PDA

View Full Version : Machining Drum Hubs for C5/C6 conversion

analyte
08-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Where is everyone getting there drum hubs turned down for the C5/C6 conversion? I've called everyone machine shop I can find in the phone book plus internet searches, and I can't find anyone that will/can do it.

I even tried engine machine shops to no avail. I'm in middle Tennessee if that helps, but I really need some tips on where to get this done.

Thanks,
Kerry

69importkilla
08-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd do it for you for free, if you're willing to ship out to Connecticut??

analyte
08-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd do it for you for free, if you're willing to ship out to Connecticut??

Thanks alot for the offer!! I'd like to find someone local to limit the downtime, but I'll keep your offer on my mind. Shipping can't be much different than what someone would charge.

Thanks,
Kerry

1badchevelle
08-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Let me check to see if I have a set. I went with a ATS set up. Their yours just pay shipping.

73z-6sp
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Cost me 50 dollars to get mine turned. :( I found the guy on craigslist. Had them done in a couple of hours though which was nice.

Apogee
08-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Have you spoken to shops that turn rotors drums and rotors? I've seen a few guys do them on brake lathes with respectable results, although a standard lathe would be faster and easier IMO. Knock the studs out so you can chuck off the snout if you haven't already.

Tobin
KORE3

analyte
08-31-2010, 06:55 AM
I called brake shops first thinking it wouldn't be a problem. When everyone told me no, I started calling machine shops to no avail. I'm actually surprised its been this difficult considering how simple it should be.

68firebird
08-31-2010, 11:29 AM
I had mine done at a local machine shop, it cost me $50 too. after I picked them up the dude asked me what I needed the hubs turned down for because he's never had anyone ask to do that. I would assume if a machine shop has a lathe they should be able to do it, they might just be lazy and not want to bother.

Nessumsar
08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
Let me check to see if I have a set. I went with a ATS set up. Their yours just pay shipping.

If he doesn't take you up on it, I would like to come buy them from you. I'm right down the road.

Topless69
09-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Fabian if those two gentalman fall through I'll pay shipping on those.
Jeoff J.

1badchevelle
09-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I only found one set of 68-72 chevelle hubs. I can have them machined down to any dia you want. Let me know if you still want them. I will be picking up more hubs as I got plenty of pm's for these things.

I will have for sale 2 sets of c5 rear calipers rebuilt and powder coated red( bracket will be red as well)

analyte
09-02-2010, 05:10 PM
I only found one set of 68-72 chevelle hubs. I can have them machined down to any dia you want. Let me know if you still want them. I will be picking up more hubs as I got plenty of pm's for these things.

I will have for sale 2 sets of c5 rear calipers rebuilt and powder coated red( bracket will be red as well)

I'll take them. pm sent

Thanks,
Kerry

Vicinity
09-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Have you spoken to shops that turn rotors drums and rotors? I've seen a few guys do them on brake lathes with respectable results, although a standard lathe would be faster and easier IMO. Knock the studs out so you can chuck off the snout if you haven't already.

Tobin
KORE3

Like Tires Plus and Mr. Tire?

Apogee
09-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Like Tires Plus and Mr. Tire?

:dunno: I'm in Oregon and we don't have either of those businesses here, but maybe if they turn drums/rotors. I've seen standard machine shops shy away from automotive work for liability reasons, although I've never really understood why to be quite honest. Many of these same shops do industrial/military/aerospace stuff all of the time with much higher liability consequences, so I don't know what the deal is except they must just not need or want the work. I was just trying to give you some more options since you can, in a pinch, cut down the hub flanges in a brake lathe. A manual machine shop would still be my first choice. If your local high school or community college has a machining program, you might check with them. It really shouldn't be this hard, but I understand that every area of the country can be different.

Tobin
KORE3

Vicinity
09-07-2010, 04:26 PM
:dunno: I'm in Oregon and we don't have either of those businesses here, but maybe if they turn drums/rotors. I've seen standard machine shops shy away from automotive work for liability reasons, although I've never really understood why to be quite honest. Many of these same shops do industrial/military/aerospace stuff all of the time with much higher liability consequences, so I don't know what the deal is except they must just not need or want the work. I was just trying to give you some more options since you can, in a pinch, cut down the hub flanges in a brake lathe. A manual machine shop would still be my first choice. If your local high school or community college has a machining program, you might check with them. It really shouldn't be this hard, but I understand that every area of the country can be different.

Tobin
KORE3

Ah, I got ya. I was just having trouble finding a machine shop around where I live, our area isn't too "industrial", but I suppose I can drive up the road the check. The places I listed are like Jiffy Lube or Aamco, just a general maintenance place (tires, oil, brakes, all that jazz).

Thanks Tobin.

796spdbu
09-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I had mine turned down at the local Orielly's. I know the guys there pretty well so that helped me get mine turned.

shep
09-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I would check auto zone, Napa, any place that can turn drums and rotors can do this. I turned mine down on a 3 in 1 lathe mill drill press. It took a while but I got it done.