PDA

View Full Version : 79 malibu spring/shock question

malibu1347AD
08-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Ok so I know I'm going w/the circle track springs with adjuster cups from speed way for my 79 malibu. My question is which ones do I need for the back? I'm going w/the tru coil 5.5 x 9.5 for the fronts... Not really sure which spring rate I should go with, any advice there as well? Can I use the same tru coils in the back? What spring rate for the back? I haven't found any tru coils that can be used to lower the rear of the car that fit the perches, what can I do about this? Right now my bu is about 2.5-3" in the rear... and 3" in the front... so I was gonna use the adjuster cups on the front springs to get my ride height, but I have no idea what to do about the rears.

Not really getting into total suspension tuning yet so this is more to help stop some of the body roll I'm getting from my cut 30yr old front springs and fox body mustang cut springs in the rear...I just heard these springs could give you the ride height you like, are fairly cheap, and actually work pretty good. I figured the tru coils and then whats a decent set of shocks?

Thanks guys!!

ArtosDracon
08-27-2010, 11:11 PM
IMHO the best shocks you can get for the front without going to a QA1 or Vari-Shock adjustable set are the Bilsteins for the S10 ZQ8.

What made you decide to go with the 9.5" with adjusters instead of just getting 11s?

Springrate is tough, what engine do you have? Do you have any of the aluminum nose parts?

malibu1347AD
08-28-2010, 04:06 AM
IMHO the best shocks you can get for the front without going to a QA1 or Vari-Shock adjustable set are the Bilsteins for the S10 ZQ8.

What made you decide to go with the 9.5" with adjusters instead of just getting 11s?

Springrate is tough, what engine do you have? Do you have any of the aluminum nose parts?

Well honestly b/c I don't know the exact drop the car has now b/c I was out of cash at the time from getting it together so the springs are cut. But I love the stance and want to be able to get back to it, w/out having to cut springs. I'm afraid if I get the 11's they will be too tall. Plus these are the ones my buddy has on his pro touring regal with a ton of other wicked suspension and his car sits where I want mine too as well. I have zero aluminum nose parts... its still an iron headed sbc. I'll definitely check into those bilsteins. I had them on my old DD that had some suspension work and loved them. I still don't know what to do about lowering the rear? Somebody on here in a previous thread said they used the afco or tru coils for the rear but I can't find them on speedway anywhere... at least none that fit the perches. Here is the stance now... could maybe go a tiny bit lower in the back but I like the rake to it and the front has gotta be close to 3" easy.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

EDIT: Thanks for the help as well!

nowukno
08-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok so I know I'm going w/the circle track springs with adjuster cups from speed way for my 79 malibu. My question is which ones do I need for the back? I'm going w/the tru coil 5.5 x 9.5 for the fronts... Not really sure which spring rate I should go with, any advice there as well? Can I use the same tru coils in the back? What spring rate for the back? I haven't found any tru coils that can be used to lower the rear of the car that fit the perches, what can I do about this? Right now my bu is about 2.5-3" in the rear... and 3" in the front... so I was gonna use the adjuster cups on the front springs to get my ride height, but I have no idea what to do about the rears.

Not really getting into total suspension tuning yet so this is more to help stop some of the body roll I'm getting from my cut 30yr old front springs and fox body mustang cut springs in the rear...I just heard these springs could give you the ride height you like, are fairly cheap, and actually work pretty good. I figured the tru coils and then whats a decent set of shocks?

Thanks guys!!go with the rear CPP A-body 2" lowering springs for the rear,perfect drop I have them on my 79. kyb or bilsteins for shocks will get the job done.

malibu1347AD
08-30-2010, 07:41 AM
go with the rear CPP A-body 2" lowering springs for the rear,perfect drop I have them on my 79. kyb or bilsteins for shocks will get the job done.

What size tires are on the front and rear of your malibu... those are 17" wheels right?

Looks sweet!

nowukno
08-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Yes they are 17's 17x8 all around. front 225/45/17 rear 255/45/17. also check out this site www.gbodycentral.com.

nowukno
08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
CPP (classic performance products) rear A body 2" drop spring on a g body
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/IMG_0679-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/IMG_0680-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/IMG_0678-1.jpg

malibu1347AD
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Sweet, I looked at the bu on your car domain, and it looks taller in the pics on car domain.. were they before you put the 2" drops on? If it sits like you've got it in the pictures on here with just the 2" drop springs then I'm definitely going w/those for the rear and the circle tracks springs in the front w/adj cups.

Thanks!

nowukno
08-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Sweet, I looked at the bu on your car domain, and it looks taller in the pics on car domain.. were they before you put the 2" drops on? If it sits like you've got it in the pictures on here with just the 2" drop springs then I'm definitely going w/those for the rear and the circle tracks springs in the front w/adj cups.

Thanks!
Yes,those are before pics,the ones I posted today are the a body coils