PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate A body suspension

raustinss
08-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Help I need some advice with the ultimate chevelle suspension . While still using the stock frame . I was thinking about ats spindles and global west for a arms . Now only to find out they don't necessarily get along . So now I was thinking about spc a arms and ats spindles.
Out the back the plan was to use one of the many aftermarket companies control arms.
Preferring one with rod ends . The brakes will be Kore 3 zo6 brakes. any opinions on the possibility of pulling close to 1g with 275/40/18 fronts and 315/40/18 rears ? Thanks Ryan

1badchevelle
08-08-2010, 06:11 PM
sounds good. ats/spc upfront and rear currie will do.

raustinss
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks Fabian
I guess I want something like bad penny only a chevelle and here in Canada. I'm a fabricator by trade so something more then bolt on is cool with me

jilge71
08-08-2010, 08:47 PM
call marcus at sc&c...i got everything from him and he will tell you what you need to be able to handle what you want to do. great guy and service

1badchevelle
08-08-2010, 10:09 PM
is this what you were looking for

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62410

T-CHRGD
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
call marcus at sc&c...i got everything from him and he will tell you what you need to be able to handle what you want to do. great guy and service

Mark will be more than happy to help.
610-346-8154

silver69camaro
08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
any opinions on the possibility of pulling close to 1g with 275/40/18 fronts and 315/40/18 rears ?

I've done it with smaller street compound tires. If that's your goal, it's not easy. Should be a cinch with stickies.

The WidowMaker
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
im running (well not yet) the spc uppers, global west lowers and ats tall spindles up front. im not sure why you found that the combo wouldnt work, unless you were refering to the upper control arm from global west???? the spc/sc&c upper piece is far superior in adjustments. the lower control arms are all pretty much the same. i only went global west because of a deal i got on them.

i would also run a currie trac setup in the rear and call jim fay for the chevelle watts setup. it will require a custom tank from ricks, but i worked with him on getting the dimensions perfect. it ended up being about the same size as the nova tank, but has a different filler neck to work with the chevelle. in addition it has an internal sump with checkballs for all the cornering you will be doing.

if you want to get started and have some time, give mark a call. he is a vendor for everything above.

bret
08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Help I need some advice with the ultimate chevelle suspension . While still using the stock frame . I was thinking about ats spindles and global west for a arms . Now only to find out they don't necessarily get along . So now I was thinking about spc a arms and ats spindles.
Out the back the plan was to use one of the many aftermarket companies control arms.
Preferring one with rod ends . The brakes will be Kore 3 zo6 brakes. any opinions on the possibility of pulling close to 1g with 275/40/18 fronts and 315/40/18 rears ? Thanks Ryan

1.2G sustained with BFG KDW street tires at Putnam Park in 2006. http://ridetechgarage.com/1966-chevelle/

raustinss
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Shhhh Fabian don't tell Tim that I read and loved what he's doing to the widow maker...but yes that's some of the idea....just not sold on the frame reinforcement . I would rather have a insanely tight cage like what mark steilow had done in "malitude".

Brett can't open the link...computer is down and I'm using my blackberry ...I'm sure this will kill my data ...if that's the run with the one and only Boris said at the wheel that has been in your add and cover of your catalog. Then I gotta tell you its a suspension system that I've dreamed of for years. If it was or is possible to give,donate, severely discount or , steal me a kit I'd love you and air ride forever ...lol . Once I saw and read about that run I decided that I wanted my fat ass car to do something similar....only I'm not quite done trade school and broke . Thanks for the advice. Ryan

bullitt4110
08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
the lower control arms are all pretty much the same. i only went global west because of a deal i got on them.

I was talking with Mark @ SC&C on the phone last week and he said the purpuse (not only purpuse) of the SPC lower arms is the move the wheel back to the center of the wheel opening when using the SPC uppers, he said the uppers will shift the wheel back in the wheel opening. When funds permit I plan to go with the SC&C stage 2 plus package and the SPC lowers, and have not decided on the rear or springs yet.

jilge71
08-10-2010, 03:16 AM
thats what i went with and went chris alston coilover setup in the rear with the pt adjustable rear swaybar all from sc&c

BMR Tech
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Check out this LINK (http://www.superchevy.com/features/chevellemontecarlo/sucp_0902_bmr_1971_chevy_chevelle/index.html).
Not quite 1G but close - .93G. This was a very streetable combination that Super Chevy used for an article a while ago. The kit installed was our Level 2 Handling Package plus a set of ATS spindles. The customer also substituted AFCO adjustable shocks for the Bilsteins.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

sPgiCjjcXwk

0lx4rBX2UIA&NR=1

Bryce
08-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I like speedtech rear control arms. I saw those at SEMA last year, the ability to rotate and reduce bind is nice. however if you have that much body roll where bind is an issue then there are other problems you will need to address.

When it comes to front suspension, it would be nice if manufactures showed some of the geometry corrections that have been done. Or atleast some suspension specs; for example, camber gain, RC, RC migration. I guess with the correct software someone could do this after they bought the suspension.

Do they all allow the same size tires?

bret
08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Shhhh Fabian don't tell Tim that I read and loved what he's doing to the widow maker...but yes that's some of the idea....just not sold on the frame reinforcement . I would rather have a insanely tight cage like what mark steilow had done in "malitude".

Brett can't open the link...computer is down and I'm using my blackberry ...I'm sure this will kill my data ...if that's the run with the one and only Boris said at the wheel that has been in your add and cover of your catalog. Then I gotta tell you its a suspension system that I've dreamed of for years. If it was or is possible to give,donate, severely discount or , steal me a kit I'd love you and air ride forever ...lol . Once I saw and read about that run I decided that I wanted my fat ass car to do something similar....only I'm not quite done trade school and broke . Thanks for the advice. Ryan

Well...yeah...Boris Said was driving...forgot to include that:). He is kind of a big deal. I think my best run was somewhere around 1g. My stones are proportionally smaller! Boris's run was also a high speed deal, not the skidpad. The skidpad seems to generate lower numbers.

killer69
08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I like speedtech rear control arms. I saw those at SEMA last year, the ability to rotate and reduce bind is nice. however if you have that much body roll where bind is an issue then there are other problems you will need to address.

When it comes to front suspension, it would be nice if manufactures showed some of the geometry corrections that have been done. Or atleast some suspension specs; for example, camber gain, RC, RC migration. I guess with the correct software someone could do this after they bought the suspension.

Do they all allow the same size tires?

The rotation is built in so the shocks, springs and sway bars can do their intended job instead of the upper and lower trailing arms becoming torsion bars.
if you want the RC RC migration with the ATS spindles i know Mark At SC&C has done all the testing and knows the A body better than most

The WidowMaker
08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
just not sold on the frame reinforcement . I would rather have a insanely tight cage like what mark steilow had done in "malitude".

if youre willing to do a cage, then dont sweat the frame stuff and never look back. its been a pain in the ass to route stuff around it, but my kids changed my plans since i wont put them in the backseat or let them ride in a car with a cage without a helmet. i like melons, uncracked melons....

The WidowMaker
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I was talking with Mark @ SC&C on the phone last week and he said the purpuse (not only purpuse) of the SPC lower arms is the move the wheel back to the center of the wheel opening when using the SPC uppers, he said the uppers will shift the wheel back in the wheel opening.

maybe blake can answer this. im pretty sure all aftermarket lca's do this to allow for more caster?????

bullitt4110
08-10-2010, 09:14 PM
maybe blake can answer this. im pretty sure all aftermarket lca's do this to allow for more caster?????
that could be...

killer69
08-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Correct as you increase the caster the wheel tilts back, the upper arms have caster built in so you require less shim stack to get the desired # you are looking for.
Our lower arms put the ball joint ever so slightly forward, 1/8 is the actual measurement.i know some of the others may have more.
90% of the adjustment is in the upper arm.

The biggest improvement a guy can make is the ATS Spindle.

The WidowMaker
08-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Our lower arms put the ball joint ever so slightly forward, 1/8 is the actual measurement.i know some of the others may have more.
90% of the adjustment is in the upper arm.

and if the hub is in the center of the spindle, the actual measurement is cut in half. id like to know what the specs are for the global west and spc lca's.

Nick.V70
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I am also finalizing what I want on my 70' Chevelles front end. I am sold on the SPC UCA's and the ATS spindle but the lowers I am still doing homework on. Some great options out there and I am not finding much true stated difference unless anyone can tell me other wise. I really feel (not first hand yet) that Tim/ Widowmaker has a great front end. From what I have found these Abodys are not getting much from a full coil over in the front so it's not needed. I am going to install a standard coil spring/ aftermarket and adjustable Vari shock.

This is what I did out back, Chassis Works new g-link system and a Fab9 rear axle:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92001JPG-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92002JPG-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92003JPG-1.jpg

jilge71
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
oh thats nice!!!:1st:

Blitz
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Another vote for talking with Mark @ SC&C!!

rrelco
09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
All coil overs conversion, ATS spindles, Kore 3 C6 front stoppers, Hochkis front sway bar.
I have not installed it but cant wait I am going to Autox it to see before and after progress

Thumpin'66
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I have been researching combos for my front suspension too and have come to a final decision. I am going with the DSE a-arm and spindle kit and splined sway bar, strange dual adjust shocks and Kore3 hubs and brake brackets. I like a lot of features on the SC&C/SPC set up and Marcus is great but I want to drag race and a bump stop on the upper arms is important to me (I don't like the limiter strap idea). I also really wanted to try L&H spindles and have discussed them in depth with Luke but I fear my custom offset brake brackets may interfere with them so they are a no go. I know DSE is priced high but it seems like they have a quality product that should work well for my needs. My last piece of the puzzle is trying to figure out a spring rate for the front that will give me decent handling ability but still help me get the front end up at the drag strip. If there is any reason not to go DSE let me know, otherwise I am buying the stuff this coming week and can't afford to do this twice.

Nick.V70
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I have talked to Marc @ SC&C 2 time now and I am liking everything of what he has put together for a package on what I want to see out of my car, just waiting for the call back on the prices with shipping and we are ordering up to front end packages from him....1 for me and 1 for the 67' my buddy is building.

Nick.V70
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
So any more options or opinions? Just curios..

Roadbuster
09-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I am also finalizing what I want on my 70' Chevelles front end. I am sold on the SPC UCA's and the ATS spindle but the lowers I am still doing homework on. Some great options out there and I am not finding much true stated difference unless anyone can tell me other wise. I really feel (not first hand yet) that Tim/ Widowmaker has a great front end. From what I have found these Abodys are not getting much from a full coil over in the front so it's not needed. I am going to install a standard coil spring/ aftermarket and adjustable Vari shock.

This is what I did out back, Chassis Works new g-link system and a Fab9 rear axle:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92001JPG-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92002JPG-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/Fab92003JPG-1.jpg

Nice looking rear suspension! The rear coil overs are nice! I like Mark's stuff and have it on my 68 GTO.

The SPC lower front control arms move the lower ball joint forward which gives more clearance when you run more caster. The inserts allow you to fine tune your ride height.

Nick.V70
09-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Nice looking rear suspension! The rear coil overs are nice! I like Mark's stuff and have it on my 68 GTO.

The SPC lower front control arms move the lower ball joint forward which gives more clearance when you run more caster. The inserts allow you to fine tune your ride height.

Thanks, I ended up getting Marc one more time and placed the order for the full front end, ATS spindles and UCA/LCA, all the goodies for my 70' and another for my buddy's 67'. Hope to have the car back on the road next month some time:fingersx:

I just need to figure out a front sway bar, thats all I am missing other than new steering box.

a73formula
09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I gotta say mark is the best to talk to, I'm running the spc/sc&c uca's and lca's with the varishocks and without having the swaybars yet is night and day difference. He's helping me set my car up for autox and drag bu using the adjustable shocks and an adjustable rear swaybar. Should be a very low 10 sec car when done and great on the road courses.

Marcus SC&C
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys! We`ve been working on evolving these cars` suspensions since the 1980s so it`s been a loooong road to get where we are now! It`s absolutely amazing how much the industry has advanced in the last 5 years or so! We`re not just putting lipstick on pigs anymore (just UCAs for better alignment,spring,shocks and bars but leaving the deeply flawed geometry alone), the better companies are actually re engineering the whole suspension geometry from the ground up to be like that of a modern performance car.
That`s the behind the ATS tall spindles and the AFX/SPC arm combo we developed. It`s all clean sheet design. The spindles aren`t adapted from some junkyard part, they were designed from the outset to bring old muscle car suspension geometry/brakes up to date. The adj. tubular UCAs are modular and turnbuckle adjustable because cramming little slivers of sheetmetal between parts to set their alignment is so 1955. ;) The SPC lower A arms weren`t derived from stock lower A arms at all. We started with corrected suspension geometry, lowered ride height, and a modern alignment then built lower A arms that perfectly fit the empty space. Sure you can put them on an otherwise bone stock car and still gain some advantages but they`re optimized for re engineered muscle cars. Adding features like 2 1/2" of adjustable ride height (up to 3 3/4" with optional parts), progressive rate jounce bumpers, greasable delrin bushings etc. are value added. Overall with AFX tall spindles and SPC upper and lower A arms we`re getting better geometry out of these cars than an `02 TransAm. Not bad at all for simple bolt ons,especially considering that in stock form their geometry is worse than a horse drawn wagon (no I`m not kidding). This package also yields outstanding wheel/tire clearance, unlike systems with 2" drop spindles.
Russ, don`t let travel limiting straps scare you off. English sports cars and off road vehicles have used them for the last 80 years or so with great success. They`re dirt simple to install and bullet proof. they can even be used as a tuning aid. We have several drag race clients running deep in the 8`s with SPC A arms. I dare say between circle track, road race and drag racing no other tubular A arms available for these cars have anywhere near the race pedigree of SPC UCAs. For light weight, adjustability,and even header clearance nothing else comes close at any price. That`s why we use them. I`m just sayin'... :) Mark SC&C

Nothingface5384
09-28-2010, 03:21 PM
My setup/setup to be is as follows

Rear Suspension:
TA performance no-hop bars

edelbrock adjustable tubular AL UPPER trailing arms(same has the curries but cheaper) got due to spearical ends aka "Johnny-joints"

currie billet al currectrac Lower trailing arms from scandc got due to spearical ends aka "johnny-joints"

HR Parts N stuff 1.25 hollow anti-roll bar...pricey but worth it(mainly got it for launching strait but works awsoem on the street!)

Edelbrock classic IAS monotube gas shocks

Moog 5399 springs(same spring rate as stock 70-72 skylark..but like an 1in taller in free height? i think it was) need room for 325-50's!

HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING on which style trailing arm brace I should get...slotted tab like edelbrocks or bolt/tube deal like hotchkis/ UMI?

Also would a fays 2 Watts work in conjunction with the hr parts rear bar(mounts to frame like spohn)...or will the mounting clamps interfere with each other???????

FRONT Suspension:

edelbrock classic IAS monotube gas shocks

Moog 5536 front springs

hotchkis 1 3/8 hollow front swaybar

Sc&C Street-comp Stage-2 Plus ( should I get pro-lites or substitue for spohn uppers??????)

SPC lower Control arms

PS. Dont like the look af 17+ rims/tires on a skylark for some reason compared to other 68-72 a-bodies so thats why I didnt opt for lowering springs nor afx spindle...i'll be at the drag more then the auto-x but will have plenty of fun on the streets
AFX and fay watts treatment will go to a 67 buick special (3200lbs curb weight vs 3500) when i do find one..buick 300 with TA performance AL rover heads and a lexus aa80e 8-spd auto from an IS-F

15x10 w/ 325-50s and 15x7 w/ 235-60-15s...disc/disc combo