PDA

View Full Version : Some basic questions... (wiring)

TheRoaringEagle
05-14-2005, 07:05 PM
i don't know much about wiring. i'm taking my time with my painless wiring kit. pretty easy and straight forward. just a few things though. i have an electric choke on my carb and the power wire used to go through the firewall separately and i think it was spliced into an existing wire. where can i hook up my electric choke wire to?

also i have a high beam indicator wire for the instrument panel but don't know where it would go. this parking officer was telling me that high beam indicators are the only gauges that are mandatory on a vehicle and that that was the only thing he had in his hot rod. is there one on a 67 camaro dash?

and for my extra gauge lighting, can i tap the power wires into the wire for the stock instrumental panel lighting?

thanks...

383blown
05-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Small red dot between the speedo and fuel guage at the top of the centerpanel it is a single wire that grounds thru the top middle screw that holds the cluster assy to the dash

OHCbird
05-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Your choke wire should be hooked to an ignition-on circuit, preferrably it's own (don't tap off the coil). You only want it to have power when the key is in the on position.

As was said before- the red 'dot' between the gauges is your high beam indicator. It's normally fed by the light green wire coming off the dimmer switch (the 20 ga).

TheRoaringEagle
05-14-2005, 10:49 PM
darn it, i think the indicator is missing. i saw the hole in between my fuel and speedo gauges and suspected it was that or another mounting hole. could i get an led light and wire that in there using the same wire?

can you give ex. of ignition on circuit?

383blown
05-15-2005, 10:44 AM
You could probably use a car alarm light but the original or a repro might be available thru yearone or classic ind!

TheRoaringEagle
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
actually i'm thinking of not usng the stock bezel and making something out of fiberglass. is there a connector that can connect to the stock instrument connector? i want to be able to have all the same warning and signal lights i have now.