PDA

View Full Version : huge idle/dying issue

69camarokid
08-10-2010, 10:38 AM
So the engine is a 95 trans am LT1 with T56 with some mild modifications in my 69 camaro. IT is still fuel injected.

WEll yesterday my gf and i decided to go to raging waters, a water park about 35 miles from my house. Gorgeous day so I decide to take the camaro. The car runs flawless on the freeway, but a few minutes after exiting the freeway the car starts to have issues. While sitting at a light the idle starts to get erratic. I tried to give it gas, but it had little to no effect on the engine.

When i tried to take off, no matter how much gas i gave her, she jumped all around like a kid learning to drive stick for the first time, then she died and refused to restart. I checked the temp and it was a solid 190, no issues there. After about 5 - 10 minutes she started up and gave me the same issue of jumping around through third gear, after third, as i got back on the freeway she ran fine again.

THis happened a few more times i would get off the freeway and have to come to a stop. Sometimes it would happen, other times not.

Im wondering if this could perhaps be a fuel flow issue, because when i drive the car around day to day on the street i never really have this issue, its only after hiogh speed freeway runs.

any ideas would be great, thanks

John Wright
08-10-2010, 10:43 AM
No codes? Sounds like it should have thrown the light and set a code for you.

JEFFTATE
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
LT1 engines are notorious for having problems with the OptiSpark distributor.

A dying / idling problem can usually be a vacuum leak also.

69camarokid
08-10-2010, 02:20 PM
No codes? Sounds like it should have thrown the light and set a code for you.

well no light because the engine is in a 69 so i dont have a light for when the engine codes are on. I would check it with a scanner, but for some reason the computer wont talk to any scanners anymore, ive tried 3 different ones. ugh. just another issue to look at.

69camarokid
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
LT1 engines are notorious for having problems with the OptiSpark distributor.

A dying / idling problem can usually be a vacuum leak also.

could be the opti, hope not.
Dont think its a vacuum leak. I tried a smoke test and had nothing leaking.

Gitter Dun
08-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Bad fuel pump? Fuel filter?

EFI69Cam
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
heat soaked fuel tank?

My BBC with return fuel setup would heat the fuel to the point that it would boil when I opened the tank. Shoot the tank with an IR gun and see how hot it is.

John Wright
08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
well no light because the engine is in a 69 so i dont have a light for when the engine codes are on. I would check it with a scanner, but for some reason the computer wont talk to any scanners anymore, ive tried 3 different ones. ugh. just another issue to look at.My 89 TPI harness in my 70 camaro has a light, have to count the blinks to read the codes.

prostreet69camaro
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I don't know your setup but on the original car the scanner is powered from the cigarette lighter circuit,, make sure the socket has 12volts so the scanner will read it

taz
08-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I am a gm tech without data first i would hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor it at idle then while driving not just pressure but volume . If pressure and volume to specs . I have seen instances where the coil overheats and does similar things . Also is your optspark cap vented .I have also seen vent tube plugged creating a vacume in the cap causing spark scatter . Next step is it running a speed density or maf . If all else checks ok and you are running maf unplug it when it acts up again and note difference in running . I have acsess to shopkey from home if you need specs or diag flow chart let me know .

JEFFTATE
08-16-2010, 08:10 AM
So , 69camarokid , what ever happened to this ???
Did you get it fixed ?

69camarokid
08-16-2010, 11:02 PM
no, i still dont know what it is.
I drove it maybe 20 miles the other day with freeway driving and had no issue. I just dont have the money to throw parts at it til its fixed. and as long as the computer ios refusing to communicate i cant read any codes its throwing.

itll probably be a few weeks til i have the time adn money to dive right in. I was hoping i might get lucky and someone had had a similar problem in the past and knew the reason.

novaderrik
08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

CarlC
08-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Moving to EFI. BTW, the same condition happend with mine. The fuel pump was dying. Changed them pump and all was well.

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
check fuel pressure like that guy said but yep when those optisparks get moisture its all bad hehe youll get intermitent spark or no spark at all i would first blow air into one of the vent holes on the opti spark to try dry it and then they would fire up most times..if not then you have to open it and air dry it .