PDA

View Full Version : Stripes?

third base
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
After staring at some pictures for a while I was thinking of doing some satin black stripes on my car, and re-doing the tail peice in satin black. Just an idea though. Any ideas of a stripe scheme???What do you guys think? Or should I just leave it?Also, how do you clean up the satin/flat black once it is done(waxing,etc.)?

ViperBlue68
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
I'd say go with the stripes (Z-28) and ditch the tail panel idea...will look alot cleaner IMHO...just my .02 cents.............

ProdigyCustoms
05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
I would consider a hockey stick stripe, and the satin panel.

third base
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing Prodigy? Anybody else with some opinions? I am open to anything, doesn't have to be stock camaro stripes either.

Happyfunballs
05-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Single, wide ass stripe down the center and leave the rear panel alone? Or if you want to satin the rear panel, choose a different color for the stripe/stripes.

tndude
05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd go with the hockey stripes and leave the rear alone.

Travis B
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Flat black is killer however it is very hard to take care of! No buffing, no sanding, no waxing!

I'm with prodigy hockey stripes and tail panel

third base
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
I have no experience with satin black. How do you clean it up, how do you clean up the color near the satin black. My main question now is...is it worth it?

Travis B
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Cool factor yes it is worth it!
How hard is it to keep up I don't know for sure

ProdigyCustoms
05-18-2005, 02:21 AM
As discussed in other threads, You can do satin black using a few different products that will not be porous and give good maintainable results. Personally I choose the activated, flattened acrylic enamel, or single stage urethane. Some like satin clear coat. Either probably works fine.
There is one issue though you will deal with weather you choose Z stripes, hockey stick, Bumble Bee stripe, and that will be a sharp edge. There is no real way to bury the stripe under clear when the panel is glossy and the stripe is mate finish. You will have a pretty sharp line due to the thickness of the paints you will have to use that will be durable. In the day, when we did restorations and the stripe was supposed to be on top of the paint, we broke the edge with 1000 grit and buffed gently to avoid a sharp stripe line. With a mate finish stripe, you will not be able to break this line because you cannot buff it.
The only way to avoid the sharp break line and thick material build up would be to use lacquer. but with lacquer you will have those maintenance issues, and God forbid if you ever get near it with wax or a bird craps!

scogin918
05-18-2005, 05:11 AM
My car will be silver with a red BumbleBee stripe up front and the satin black tail panel. Don't be afraid to mix up the colors.

DJ Mabe
05-18-2005, 06:15 AM
I like the hockey stripe best but I would get your painter to mix up a darker version of your base color. Just ghost the hockey stripe. Everyone has an opinion right. Good luck, your car looks great.

Derrick

third base
05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
The ghost idea is interesting. How does that work exactly?

68protouring454
05-18-2005, 12:18 PM
i usually just use whatever color pearl is in the basecoat, or pic a color if it is solid, then tape off what i want and mix dry pearl with basecoat colorless and spray, then clear, this way you can knock edge down some, but to be best i would re-clear entire fender and door, that way you can almost kill the edge of the two, then only on side view or at angles will you see the stripe etc, using a colorless (clear) basecoat helps keep the thickness of stripe down,and allows pearl to be applied nice and even with no hassle, where as using a clear it will build up a bunch and be harder to hide
goodluck
jake

Steve Chryssos
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Come up with your own stripe or a modification of an existing theme like an exaggerated hockey stripe (longer and fatter up front). Given the dark silver base, you can do a custom stripe in black that will still look understated.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif