PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my rear suspension?

vannatta20
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Today I went to remove my lowering blocks from my 68 bird. I removed the pass side first then sit the car down to see how it sat. It was almost level in the rear by within1 inch. The side the the lowering block was just slightly lower but it still had a a 3 inch block in it! I then removed the 3 inch block and put in the 1 and 1/2 block. The car now sits level the the rear end is higher on the drivers side? Did lowering blocks cause the one of the leafs to lose arch? The car makes 420 hp to the wheels. The springs are stock replacements... Anyone have this happen? And by level I mean the measurement from the top of the tire to the wheel well lip matching both sides

MrQuick
08-26-2010, 09:01 PM
normal, could be a difference in the front spring, rear spring or bushing friction. try lifting the left front fender and you'll see what im talking about.

08-27-2010, 03:45 AM
nice bird.. I was thinking of putting 3 in lowering blocks temporary. How did you like the result and why did you remove them. thanks in advance. derek

vannatta20
08-27-2010, 05:06 AM
I had to raise it up due to speed bumps and spike strips. I think adding the blocks increased the axle wrap effect and damaged my springs. I now have over 2 inchs ride height difference side to side.

08-27-2010, 08:32 AM
That sounds about right. Maybe it will settle? Do you have a stock rearend and did the lower shock mounts hit your rim when you lowered it? Reason I ask is with my 15 inch rims it looks like the lower shock mounts will hit the rim..if a put the 3 inch spacer in,but with bigger rims it may not..and you have bigger rims. I plan on eventually taking the leafspring out of the equation when I convert the rear end with a g-bar suspension. I also have a ladderbar setup which will help stabilize the rear when i put the lowering blocks in. Atleast i think it will? Good luck with your ride. I plan on putting 18s or 19s this winter and I want to lower it before I get them.

vannatta20
08-27-2010, 10:50 PM
The shocks almost hit my rims. They are very close...

ArtosDracon
08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
You could have a lot of bushing bind on it from the rapid changes in height. Do you have poly bushings? If you can I would grease every bushing you can and bounce on the rear bumper a few times to help it settle. I'm not saying this will fix it, but it could.