steering box and pitman arm were installed. Ill grab a buddy and check the rest

John Wright
09-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Grab a buddy to turn the wheel for you and have the hood open and a creeper handy...watch the steering action from the rag joint on out to the wheels.....something is worn to give you that much play.

It may be a combination of worn parts to create that much free play. All of the little tolerances adding up to create a large amount of play.

Nessumsar
09-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Sounds like you probably have some sloppy tie-rod ends and/or idler arm.

It's pretty cheap to replace them all, Summit has pretty good prices on all of that stuff.

69camarokid
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you probably have some sloppy tie-rod ends and/or idler arm.

It's pretty cheap to replace them all, Summit has pretty good prices on all of that stuff.

Ill check it out. Too bad u wernt at the track, it was a blast. there was a sick 69 camaro, a early 60s ford truck and a sweet 68 chevelle running. WE ran my buddies 350z and spun out once, intense! He offered to let me drive it, but we couldnt get to the front to sign the liability waiver before the session ended.... damn

Nessumsar
09-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Rob's truck is pretty cool, and that was Karl (406Qship) in the Chevelle. I was pretty bummed I couldn't make it, but it looks like I wasn't the only one...

69camarokid
09-03-2010, 08:09 AM
well i had my dad give the wheel a twist last night as i peered into the engine bay in the dark and it was obvious that the box was turning in sync with the wheel. And since the pitman arm was also relaced, as the last ones bushing was completely worn out, then my linkage underneath must be bad.

Any ways to check and know exactly what parts need to be replaced? thanks

Nessumsar
09-03-2010, 08:30 AM
You need to get under the car with it on its wheels (this way everything is in it's "used" position). Best way would be to use some of those plastic ramps. Have someone "wiggle" the wheel enough to make the pitman arm move and check and see if the idler arm moves with it. If it does, then check to see if the tierod ends move with the idler/pitman.

If you haven't replaced either of these before, I would suggest doing it anyway (budget permitting).

69camarokid
09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
well, i was under the car and everything seemed to move as it should, but i thought i saw a slight delay on the inner tie rod end on the pitman arm side.

I replaced all the tie rod ends about 4 and a half years ago a little after i first bought the car. But im tired of this guessing crap so i just picked up replacement inner and outer tie rod ends for both sides. hopefully thatll take care of it.

Mingus
09-04-2010, 03:49 AM
It sounds like the idler arm is probably at least partially responsible. I used to have a lifted Blazer that ate them up every 6 months or so. When you're turning the wheels see if it moves up and down. Just a little up and down movement creates a lot of steering slop.

69camarokid
09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
i got the new tie rod ends in and the steering seemsmuch more smooth, although this is with the front end jacked in the air and no tires on.... so well see.

If there is any slop left then ill go pick up the idler arm like was suggested.

thanks for all the help