PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Tools 105 Tubing Bender

astroracer
05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
I got my bender yesterday. I ordered it back in April but, due to a late steel shipment in January they were running 3 weeks behind on making the bending dies. They shipped it when they said they would though and it arrived well packed, in two boxes. I looked it over and it looks very nice. There are a few rough edges and whatnot from the flame cutter but overall the quality is as expected. I will try to get it set-up this weekend and make a few bends. I will definitely report back.
Mark

68protouring454
05-12-2005, 10:02 AM
would love to hear how you like it as i am about to purchase a tubing bender, did you get it manual or hydro?? or you gonna make your own hydro set up? let me know
jake

astroracer
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I'll come back with some pics and a report after I get it set up and working. I did a lot of research on these things and liked a few of the extra features built into the Pro-Tool units.
I'm not planning to put a cylinder on mine. I don't do that much bending but who knows. Now that that I've got one I'll have the ability to do more and that may change my mind.
Mark

68protouring454
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
cool, let me know what happens, also what die or dies did you get with it?
jake

68protouring454
05-15-2005, 04:04 PM
any luck??
jake

astroracer
05-16-2005, 03:18 AM
I ordered an 1 1/4 240* die with the bender. That is my current need right now for the control arms. I plan to order an 1 5/8ths and an 1 1/2 before to long.
I had zero time this weekend to test the bender. Worked late Thurs. & Fri nights and worked 8 hrs on Sat. The money is good so I'm can't turn the O.T. down....
Sunday morning I had a car show in Owosso. I didn't even have time to clean the storage dust off the truck until I got to the show... It was cold and windy and I was tired so I ended up leaving early. Anyway, Sunday afternoon got me a little nap and a couple of honey do's scratched off the list.

astroracer
05-16-2005, 03:38 AM
No luck, no luck at all...

astroracer
09-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Well, I finally got around to it and built a tool post for my tubing bender. It's kinda funny looking because I used a cast off base for a diving board as the bottom and welded a piece of 5 1/2" x 3/8 wall sewer pipe to it for a post.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

It does the job though. I bent this piece of 1.25dia. x .156 wall D.O.M. into a 180 with no problems. .

There are no kinks where the bend starts and stops and this is pretty heavy wall tubing. I am very pleased with my Pro-Tools 105 bender.
There was no movement from the tool post that I could feel during the bending process and I will be able to mount a bunch of other tools and my big vise to it also so it should come in real handy.
Thanks for looking.
Mark

parsonsj
11-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Mark,
I'm going to buy a tubing bender in the next couple of days. Would you still recommend the 105?

thanks!
jp

ProdigyCustoms
11-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Call me John

parsonsj
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Frank,

Will do.

jp

astroracer
11-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Yes John, I would still recommend it. It works very well and really opens up the options when designing and building a chassis.
Mark

baz67
11-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Mark,
I'm going to buy a tubing bender in the next couple of days. Would you still recommend the 105?

thanks!
jp

JP, you are not suffering from Parsonitis again are you?

parsonsj
11-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Don't you mean "Parsons Syndrome"? :)

No ... my next project looms (go kart for my daughter) and I want a tube bender for that and the project beyond that (G body, 2nd gen f-body, H body, A body or maybe something Mopar-based ...).

Perhaps some parts for others (control arms, grills, etc.). etc. etc.

jp

Bad Bowtie
11-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Don't you mean "Parsons Syndrome"? :)

No ... my next project looms (go kart for my daughter)
jp

John,
Is this going to be a "mini II much" for the daughter? :idea: I can see it now Briggs & Stratton EFI V Twin, Sears 6 spd trans, 3 link mini tubbed golf cart differential and nice set of 7 inch wilwoods :lmao:
Cant wait to see them:pics2:

Jack

boodlefoof
12-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Looks just like the JD squared bender? Are there any differences?

parsonsj
12-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Jack,

Too funny! We'll see ... but the cart plans I got have lots of "cut and weld" rather than bending the tube. So I thought it would be a great way to learn about tube bending and have fun teaching my daughter to weld.

jp

astroracer
12-01-2006, 10:24 AM
boodlefoof,
Yes, there were a number of things that Pro-Tools did with their design that I liked better then the JD Square stuff. One was the addition of a milled pocket in the lower arm for a thrust washer/bearing which keeps the bending die from rubbing the lower arm.
They also worked with me on a package that was affordable and I have had excellant customer service help.
Mark

boodlefoof
12-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Cool Mark. :twothumbs

jason@gmachine
02-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Looks just like the JD squared bender? Are there any differences?

that is because they copied it and so did JMR. I have heard some stories about this bender though, like it breaking when bending 2" 4130 .120 wall. It was just stories though!

but JD2 was the original design and maker of this kind of bender and IMO is the best. But when are you going to use 2" 4130 in a musclecar?

Jason