PDA

View Full Version : straight cut, dog engagement?

boodlefoof
05-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Hey guys,

I've started a new project which I hope to do some open road racing with. It is a '73 Datsun 240Z. I also still want to be able to drive it on the street to local cruise-ins and such.

I like to plan things well ahead of time, and I've been contemplating my transmission options. I want a manual trans, which can take a lot of abuse (planning a high-powered, forced induction small block) and which is reliable (won't have to be rebuilt every year).

My question... does anybody have any experience driving a dog engagement trans with straight cut gears?

The particular transmission I have in mind is the Quaife 15G (see http://www.quaifeamerica.com/ and click "transmissions").

I love the sound of the straight cut gears screaming and will wear ear protection if I have to! But I'm not so sure about how driving one of these transmissions differs from a typical tranny.

I searched this forum and found a few mentions of these types of trannys, and I went over to openroadracing.com but couldn't find anything there.

The other option is probably going with a G-force transmission (certainly costs less...).

Thanks for any comments.

protour_chevelle
05-13-2005, 05:51 AM
You def. have to get used to the tranny from what I hear. Guy I know on another board just installed one into a RX7 with a boosted rotary engine. He says that its rougher, don't use the clutch at high RPM's( If you shift quick enough its just rev matching) but low speed you will need to use the clutch.

Takes some time to get used to is about all I gather from reading very few responses.

-Matt

homerneedspeed
05-13-2005, 09:04 PM
you will have to rev match downshift and have to rebuild it very often. Alot of rally cars use them and rebuild them after every rally, the dog rings tend to break very often and are expensive to replace. if it is not a case designed to be a dog box it will wear out the bearings and start to wine in a bad way, also it will f- up your rear gears in time.

boodlefoof
05-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Hmmmm....

Well, thanks for the info guys. They already cost a boatload... don't know if I want to have to throw money at the thing every year.

yamadog
05-14-2005, 10:39 PM
I used to have a doug nash 5-speed in my camaro. The one with straight cut gears... Lasted about a month before I could not stand it any more. Full throtle up shifts w/ no clutch was great, but downshifting was nearly imposible without grinding. Not a whole lotta fun in traffic. I'd really advise against it. Jason

Kenova
05-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I haven't had any experience with them, but I think the G-force GF-5R might be your best bet. They have a clutchless drag race version and a road race version. You would probably have less trouble driving the road race version on the street. They also have enough ratio options to make your head spin.
I've looked long and hard at them for my own use. The abillity to pick and choose your own ratios would be nice, but when the time comes to buy a new tranny, I'll probably go with a TKO600R. It will cost half as much.
Ken