PDA

View Full Version : More cars at SEMA 2010 than in 2009?

Moabdude
08-16-2010, 03:07 AM
Last year was my first year at SEMA. Some told me in 2007 and 2008 the amount of cars on the parking lot outside was 4 x more than in 2009.

How about 2010. Do you think there will be more cars present than in 2009?

MuscleRodz
08-16-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't think it was 4x bigger in '07, but there was definitely alot more cars in '07 when i was there over '09. The bigger difference was the number of companies that showed. I think about 30% of the wheel building was empty in '09 when it was full in '07, and the offroad building in '09 also included ATV which was not present in '07 and still was not full. Number of cars and companies will greatly depend on how well the market rebounded this year. It is not cheap to come to SEMA for anyone

DriverzInc
08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Number of cars and companies will greatly depend on how well the market rebounded this year. It is not cheap to come to SEMA for anyone

Exactly. Why should Michelin spend 1 million dollars to be there when they don't get any more business for being there than if they didn't go? When the economy is down, its hard to justify spending that kind of money when there is no immediate reciprocation.

paul67
08-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Maybe they should to letting the public in then

youthpastor
08-17-2010, 08:20 AM
SEMA lifted the amount of "feature cars" that companies can bring- that tells me they are trying to fill some space- Chris

but...if you goto the SEMA website they say there are more companies pregistered this year than last..

Bryce
08-17-2010, 09:01 AM
I went last year for the first time! I will be there this year as well.

okyankee
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
i was there in 07. it was nuts, i thought it was always like that though.

DynoDon
08-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I have been going since 1975, when it was still in Anaheim. It used to mean something to have a SEMA feature car, now every yahoo with a bunch of sticker's all over the car, lowered (Or lifted) with a set of the latest wheels is allowed out there.
Personally I would prefer that it was cut way back to cars that truly special, arranged so that you can actually see them!

And as a manufacturer, i would not want them to open this to the public. We spend a lot of money to do a TRADE show. We are there to do business with our wholesale customers. It would drive our cost up further if they added retail or public days with more personnel, different pricing sheets, more hotel costs etc.
There are plenty of retail shows for Retail consumers to see the latest products. JMHO