PDA

View Full Version : Flat Black re-visited

Modo Innovations
05-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Did the question ever get answered on how to get rid of the over spray lines on the flat black paint? I am really considering this as an option for my car. The things that are keeping me from it are:

1. overspray lines
2. durability (oil stains/fuel, and other chemicals even oil from finger prints
3. fading

I know a flat paint is porous and a gloss is sealed.

Thanks,
Shannon

Rick D
05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Dupont Hot Hues has a new flat paint called Hot Rod Black. It is real nice and it is as strong as single stage paint other than you can't buff it. I painted a C10 Chevy in it and it came out cool. Works best if you have a spray booth to paint in but can be sprayed in home shop with right prep work.

Rick

68protouring454
05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
go with spies or standox flat-semi gloss clear, you use regular black base coat then clear with the semi gloss clear, depending on flattness wanted you can add flattener to the clear also
jake

mopork
05-15-2005, 01:40 PM
try a single stage paint most of those are available with a flattener additive so your surface will be sealed with the proper lack of gloss

68protouring454
05-15-2005, 02:11 PM
he wants something that does not smudge, get dirty and nearly impossible to clean up, i would go with the clear, i am going to be doing a 67 mustangs engine bay over and it will get blak base with the semi gloss clear, no way around it, this stangs engine bay will clean easily for years
jake

Modo Innovations
05-15-2005, 03:31 PM
So with the semi gloss clear I am thinking that you will still have the overspray stripes that cannot be buffed? I guess the sheen of the repro body panels would be ok. What about smudges?

68protouring454
05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
overspray?? where?? you will have a tape line but no overpsray, not sure i know what you mean?
jake

ProdigyCustoms
05-15-2005, 05:13 PM
I think he means dry stripes. If you use good stuff, stripes should be no issue. If you use a product with a hardner (activator), you will close the pores, but still not be able to polish it.

Modo Innovations
05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks Frank,
Dry stripes is what I'm talking about. I have seen them on older hot rods and to me it just looks like primer when it has those.

Shannon

bnickel
05-16-2005, 07:19 AM
all the blackout on my car is the Hot Rod Black and it i a base clear as well. it's also waxable and doesn't give much shine or gloss to the paint and actually makes it look a bit blacker, while it does add a bit of sheen it isn't very much.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/bnickel69gt