PDA

View Full Version : First gen camaro rear sway bar?

SINISTER68
08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
:help!::drive2:Anyone using a rear sway bar kit on a firtst gen camaro? Is it needed for a street pro touring set up with a 3" rear leaf drop?

ProdigyCustoms
08-15-2010, 04:57 PM
There are people how love rear sway bars and people that do not. Many feel they can make a car loose in the rear, but most of us would rather drive a car that was a little loose.

There are so many factors that play into weather a car needs a rear bar or not. Driving style, tires size? Tire size differential front to rear,? Weight bias front to rear?...............................It is hard to say weather someone needs a sway bar or not.

Hotchkis makes a real nice rear sway bar set up that we sell quite a few of if you decide you need one.

Gandalf
01-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Frank - would you recomend running a rear bar with a (v1) G-Bar setup on 1st Gen? AM front sub, 9.5" x 18" front wheels w/275 tire, narrowed Moser rear w/12" x 18" w/335 tire.

RAnthony97
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Would a FAYS2 Watts Link (http://fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_22_.html) be a better option than a rear sway bar for lateral control?

JRouche
01-28-2011, 09:16 PM
There are people how love rear sway bars and people that do not. Many feel they can make a car loose in the rear, but most of us would rather drive a car that was a little loose.

There are so many factors that play into weather a car needs a rear bar or not. Driving style, tires size? Tire size differential front to rear,? Weight bias front to rear?...............................It is hard to say weather someone needs a sway bar or not.

Thats great advice. I agree with it and cant add much. It depends on the car and the type of handling you want. Im sure there are folks using a sway bar with the suspension you have. And just as many driving their cars without one.

But Im sure you want to hear from the folks that have one to see if there has been any issues right. Or gains. I get it. Learn from the folks that have already done what you are thinking about. Good question. Its good to hear from the folks that have done it, been there and get first hand info.

Im sure there are some, I hope they pipe up and give you some insight. JR

JRouche
01-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Would a FAYS2 Watts Link (http://fays2.net/fays2_watts_link_22_.html) be a better option than a rear sway bar for lateral control?

Hi Anthony. I dont think he is looking for lateral control, he has leaf springs. But maybe looking for vertical control with a sway bar.

And it looks like yours is a question so Ill go with the question. A watts link is used for lateral (side to side) control of the car body (or suspension, how ever you like to look at it).

A sway bar will control suspension movement for vertical movement. Like when the body rolls during a turn it will control the body roll, hence the term roll bar.

But good looking out. I like to see ALL the posts here. Keep the suggestions coming. Wrong or right, any help is help and thats what this forum is about. Giving help, possible helpful input and guys sharing the cars they have. JR