PDA

View Full Version : 50 posts required in order to sell something?????

elefantrider
07-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Been a member here since 2005. Just tried listing a Pro-touring ZL1 engine for sale but I couldn't because of this rule, it says is required "to avoid spam"

I don't have time to post 30 more messages needed to meet the requirement.

What creates more spam and wasted space?..... posting one liner messages in order to meet the 50 post requirement, or having the moderators effectively monitor the for sale ads for spam?

Seems like a strange rule to me.

jocko124
07-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm sure if you ask one of the moderators, they will waive the rue for you.

elefantrider
07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
How do I contact a moderator to waive this? The below message doesn't give that option:

"You don't have enough required posts to create a new thread in this section. In order to cut down on spam we have required you to have at least 50 posts in other sections of the site before you can post in the classified section."

jocko124
07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
send a PM to:

Bill Howell
Larry callahan
Damn True

to name a few.

elefantrider
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Mods - if you see this- can you hook me up?

derekf
07-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Actually, we don't have the required rights to do so.

PM Larry, he can do it.

parsonsj
07-29-2010, 10:29 AM
And... if you post a bunch of one line posts to get to 50, we usually notice and remove those posts.

So Mr. Elephant Rider, you're doing the classy thing. Larry can fix you.

jp

elefantrider
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Just PM'd Larry, will see if he can waive it.

Mods can close or remove this post now.

parsonsj
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
No, we'll leave it open for others' edification.

jp

elefantrider
07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Well I PM'd Larry but haven't heard back yet.
Maybe there is someone else who can waive this rule.
Tried listing it again but cannot.

Mr.VENGEANCE
07-30-2010, 08:23 AM
post up some pictures of the engine WITH a piece of paper saying "elefantrider" on it to show its legit..

then folks wont be so wary.. that IS a lot of money and we all want to feel safe about it.

derekf
07-30-2010, 08:37 AM
There is Larry, and there is Ralph. They're the ones with Administrator powers, and Ralph doesn't come around much.

Be patient, I'm sure Larry will get you taken care of.

elefantrider
07-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Does this help you.

SLO 65
07-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks like a moot point now (51 posts).

parsonsj
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Yep. Larry bumped his post count so he can run his ad now.

jp

Larry Callahan
07-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah. He's been a member for a over 5 years so I let him slide.

We will be reevaluating this rule once we make the switch to the new forum and it's easier to add other variables into it.

Steve1968LS2
07-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Been a member here since 2005. Just tried listing a Pro-touring ZL1 engine for sale but I couldn't because of this rule, it says is required "to avoid spam"

I don't have time to post 30 more messages needed to meet the requirement.

What creates more spam and wasted space?..... posting one liner messages in order to meet the 50 post requirement, or having the moderators effectively monitor the for sale ads for spam?

Seems like a strange rule to me.

It's a strange rule until you're ripped off by someone who only joined the site to post something for sale, get money and then skip out.

The theory is that selling stuff is for members of our community, in other words this isn't Craigslist.

Now we also look at how long someone has been a member and just like this case we fix these things on a case by case basis.

But, remember that the general rule is here to protect members from fly-by-night posters :)

Larry Callahan
07-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Very true. I consider us a community and want to keep it that way.

formula
07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Option C: Come contribute to the community more often! I'm sure you can offer more than 10 posts a year worth of legit posts, and we need all the people who have their heads on straight enough to go through the proper channels like you did to stick around, as they're usually valuable additions and not just scammers.

justasquid
07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
The cbr forum I belong to requires 100 post counts. On top of that, only technical posts more than 10 words count towards post count. Offtopic and one word posts are eliminated that way. The only posts that count are ones that contribute something to the forum. It has cut down on people getting ripped off considerably. Sure, it made some mad, but those people didn't contribute anyway, so it wasn't a loss to the forum memebers.

In all honesty, I think 50 post count is more than fair and could probably be higher. It keeps the benifit of selling for the contributing members, and not just people wanting to unload there stuff who don't really want anything to do with the website. If protouring is truly an interest, it shouldn't take much effort to get the posts up and start selling if you want to.

If you can't tell, I'm in favor of the restrictions.

vintageracer
07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
We will be reevaluating this rule once we make the switch to the new forum and it's easier to add other variables into it.

I am a member of number of websites that now require 100 posts before you can place a for sale ad to sell an item on the website. If you wish to post an item for sale before meeting the 100 post requirement you can purchase, yes I said buy and it cost's you money, a pass that allows you to post an ad/ads with restrictions such as the number of ads and lenght of time for the ads. After all the initial bitching by members with less than 100 posts and almost universal agreement by members with over 100 posts that this is a great idea the 100 post rule continues on all these sites and everyone adapted to the 100 post rule.

I personally think this issue is a much bigger deal with a "marque specific" site with a smaller and more detailed focus/following. Sites with a very specific focus on a particular make/model of car that have tried the "X number of posts to place an ad idea" have failed miserably and seen their once active For Sale section dwindle to nothing. My personal observation is that the larger sites with a much broader focus (inlcude most any car) like Pro-touring.com have not had any problems with the X number of posts requirment particularly when there is a "Pay to Post" option for those who do not meet the X number of post's requirement at the time they want to sell one or more items. If the seller really is interested in selling their items the "Pay to Post" option for those with less than 100 posts is still usually a lot cheaper than Ebay and allows the seller to target the specific market segment they desire without active site participation. Most scammers will not spend money to post an ad so this has eliminated most all scams on these sites. The "Pay to Post" options also brings in some dollars to help support the site from folks who are not active participants of the site. That's why they have less than 100 posts!

Something to consider when the site changes are made.