PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Reccomendation

kmcanally
05-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I am about to start welding up the exhaust system on my 68 Mustang.
I've got JBA shorty headers, Dr. Gas X-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, and Flowmaster mandrel bent tail pipes.

Since I have not seen any good comments about the 40 Flows on this site I am considering changing to the Magnaflows that seem to be more popular. Why is this?

Comments? Suggestions?

Todds69
05-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I think it is all a matter of preference of people wanting something a little different than the next guy. I myself have Flowmasters but I would probably change them the next time for something new, just to mix it up....

69Rathead
05-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Good question KM...I am looking at the 40's too but noticed some people don't like them. Somebody pipe up as to the reasons why they would not go with 40's the next time around or the reasons why they would recommend them if they like them. I currently have glasspacks and they are a little too obnoxious but I don't want too quiet either...anybody...some advice please. Are the 40's similar to glasspacks or what's the issue with them...THX

kmcanally
05-14-2005, 02:52 AM
after searching there is at least a couple of older threads on this subject...

streetk14
05-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I think that there is some misunderstanding about 40 series flowmasters. The original 40 series flows had a LOT of interior resonance, and a very aggressive and "tinny" sound. The newer Delta Flow and Super 40's have a bit of a different sound. I have a set of delta flow 40's on my '68 and am quite happy with the sound (I also have an x-pipe). The newer designs are quieter, smoother, deeper, and have a lot less interior resonance but still have that "flowmaster" sound. They don't sound at all like glasspacks. A Magnaflow or dynomax will sound more like a glasspack than a Flowmaster will. It's all a matter of preference really. I've tried a lot of mufflers because I'm picky about how my car sounds.

Flynlo416
05-14-2005, 12:33 PM
I've got JBA shorty headers, Dr. Gas X-pipe, Flowmaster 40's, and Flowmaster mandrel bent tail pipes.

Since I have not seen any good comments about the 40 Flows on this site I am considering changing to the Magnaflows that seem to be more popular. Why is this?

Comments? Suggestions?

Buy a set of Borla's and be done with it. ( if budget allows) They are spendy but worth it and then some. Awesome sound (not tingy) like all flowmasters.

Todds69
05-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Which borlas are you running, the ProXS? I've been eyeing these any comments.

kmcanally
05-14-2005, 03:53 PM
the 40's I have are actually the Delta Flow models...

USAZR1
05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I'd like to try a pair of the Edelbrock mufflers. Has anyone tried or heard these on a hot rod?

streetk14
05-14-2005, 09:14 PM
the 40's I have are actually the Delta Flow models...

If you already have the mufflers, maybe you should give them a shot. I really like the sound of the 40 series delta flows combined with the x-pipe on my car. I used to have the original 40 series with an H-pipe and turn-downs, and it was LOUD. My new system is much quieter, and has an awesome tone. If you've never heard the mufflers, check out the sound samples on their site, www.flowmastermufflers.com or check out www.exhaustsoundclips.com. This might give you an idea of what you do or do not like.
-Andy

Flynlo416
05-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Which borlas are you running, the ProXS? I've been eyeing these any comments.

Yes I have the 2 1/2" ProXS's on my Challenger. I havent heard them with the new engine yet but with the 416 they sounded great. Another good thing is not everybody has them unlike Flowmasters. I always got asked what kind of mufflers I had because they have more of a deep sound and not "tingy" like others . They are more subtle at idle and really "growl" when you get in it :drive1: . I put a pair on my 2003 Ram and plan on a set for my Cuda which the 416 is going into. They have a sound bite on their web site to give you an idea.

USAZR1
05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
What does a pair of the Borla ProXS mufflers cost?

protour_chevelle
05-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Thrush Turbo's. Cheap muffler that sound wicked!

-Matt

PeteRR
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Go with Spintech's. I had Dronemasters on my Dodge truck when I bought it. The droning was so bad my ears would ring. I cut them off and gave them away the 1st chance I got.

JV69z/28
05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
I agree on the Borlas also - that is if the budget allows. They sound healthy - not tinny. They also won't drive you crazy on a long trip. Lots of choises - tough descision - Good Luck - Jack

gbeals
05-18-2005, 05:14 AM
I have just purchased some spintechs (sportsman) for my 68 coupe mustang. I will have them going straight back, untill I can get either an H or an X not decided on that though. From what I hear though, stay away from the spintech pro's without cats... Too loud... Good luck man.

kmcanally
05-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions....I am going to stick with the Delta 40's for now....I kind of like the "tingy" sound, especially with a solid roller...the Borlas are out because they are only available in stainless so I can not weld them to the mild steel tubing I already have...

4MuscleMachines
05-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Now that KmCanally chose his mufflers, I have been itching to try a set of the Hooker mufflers? They look killer, flow nicely, and have no packing yet are supposed to sound like a cross between FlowMasters and Magnaflow??

KacyZ28
05-22-2005, 12:25 PM
ive a had a couple of loud cars and im tired of loud cars after reading the exhaust article in last months of popular hot rodding i decided to build me a quiet exhaust system that doesnt restrict flow

kmcanally
05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
I went ahead with the Delta 40's like I said...now it is all tacked together and ready for final welding...

69-572
06-21-2005, 08:18 AM
A buddy of mine uses Hooker mufflers. They sound pretty good, and I have always had luck with their headers. I may try a set myself on the next car I do and let you guys know how they are...if you can wait a few years for an answer.

rocketman
06-21-2005, 09:11 PM
imo opinion magnaflows are way to quiet.the super 40 sounds real good,or the 50 if you want a little quieter.

sinned
06-21-2005, 09:32 PM
I love my old school 40's. No resonance at all with a little interior insulation.

kmcanally
06-24-2005, 03:47 PM
my exhaust system is out getting coated...when it gets back I will be firing the engine for the first time....I''lll roll some tape on the exhaust sound and post it later...

69lt4
06-28-2005, 02:39 AM
Let us know how it turns out. I'm approaching the exhaust system and have been starting to look at mufflers. Like some of the others, I would like a quiet system for little cruise (getting out of the neighborhood) and highway cruise. Anyone run the 50 series flowmaster? Curious to know the difference.
Kevin

MarkM66
06-28-2005, 06:12 AM
I just put some Hooker mufflers on my Nova. I'm very pleased with the sound.

I've used flows, but got tired of that rock in a tin can sound. Kinda outdated sound too, if that is such a thing.

I've used delta flows, and ultra flows, they're ok, sort of a glass pack sound though IMO.

I like the Hookers best so far.

CAMAROBOY69
06-28-2005, 06:18 AM

Comments? Suggestions?
I love my 40 series flowmasters and everyone that hears my car in person sais the same thing.
Some members dont like them but some do. Thats the same with anything though. You can hear my car in person in the Gingerman thread. 3 videos all with sound inside and outside of my car. Videos of my car (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7451)
Your delta flows will be a lot quieter though.

69lt4
06-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Anyone heard the Mule? In talking with Stainless Works they are suppose to have a muffler that is quiet at lower RPM and really comes alive at higher RPM (don't they all). The Mule is has this muffler. I have been thinking about taking my car to Stainless Works, but would hate to take the car there then not like the muffler.
Kevin

CAMAROBOY69
06-30-2005, 03:28 AM
The Mule is EXTREMELY quite. You cant hear it running if you are standing right next to it. Last time I heard it was last year on the 2004 Power tour. So unless Charley or Mark made exaust changes, it is still very quiet. Even on the Dyno that Charley posted for the 200mph run the exhaust seeemed extremely quiet.

novajess1972
07-25-2005, 04:41 AM
SO how do they sound? I haven't put exhaust on my Chevelle yest and would like an idea on how the Delta 40s sound. And what car do you have them on?

Travis B
07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
The Mule is EXTREMELY quite. You cant hear it running if you are standing right next to it. Last time I heard it was last year on the 2004 Power tour. So unless Charley or Mark made exaust changes, it is still very quiet. Even on the Dyno that Charley posted for the 200mph run the exhaust seeemed extremely quiet.

adam your link is expired....I can't believe I missed that post, would like to see the vids

CAMAROBOY69
07-26-2005, 03:45 AM
adam your link is expired....I can't believe I missed that post, would like to see the vids

SO how do they sound? I haven't put exhaust on my Chevelle yest and would like an idea on how the Delta 40s sound. And what car do you have them on?
I just re-hosted the videos again. They are all in the very first post. You can see and hear them here
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7451
Watch all 3 of them. Some are inside my car and some are outside. The video of my girlfriend kissing me good luck has the best sound clips of my car idling and getting on the gas. I dont have the DELTA 40s. I have the louder ones. Sound a lot better IMO.

kmcanally
07-26-2005, 03:58 AM

I have the Delta 40's on my 68 Mustang. I have not yet fired the engine but plan to do so soon. The exhaust system also has JBA shorties, Dr Gas X-over, and 2 1/2" over the axle pipes...all Jet Hot coated. It should sound real good. The engine is 289 with a solid roller 244 @.050 cam, Edelbrock RMP heads, Victor Jr. intake and 750 Demon.

andrewb70
07-26-2005, 03:58 AM

Gee...they only did a small change. They got two of them new fancy shmancy snail shaped mufflers. Of course its going to be quiet!

Andrew

CAMAROBOY69
07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Andrew,
Kevin (69lt4) asked in post #28 so I just told him how it sounded. Its quite.

Norwoodx55
07-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Gee...they only did a small change. They got two of them new fancy shmancy snail shaped mufflers. Of course its going to be quiet!

Andrew
Golly, I'd like sum of them snail turbo mufflers too if it made my car quieter! :naughty:

streetk14
07-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Let us know how it turns out. I'm approaching the exhaust system and have been starting to look at mufflers. Like some of the others, I would like a quiet system for little cruise (getting out of the neighborhood) and highway cruise. Anyone run the 50 series flowmaster? Curious to know the difference.
Kevin

I just put a set of the old-school 50 series flows on my '68. They don't sell them anymore, just the newer delta flow series. But man, I think this is the best my car has ever sounded. The 50's are a deeper, smoother, less "tinny" sound than the 40's, but still have that flowmaster "growl". They are also pretty quiet at cruise, with fairly little resonance. They are quieter and sound better than the 40 series delta flows I had a while back. They were a tight fit under the car, but they worked out. The newer 50's are supposed to be quieter with less resonance, but I'm not sure if they sound different. I wouldn't call my mufflers "quiet", but it is much quieter than my first system (2.5", H-pipe, original 40's & turn-downs). If you can find a set of the original 50's, give em' a shot.
-Andy

69lt4
07-28-2005, 02:40 AM
Andy,
Any chance of a sound clip?
Thanks for the update.
Kevin

engine
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I trashed my flowmasters and went with Dynomax Ultra Flo welded. These mufflers rock, they made my car less annoying an sounds so smooth. I only wish I had done it sooner.

hotrodgary
08-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I've always liked flowmaster, I had 50 series and 40 series. The 40's on my chevelle thru the full 3" exhaust sounded kinda "glass packy" I thought...everyone else tells me it sounds good?!

On my chevy II I went with dynatechs mufflers...THEY SOUND KICK ASS!!!! I'm also running a full 3" exhaust with x-pipe...I think that the x-pipe changes the tone of the exhaust majorly!

just my $.02

Later, Gary

protour_chevelle
08-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Dynomax bullets

-Matt

kmcanally
09-05-2005, 10:02 AM
started the engine yesterday...got a few leaks and bugs to sort out but everything is basically ok...my car is geeting ever so closer to retiring its garage pouser status!...heres a link to a short vid

http://videos.streetfire.net/player.aspx?fileid=C338881A-9C93-48F4-81C9-8E98EDA54D95

kmcanally
09-05-2005, 10:04 AM
well not that short! Let me try re uploading my vid to www.streetfire.net

kmcanally
09-05-2005, 01:08 PM
the link works now....

bdoobie69
09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
So KM, what is your overall opinion on the sound? It is hard to get the full sound through a video. I have 40 series delta flows that I am getting ready to put on my camaro. I want to get an x-pipe as well. Did you weld every thing up or did you put flanges on the rear by the mufflers so you can remove the x-pipe section to work on the transmission? -Brad

kmcanally
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
So far I like it...but I am not so sure about my wife and the neighbors!

The camera microphone drones out when I am goosing the throttle...it does not sound anything like the vid when I am revving it up. It sounds great idling from behind the car and revved up when I am standing at the motor but I have yet to here it revved up from behind the car...

I put ball and cone connector joints in front of the mufflers so that I can easily drop the x-pipe...everything else has been fully welded.