PDA

View Full Version : Curing portland cement

absintheisfun
08-18-2010, 05:37 PM
HELP!
I know this could have just as easily gone in "off topic" but it is kind of time sensitive...Anyone who knows concrete, please chime in!

I put in a slope to my garage entrance(about 2 inches high, 11 inches long). Given that it is 105 degrees here in Dallas, I let it set for about an hour, sprinkled it with water and then covered it with plastic so it wouldn't dry too fast.
How long should I keep the plastic over the cement? I know that leaving it wet too long is just as bad as drying too fast...

??????

Thanks!

Gitter Dun
08-18-2010, 06:00 PM
First off, a 2" section of concrete over concrete is not going to last very long, especially with the heat you get out there. Secondly, you want to use a wet blanket, not plastic.

If you have just placed the concrete, you can buy a curing compound to spray over the top of it. Curing compound acts as a membrane and depending on brand, in hotter weather you typically apply it when there is no more sign of moisture. In cooler weather I typically wait till the next day. The curing compound will also keep the concrete from soaking water which if the concrete you placed is to pourous will eventually deteriorate.

If I was desperate and wanted to place concrete the way I think you did, I would have placed some sort of chicken wire to act as rebar then after it cured used a curing compound.