PDA

View Full Version : 69 Camaro Rear Suspension Help

Kevin
08-28-2004, 06:15 AM
I am building a pro touring 69 Camaro. I have a 9'' that will be built to fit 17x11 Boyd rims with 315x35zr17 Nitto drag radials.What would be the best setup to go with. I have mono springs now. DSE springs & shackels are over $700. A 4 link or ladder bar is cheeper, which I know cheeper is no always better.I have to keep my rear seat and the car will be mini tubed. Also has anyone used air bag setup front & rear. Thanks for info. Kevin

baz67
08-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Kevin, I would suggest not to use the latter bar. It has great geometry for staight line, but it is nasty for hard cornering. I read a post that David Pozzi wrote about a friend of his that had his ladder bar car on a road coarse and about rolled it in a turn. I hope my memory serves me here.

A properly designed fou link can be very good. Just look at the Mule, IIMuch or awr68's car. They have gone about it at three different ways and each achieved a good design.

Brian

Ralph LoGrasso
08-28-2004, 03:29 PM
I would also stay away from the air bags, for a pro-touring car.

awr68
08-28-2004, 06:19 PM
WOW!! I'm in a short list with The Mule and II Much...that put a big smile on my face. :) I thought with all the 3-link talk everyone had forgotten about us...thanks Brian!! :)

Kevin, I totally agree with the others, bags and ladder bars are not the best suspension for spirited-hard driving/corning. If you choose to go with a link type susp. never use a diagonal bar to locate the rearend...use a panhard bar and keep it below or at least at the center line of the axle. You can still fit the 4-bar and rear seat...Mark and I both did (with minor trimming), also we still used stock trunk pans too, other than the DSE shock x-member that is.

The DSE kit seems a little pricy at first, but remember that (in most cases) a 4-link/bar kit doesn't include coilovers, lower/upper shock mounts, panhard bar, or x-members...that all adds up quickly and depending on your fab skills and or parts purchased it can easily double or tripple DSE's price! If you haven't purchassed the Deep Tubbs yet you may consider buying DSE's Mini-Tub Kit...if you look at all that is included I think it is truely a great buy...especially if you get in on the group purchase they are having soon.

Basically it all boils down to what is your budget, fab skills, and goals. I was dead set on having custom suspension, so I spent about half a year building and installing mine. You may not have the time or desire to do that...and to be honest, the DSE leafs are proven to hold their own on the street and at track events. I think for the guy that is building a first gen camaro that basically wants a bolt on kit that he knows is going to give him great performance and ride height, you can't beat DSE!! And no, I'm not on their pay roll...just a very satisfied customer!! :)

Kevin
08-29-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. Looks like most cars are set with leafs.I was told with a 4 link rear you could not keep the rear seat. How much of the floor would have to be removed. Thanks,Kevin

baz67
08-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Kevin go check out www.pro-touring.com/water and you can see some of what is done to the floor.
Brian