PDA

View Full Version : motors in

rsk68
05-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Man was this a pain in the ass, I put the motor in with the trans mounted and had to take of one of the frame mounts to clear the oilpan
otherwise it was not going in, joged it in place and remounted the frame mount, next problem was the trans mount Kiesler sold me needed to have the slots elongated a bit for the trans to line up with it, my next issue was then noticed that my tie rods are hitting the pan a bit, hopefully someone has a little input on this, I,m thinking my idler arm could be to short, a longer arm would move the tierods away from the pan and maybe a little shorter steering arm also, hoping David Pozzi has some input or ideas for me.

Thanks
RSK68
Rick KLein

One Bad 68
05-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I had a moroso pan on my BB. only thing that hit was the grease fittings. You should be fine.

yody
05-14-2005, 04:34 AM
I just installed my motor with a road race pan. What a pain in the ass!! I got away with scraping up the pan some but somehow got it in wihtout removing the frame mounts, would of been easier if i didn't have the huge T56 hanging off the back of the motor!

Kenova
05-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Man was this a pain in the ass, I put the motor in with the trans mounted and had to take of one of the frame mounts to clear the oilpan
otherwise it was not going in, joged it in place and remounted the frame mount, next problem was the trans mount Kiesler sold me needed to have the slots elongated a bit for the trans to line up with it, my next issue was then noticed that my tie rods are hitting the pan a bit, hopefully someone has a little input on this, I,m thinking my idler arm could be to short, a longer arm would move the tierods away from the pan and maybe a little shorter steering arm also, hoping David Pozzi has some input or ideas for me.

Thanks
RSK68
Rick KLein
I see your problem! Your motor's too big! :lmao:
Sorry. I just couldn't resist. Could you get away with dimpling the oil pan?
Ken

yody
05-14-2005, 10:19 PM
I had to take a hammer to my brand new milodon pan to clear the huge header that totally was in the way of one of the wings....(but don't tell anyone shhhhhh...)

Roger Poirier
05-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Yody,

Got you! I knew it was to good to be true. A flaw does exist on that Firebird. Now I know I have company with my GTO. LOL R.P.

yody
05-15-2005, 10:39 AM
trust me,,, there is more than meets the eye!

rsk68
05-16-2005, 07:18 AM
I fugured out a cure for the rubbing of the tie rods, I will run the 67
long idler and pitman, this will move it away from the pan around a 1/2 inch, should be fine, now all I have to do is buy a gas tank , radiator , vintage air , front runner system , wire harness , guages , damn I thought I was getting close.

RSK68
Rick Klein