PDA

View Full Version : young gun

kapeters
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
first time doing this. looking for a few answers. I have a 1970 gto, the problem im having is when the car gets hot, or if i drive it for about 15 min constantly, when i shut if off it doesnt want to start. ive been told that its my starter solenoid has to cool off before the car will start. Is there anyway i can bypass this and put a solenoid on the firewall to keep it cool? ideas and explanations please.
thanks, Kalen

Roadbuster
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
first time doing this. looking for a few answers. I have a 1970 gto, the problem im having is when the car gets hot, or if i drive it for about 15 min constantly, when i shut if off it doesnt want to start. ive been told that its my starter solenoid has to cool off before the car will start. Is there anyway i can bypass this and put a solenoid on the firewall to keep it cool? ideas and explanations please.
thanks, Kalen

Welcome!

Do you have headers? If so they might be too close and you need a thermal barrier on the solenoid (check summit) or you need to get a mini starter to gain an air gap. RobbMc makes a nice adjustable one that you can position the solenoid as far away from the exhaust as possible.

I've had the same problem in my 68 GTO after a 2 hour drive in 95 degree heat. Had to open the hood for a while to let it cool.

Could you post some pics of your car?

kapeters
08-14-2010, 02:11 PM
no i dont have headers. Just the stock manifolds, ive heard about the heat shield from summit, but id like to just run the solenoid to a different position. Wheres the best place to get that part?

taz
08-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I have used a "ford" solenoid on every car I have had that had headers for a couple of reasons.
Biggest is you will not have hot wires at the starter. Makes life very easy when you need to work on it & in the "heat of battle" even if your starter wire ended up on a header it will not short unless you were to try to start the car.
When you adjust the valves if you want to use the starter you have easy access to the solenoid.
It does in fact solve the hot soak problems that plagued GM starters for years especially in motor homes & such.Keep in mind you still have the solenoid on the starter but you eliminate the 14 gauge wires going to the solenoid which over time have more and more resistance also causing heat and solenoid failure . You can do this yourself without buying a kit for about 10 dollars used ford solenoid . But i still run a heat shield . Also do you have anything leaking onto starter and or solenoid .

CruizinKev
08-15-2010, 03:35 AM
welcome aboard!

1971CHEVELLE
08-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the site

kapeters
08-17-2010, 06:31 AM
no i dont have anything leaking onto the starter or solenoid, im going to be getting a heat shield but im also thinking that putting the soleniod on the firewall away from all the heat will be the best thing to do.

JJEH
08-18-2010, 05:24 AM
w e l c o m e :)

dropped72ss
08-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the site! It's full of great info

NOT A TA
08-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Welcome! Since the car's got stock manifolds I'd check the battery first. I always know when it's time for a new one in my 70 Firebird because it acts just as you described.