PDA

View Full Version : Air-Ride Tech (level 2) v.s. Speed Tech Track Time Suspension Package

cris67chevelle
08-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey was up everyone I am not sure that these 2 suspension packages have ever been up against eachother. I just wanted everyones feed back on what they think is a better choice. The air-ride tech level 2 is a little more expensive than the speed tech so money is not the issue here. I am hoping to hear from customers using these products or know of someone that is using these products. I will have the link below to both products that I am interested in. I pretty much want to know what suspenion kit gets you more bang for you bucks. Yes I am doing a pro touring type of deal. I have a 1967 Chevelle and I plan on running 18x8's in the front and 20x10's in the rear. My car is not mini tub. Here are the links below.
Cheerssssssshttps://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/04/beers-1.gif
http://www.ridetech.com/shop/suspens...y-level-2.html (http://www.ridetech.com/shop/suspension-systems/vehicle-packages/1964-1967-gm-a-body-level-2.html)

http://www.speedtechperformance.com/...rod/prd186.htm (http://www.speedtechperformance.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=186/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd186.htm)

cris67chevelle
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
no opinion or advice on this matter

formula
08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Question number one: do you want air bags?

Question b: what are you going to do with the car?

Question III: do you have any experience with a highly adjustable suspension like either of these?

cris67chevelle
08-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Question number one: do you want air bags?

Question b: what are you going to do with the car?

Question III: do you have any experience with a highly adjustable suspension like either of these?

my car is going to be pretty much a weekend warrior type of deal. For example if it is a beautiful day nice and sunny I plan on taking her out for a nice drive my car is not going to be at the race strip at all but I do plan on doing some street light action. This is my first restoration and what started off as what I thought would be a simple restoration I see tumbling into a frame off resto lol. I don't have any expirence with adjustable coil overs or suspension for that matter. What I like about air bags is how you can have pretty much any stance you want with the touch of a button. I have a seperate frame for my car so I have the luxury of be able to build my chassis at the moment while my car is having the metal work done. So I was doing some research and I was set on buying the Speed Tech stuff but I see for a little more money I can get air bags and I have heard and read really good things about Ride Tech stuff. I hope that anwsered your question.

JRouche
08-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Kinda again and again I say, air ride systems are NOT adjustable. They have one setting if the car is moving. Plain and simple, just like any other car with coil or coilover springs. They have a parked ride height that is nice for show cars, or even street cars that like to drop at a car spot or burger joint.

But tooling down the road, even at slow speeds, they should be kept within the parameters of the shock and spring. If you adjust the springs down low for a cruise night you may end up hashing the internal shocks and any other parts of the car that dont like a hard hit. It doesnt take much.

Think about air springs as just another spring. Look for the performance of the spring during driving, dont think about the ability to reduce the spring pressure to lower the car. Unless you show the car and want to drop it in the weeds for a better look.

Air springs are just that, springs. Just another sort of spring. They are not a variable ride height suspension. JR

cris67chevelle
08-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Kinda again and again I say, air ride systems are NOT adjustable. They have one setting if the car is moving. Plain and simple, just like any other car with coil or coilover springs. They have a parked ride height that is nice for show cars, or even street cars that like to drop at a car spot or burger joint.

But tooling down the road, even at slow speeds, they should be kept within the parameters of the shock and spring. If you adjust the springs down low for a cruise night you may end up hashing the internal shocks and any other parts of the car that dont like a hard hit. It doesnt take much.

Think about air springs as just another spring. Look for the performance of the spring during driving, dont think about the ability to reduce the spring pressure to lower the car. Unless you show the car and want to drop it in the weeds for a better look.

Air springs are just that, springs. Just another sort of spring. They are not a variable ride height suspension. JR

Thank you for your response that is why I started this thread to find out more about the air ride tech stuff. But let me ask you something, Your saying that there is only one ride height while driving, and your saying not to drop it so low because the car might not take it to well but what if you have coil overs installed and you have the adjustment set low so your car will look low while driving, does that affect the way you car will take a bump also, are you risking the same damage that you would if you have the same height set on the air ride stuff? I hope you understand my question.

Bryce
08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
There is a sweet spot on the shock, the height or length the shock was designed to be at, during ride height. So you may have an 1" or so adjustment, so that you are not outside the parameters of the shock.

cris67chevelle
08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
There is a sweet spot on the shock, the height or length the shock was designed to be at, during ride height. So you may have an 1" or so adjustment, so that you are not outside the parameters of the shock.

If I get the level 2 ride tech system, do you know if it comes preset with the correct ride height or do I need to figure it out on my own?

killer69
08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
you need to figure it out,

The biggest question you need to answer is "do you want air ride" and NO offence to Air Ride. some of the issues that can come with it. mostly due to the quality of the install.

we are a dealer and have done a bunch of installs and the parts are good quality so don't read anything into the response.

just 2 totally different systems

cris67chevelle
08-11-2010, 01:46 PM
you need to figure it out,

The biggest question you need to answer is "do you want air ride" and NO offence to Air Ride. some of the issues that can come with it. mostly due to the quality of the install.

we are a dealer and have done a bunch of installs and the parts are good quality so don't read anything into the response.

just 2 totally different systems

Thanks for your help. Honestly all I want is a good looking stance. I have a 1967 chevelle and I plan on running 20x10's in the rear and 18x8's in the front, I just want my car to have a nice low stance. I am not going to be doing autocross or any thing in that matter. I just want to have a nice low stance. I heard QA1's are relatively easy to adjust. But once again I no expierence with this. What I truly like about the air bag is being able to drop the car to the floor when its just parked. I am not sure if that is a good enough reason to want an air ride suspension or even consider there stuff. What called my attention is the fact that I want to install a complete after market suspension with upper and lower tubular a arms and upper and lower rear arms, shocks and springs. Both of those kits offer all of those things and I know a lot of people are running air ride tech stuff and I like that really low look when its parked. But once again when it comes to electronic stuff like the air ride tech system I get nervous for the reason being if something fails or doesnt work properly then what do I do you get me. What I like manual equipment is that you control everything. As far as handling as long as the car handles ok and feels safe driving the down the road that is all I care about. So I do appreciate everyones help I am still not sure what to do.

ProdigyCustoms
08-11-2010, 08:10 PM
We install and sell them both. If the ability to change ride heights and effective spring rates at the touch of a buttom are important to you, then step up to the Air Ride. You WILL NOT be disapponted

If ride height adjust ability (in your garage) is important to you, the Track Time kit is hard to beat for the price. Add a set of their ATS spindles and you have a awesome set up.

JRouche
08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
What I truly like about the air bag is being able to drop the car to the floor when its just parked. I am not sure if that is a good enough reason to want an air ride suspension or even consider there stuff.

EXACTLY!! You are on the right path, your thinking is correct.

And what others have said you will have a sweet spot for the shockwaves, its within about an inch of travel. But really, its not an adjustable suspension, I honestly dont know of any that are adjustable.

And thats speaking from a pro-touring stand point. Meaning you want the best handling.

Ride height isnt determined from the springs, or shouldn't be, although some folks do set ride height according to where the springs put the body.

Suspension links and pivot points, like control arms, strut arms, trailing arms is really what you should set your ride height from. The geometry of the suspension should be number one. Get that worked out for a certain ride height then work the proper spring in there. Whether its an air, coil, leaf, or torsion spring. The spring comes after you get the "hard" parts in place.

And Im not saying its wrong to move the body up and down, adjusting ride heights with the springs. Its just not correct IMO. Geometry of the hard parts (fixed suspension pivot points) comes first in determining the ride height. JR

67bird
08-12-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't really have a dog in this hunt as I don't own an A-body, but for what you wanting to do with the car, I would go with the Speedtech kit. Just looking at what you get in the kit would be why. The money saved over the air-ride would allow you to buy a fast ratio steering box, pitman arm, idler arm, and tie rod ends. So now you front end would effectively be new. Also, I can tell you from experience that this hobby is compulsive. The Speedtech stuff is the most easily upgradable. Realistically you can change spring rates, also shocks (if you purchase double adjustable), or spindles (Speedtech AFX with arms). From there you basically have everything you can buy for an A-body, with exception to splined sway bars.

ProdigyCustoms
08-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Something Jrouche said triggered me. One thing to mention about the Speedtech kit is they use a drop pocket control arm so you lower the car and still maintain shock travel which is a nice feature.

I would say on the Air Ride there is more then a 1/2" sweet spot.

Mingus
08-12-2010, 04:50 AM
PhillipM has a good thread about his F85 Oldsmobile with air ride. They talk about how you can't drive with it low because there isn't enough air in them (be like having a really soft spring rate). They actually altered all of their mounting points so they could run it low and have enough pressure for it to ride right.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42548

ProdigyCustoms
08-12-2010, 04:58 AM
We can drive the Bull Run Racer in ride height changes of a couple inches. BUT it is set up with their Street Car Challenge suspension with the shocks mounted low so that it is at the proper pressure (spring rate) at a low ride height. It only take a few LBS of air to change ride height quite a bit.

And let me add something. I do not think, in fact I know, that the Bull Run Racer could not do bulll Run with a low aggressive stance without ride height adjust ability. Some of the **** they drive through, they REALLY need the ability to raise the car for adverse conditions like downtown New Orleans.

So again, if ride height adjust ability on the fly is important, or being able to bag it out and have that super low look at the show field is important, the choice is easy.

If you are a set it and forget it guy, the choice is easy.

killer69
08-12-2010, 07:06 AM
like this?
full track time package 20x10 19x8.8

cris67chevelle
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I actually think I am going to end up going with the Speed Tech I am sure I can learn how to set my ride where I want it. As long as I have the mean looking stance I will be happy I dont need it that low to the ground. I love the way that grey chevelle looks on there website that is what I am going for. I rather set it and forget it. One more question but is this kit completely bolt on with no need of customizing any thing?

killer69
08-13-2010, 07:00 AM
yes

cris67chevelle
08-13-2010, 08:50 AM
yes

Thanks Killer by any chance are you running Speed Tech stuff?

dhutton
08-13-2010, 09:20 AM

LOL, Killer69 IS Speed Tech....

cris67chevelle
08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
LOL, Killer69 IS Speed Tech....

OHHHH you see you do learn something new everyday lol

PhillipM
08-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks for everyones help. I actually think I am going to end up going with the Speed Tech I am sure I can learn how to set my ride where I want it. As long as I have the mean looking stance I will be happy I dont need it that low to the ground. I love the way that grey chevelle looks on there website that is what I am going for. I rather set it and forget it. One more question but is this kit completely bolt on with no need of customizing any thing?

I just saw this thread. While there is something to be said for being able to set it and forget it. I have not been disapointed with our system. Even though I did redesign the rear of the kit to lower our ride height by about 4". The car is still able to be thrown around in the autocross but i'm sure the rear geometry isn't "ideal". Good luck with your project!

strtlegal
08-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Lol..Yeah Blake are you running that Speedtech stuff..

lilbuzzy
08-20-2010, 05:39 PM

yes blake runs speedtech........literally

IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING THE STOCK 12 BOLT REAR CONTACT BLAKE AND HE WILL HELP YOU THROUGH IT. SUPER GUY! Frank at Prodigy is awsome as well. here is our speedtech a body track time installed.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70946

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27657

cris67chevelle
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
yes blake runs speedtech........literally

IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING THE STOCK 12 BOLT REAR CONTACT BLAKE AND HE WILL HELP YOU THROUGH IT. SUPER GUY! Frank at Prodigy is awsome as well. here is our speedtech a body track time installed.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70946

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27657

Thanks for that thread your car is looking good. Let me ask you do you think I will have the same issue in the rear if I use a Moser 12 bolt?

lilbuzzy
08-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks for that thread your car is looking good. Let me ask you do you think I will have the same issue in the rear if I use a Moser 12 bolt?

You will have to call Blake at Speedtech. The Currie setup has brackets that for some reason did not work without modification. It was purchased as a direct bolt in, so one would think the bolt on suspension would fit right up. No worries. They were simple mods. The front went on like butter. It really is a quality suspension package. We cannot wait to finish it up.

Richie

Marcus SC&C
08-23-2010, 08:01 AM
I know both companys, you won`t find a better bunch of guys either way. That said, since I`m a pragmatist, the Speedtech system WITH AFX spindles is the clear winner from both overall geometry and kinematic binding perspectives. It also has a much superior adj. link mounted rear sway bar. All else equal it will yield a better performing and better driving car. I may be a little biased (actually I`m not) since I developed the A body adaption of the AFX spindles for ATS. We`ve sold more AFX tall spindles for the A body than anyone so I`m really thrilled that Speedtech has taken up the torch and has them back in production again. :) Mark SC&C