PDA

View Full Version : NOS panels versus Goodmark panels

next69
08-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I just picked up a 69 Camaro that needs new quarters, I have been looking and NOS panels are going to cost from $2500 to $2800 a pair depending on where you go, on the other hand a pair from goodmark are $800. I know the NOS panels are originals from 1969, but as far as fitment and quality what is the difference to justify the cost?

derekf
08-28-2004, 08:05 AM
I've never actually had a NOS panel to work with, but my understanding is that whatever you save in cost of the panel between NOS and repro, you'll spend more than that in labor getting the repro panel to fit as well as the NOS one would have.

As for me, I do my own labor so if panels don't fit right it just adds to my aggravation. I can't put a dollar value on that.

PSV
08-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I did not have to replace quarters, but I did replace the hood, header panel, lower valance, and rear bumper. I bought goodmark pieces and none of them fit to my satisfaction. They were not terrrible, but the gaps were not right and bolt holes needed to be slotted, etc. After the test fit, decided to go with nos pieces and they all fit great. The GM hood arived with some dings, but the gaps were much better than the goodmark. I can't do bodywork so its being done professionally, but the extra cost of the nos pieces was less than what it would have cost to MAKE the goodmark panels fit like I wanted.

next69
08-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Based on the limited feedback it appears the NOS panels are far superior in fitment, does anyone know of a place where they are closer to $1000 a side? Also any feedback regarding Goodmark quarter replacement experience would be appreciated.

72novadriver
08-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I used the Goodmark full quarters on the last car I did. The driver side went on pretty well, but the passenger side wasn't a very crisp stamping and required a few hours of extra work to make it look right. Since then Goodmark has made new tooling for the passenger side, and compared to the new one I saw they look much improved over the old ones.

Billy

LS1NOVA
08-29-2004, 07:09 AM
I used a NOS on one side and a Goomark on the other. As stated before, the extra bodywork needed to make the Goodmark look correct is going to be alot. Mostly the area in the door jamb and right behind the quarter window.

Speed Raycer
08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
A friend ordered up a Goodmark trunklid and lower valance panel for his 66 Nova SS. After bodyworking the hell out of it to get it straight he slapped the SS trim panel on the trunk only to find about 3/4" gap in the center of the trunk between the original trim and the trunk. Goodmarks trunk panel didn't have the freaking crown!

His lower valance panel also had a stress crack in it.

next69
08-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I recently contacted www.heartbeatcity.net which offers both NOS and Goodmark panels and they told me the panels for the 69 Camaro are very good and he would not recommend the extra expense, he also said the goodmark quarters that HE sells for the 68 are next to worthless. I am not sure if you guys know of this place but if you are looking for NOS parts he has a very nice selection and also ones an original ZL1. Awesome car, awesome parts, life is good.

protour_chevelle
09-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Also, the gauge of the metal is different is it not? I though that NOS panels would be thicker than the Goodmark?

-Matt

next69
09-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Matt, you are absolutely correct. That slipped my mind when typing but he did mention the NOS sheet metal was slightly thicker than that of the Goodmark panels. Thanks for the catch.

Mark Antrim
09-02-2004, 03:52 AM
I just picked up goodmark full quarters and measured the thickness. The difference was only .005-.010. Thats not much difference.

ProdigyCustoms
09-03-2004, 03:15 PM
NOS panels will be better by far, BUT, and a big BUT. Some NOS panels, MOST, NOS panels around now, are the last of the service replacements runs when the dies / stamps got old and worn, and are not as nice and crisp as older NOS panels. I have over the years had the luxury of installing many NOS panels, and that is why I ***** so much about repos. But I have to be the first to admit, a NOS panel made in the early 90s (last run for these) were not nearly that nice, and if I was doing a high end resto like a Yenko, Copo, Big Block Pace Car, I would actually hunt old panels.
Jim is a straight shooter, he will have a little of both if I know Jim. He may even ask different money for them, unless he doesn't have anymore old ones.
To be honest though, as much as I hate repos, for the $2k difference, unless it is a ZL1, I would not buy NOS. $2k buys a lot of labor. But if you came to me and money was no object, I would let you insist on NOS without much arguing.

mikes69z
04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
I put a Goodmark cowl hood on my '69 Camaro and it definately did not fit as nice as the original flat GM hood that came with the car.

The gap at the header was way off and the panel was slightly warped and needed straightening.

68fusion
04-13-2005, 04:03 AM
Most of the goodmark stuff is junk...thin, poorly stamped and welded. The only one that I have seen that is worth a damn is a roof. The fenders and doors are worthless... The 1/4's for 69's on the louver area are so poorly stamped you can spot them from 20 feet back. The deck lids suck ...beer can and are much smaller than factory one...then check you gap at back tail...you can get your whole finger in there! I use this stuff when I have to...rather use old stuff and fix it. Frank was rught, have put on NOS stuff from the 80's to 90's ...sometimes doesn't fit as good as repo, best to look for (fenders) that came on a car. Have heard that someone from the GOOD OLD USA is making decks and fenders(69's) for 1st gens...he weighed the deck and it was almost twice the weight of goodmarks..maybe twice the price but to me would be worth it....Like the saying goes you get what you pay for...

MuscleRodz
04-13-2005, 07:19 AM
NOS panels will be better by far, BUT, and a big BUT. Some NOS panels, MOST, NOS panels around now, are the last of the service replacements runs when the dies / stamps got old and worn, and are not as nice and crisp as older NOS panels. I have over the years had the luxury of installing many NOS panels, and that is why I ***** so much about repos. To be honest though, as much as I hate repos, for the $2k difference, unless it is a ZL1, I would not buy NOS. $2k buys a lot of labor. But if you came to me and money was no object, I would let you insist on NOS without much arguing.

I have to agree with Frank on this. I got an NOS left quarter for my 68 couple years ago and I am sure it was a late stamping. It fit good most everywhere except the tail panel. Had to do minor surgery to get it to fit right. You are going to have some work with NOS or aftermarket. The question is how much. If you are close to a supplier where you can pick and choose panels, that will help some. I was able to that with my tail panel and a couple other pieces that are repro on my car.

Mike

Mark Antrim
04-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I just finished installing both quarters and a tail panel on a 69 camaro. All parts were goodmark and the fit wasn't bad at all. You are going to have to adjust the panels a little nos or aftermarket.

Rick Dorion
04-14-2005, 03:50 AM
I've lost track of retooling facts. Are the 69 quarters being made from new tooling? I have a set of NOS I've been saving but if the current ones fit well enough, I'd use them.

ProdigyCustoms
04-14-2005, 04:08 AM
The 69 Convertible quarter is probably the best fitting quarter panel of all, except 70-72 Chevelle. I WOULD NOT spend NOS dollars for a convertible quarter unless I was doing a 397/375 original number matching car.