PDA

View Full Version : Tubular LCAs with screw in BJs?

TLWiltman
08-15-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm currently building a front suspension for a '73 camaro... The spindles I have are Stock Car Products suoer speedway spindles. I've had no trouble fing UCAs for this application, but finding an LCA that will accept a K727 BJ is a little more problematic... Any ideas on who can modify a set or makes one like this?

Bryce
08-16-2010, 05:04 AM
check out howe.

or you could always build your own.

silver69camaro
08-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Like Bryce said, Howe will pretty much be your only option. The downside with their ball joints is they are not for long-term use; the minimum preload they use is great for reducing friction but shortens the life span.

John Wright
08-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Like Bryce said, Howe will pretty much be your only option. The downside with their ball joints is they are not for long-term use; the minimum preload they use is great for reducing friction but shortens the life span....but their ball joints are rebuildable.

79T/Aman
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
We can make you a set of tubular ones or new stock stamped ones with the correct ball joint cup.

TLWiltman
08-16-2010, 08:26 PM
We can make you a set of tubular ones or new stock stamped ones with the correct ball joint cup.

I'll have to check this out. Thank you all.

silver69camaro
08-17-2010, 04:57 AM
...but their ball joints are rebuildable.

Personally, I wouldn't like busting apart the suspension to rebuild the ball joints frequently. That would get old real quick!

JRouche
08-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Personally, I wouldn't like busting apart the suspension to rebuild the ball joints frequently. That would get old real quick!

I think the point was they ARE rebuildable. Not that they even need to be. Howe makes some of the best ball joints available. JR

silver69camaro
08-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Right, I'm just saying they will wear out much faster than a normal ball joint. We couldn't sell a chassis if the customer knew all four ball joints had to be rebuilt every once and a while. You shouldn't have to worry about your ball joints every 5k miles...just doesn't make sense for a street car.

Marcus SC&C
08-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Matt, with all due respect you are absolutely wrong and spreading misinformation. You may be thinking of Afco`s "pre-worn out" low friction stock type ball joints. *Howe* Precision Series ball joints outlast ANY factory ball joint I have ever used. I have nearly 120,000 all weather street miles on one set with no discernable wear. We have many other sets with over 50,000 miles on them and no measurable wear. Howe ball joints are extreme durability pieces built far and beyond the lowest bidder construction of typical OE ball joints. Howe is a major supplier to the US Army and Marines with Precision Series ball joints (using exactly the same format, materials and coatings) used on up armored Hummvees. They have been in use, in theater in Iraq and Afganistan for several years now, far outlasting the original failure prone milspec parts. Get your facts straight.

To the OP, you can convert stock LCAs to screw in with weld in adapters sold by any circle track supplier. They run about $10ea. Mark SC&C

silver69camaro
08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Marcus, my information is striaght from Howe themselves. I agree they build a excellent product, and I'm glad they've worked well for you (and thousands of other people, also). Perhaps their sales guy should be more aware of their BJ's capabilities.

Marcus SC&C
08-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I agree, it`s hard to get phone sales people who really know the products in any business. At least they don`t transfer you to somebody in India who answers the phone "I am being Dave". :) Mark SC&C