PDA

View Full Version : Support turbos or not? Pic's Opinions,,,

mnm99
08-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Just getting an idea on if I should support or will be fie. To be honest I can't find a way to support them. They are small T3/4 60-1's. The headers are made out of 304 Stainless tigged and purged. Give me your opinion...

Thanks.

XLexusTech
08-04-2010, 10:44 AM
The look pretty solid to me..... Nice work BTW!

parsonsj
08-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Agreed: nice work!

Your routing design looks very similar to what Mike Norris and I did on MotiV8r. I put a brace from the collector to the #1 and #2 tubes close to the collector flange.

The idea was put as much of the weight on the shortest part of the tube. 2 years later, and Larry says its all still working fine.

jp

mnm99
08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Agreed: nice work!

Your routing design looks very similar to what Mike Norris and I did on MotiV8r. I put a brace from the collector to the #1 and #2 tubes close to the collector flange.

The idea was put as much of the weight on the shortest part of the tube. 2 years later, and Larry says its all still working fine.

jp

Yes it is...You guys inspired me. I went off his header design. Hope you don't mind. As for the brace..I see what your saying, but my setup may be a little different. I can get a brace on the drivers side if I needed to , but not on the pass. I'm hopeing I'm ok the way it is. I believe your headers were made out of 321SS. I made these out of 304. Once again I hope I'm ok. This is my first turbo build and wanted to do things right. I kinda wish I didn't do it in 304. Many say I'll be fine, we'll see I guess. Here are some pics of the cold side.

CarlC
08-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Your inlet tube is awesome! Very nice work.

Could you please add your name to your signature? It makes conversing a lot easier.

mnm99
08-05-2010, 02:58 AM
Your inlet tube is awesome! Very nice work.

Could you please add your name to your signature? It makes conversing a lot easier.

Thanks. I added my name to my sig.

shmoov69
08-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Nice work! Should be fine, as stated above, just support the exhaust pretty good.

Mike Norris
08-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Definitely a nice setup. If there is any way to get some support on there, I would do it for sure. There can never be too much support.

If you do not support it and for some reason there is a failure down the road, then the time to redo things will outweigh doing it the first time.

Mike Norris

mnm99
08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Definitely a nice setup. If there is any way to get some support on there, I would do it for sure. There can never be too much support.

If you do not support it and for some reason there is a failure down the road, then the time to redo things will outweigh doing it the first time.

Mike Norris

Mike , How were the turbos supported on the MotiV8r? I can't really see in any of the pictures? Do you have any?

Marc

Mike Norris
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Good talking to you mtoday Marc. Like John mentioned, we welded in a short brace between the front primary tube on each side about straight up to the collector. Since our turbos stand about straight up it works fine.

This would also help yours but I would think there may be one needed to the turbine flange if there is a way, since yours hang out to the side and put quite a load out there.

Good Luck!!

Mike Norris

mnm99
08-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Mike it was nice talking to you too. Thanks for your time. Here's what I came up with so far. I can't put a brace under the turbo due to upper arm clearance. Now picture the pass side bracket bolted flat to the head and the first header bolt, cut around the primary tube and bolted on the top side of the 2 turbo bolts. There would be a 90* bracket welded on to turn into the bolts if you can picture that. The drivers side would just go to the 2 bolts in the head. The bracket would be made of 1/4 steel and coated the same as the cold side tubes. Sound ok?

They do hang low due to clearance.

Update....I'm so mad...I have to install the whole system in the car again so I can mock up the bracket. I don't remember if the turbo was at 10* or 15*. If I don't get it right my down tubes won't line up. Grrrrrrr

DButler
08-11-2010, 04:30 AM
Very nice setup. It is very similar to mine that I just finished up. I am just waiting on my carb to return from Cali. My turbos are in nearly the same locations, and I am running the same turbo setup. The only difference is I ran my into a front mount intercooler 2 to 1 and came out with one bigger pipe to carb. Check on my PT garage for pics. I am not really sure how to attach them here haha.

mnm99
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Very nice setup. It is very similar to mine that I just finished up. I am just waiting on my carb to return from Cali. My turbos are in nearly the same locations, and I am running the same turbo setup. The only difference is I ran my into a front mount intercooler 2 to 1 and came out with one bigger pipe to carb. Check on my PT garage for pics. I am not really sure how to attach them here haha.

Cool! PM'ed you.

Mike Norris
08-12-2010, 04:44 AM
With that setup it will be hard to get any good vertical support as they hang out there pretty far. What you propose will help for sure.

Mike Norris

PhillipM
09-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes it is...You guys inspired me. I went off his header design. Hope you don't mind. As for the brace..I see what your saying, but my setup may be a little different. I can get a brace on the drivers side if I needed to , but not on the pass. I'm hopeing I'm ok the way it is. I believe your headers were made out of 321SS. I made these out of 304. Once again I hope I'm ok. This is my first turbo build and wanted to do things right. I kinda wish I didn't do it in 304. Many say I'll be fine, we'll see I guess. Here are some pics of the cold side.

I think I would have stuck with the 321SS... Everything looks really well done.