PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Safety switch for B&M?

TheRoaringEagle
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I got a painless wiring direct fit harness and ran into some wires I don't think I need...?

2 purple wires read "ignition switch <start> to neutral safety switch" and "neutral safety switch to starter solenoid"
2 green wires reading "to back up switch <power b+>" and "to back up light switch"

With a B&M Quicksilver shifter I won't need the neutral safety stuff because it has neutral safety lock-out on it right?

And how do I install the back up wires on my aftermarket shifter? (I didn't ever have backup lights because it came with RS taillights on a standard - but I want to add them later)

Also I have a lot of left over wires. I don't need a bunch of stuff, like the heater, cigarette lighter, courtesy lights, stereo, and a/c wires. Is it safe to just bundle them up and tie them down somewhere for later? It's not going to drain my battery if i do so right? (Sorry i'm not much of an electrical person... at all)

zbugger
05-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Yes you will need a neutral safety switch. You really don't want the ability to start your car in any gear. It's not as fun as it sounds. Your shifter should have a diagram showing how to wire it in. You're gonna want a wiring diagram for your car, and you're gonna want to study it to death for a while.

TheRoaringEagle
05-11-2005, 10:55 PM
ohhhh... so that's what it's for. yeah, i don't want that happening. it happened once while i was on my driveway and i shot out across into the street and ended up in my neighbors lawn. whew. but as far as the draining battery due to loose wires, would that happen?

zbugger
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Depends. You're in the Santa Cruz area, right? Let me know and I may be able to take a look at your work for you one of these weekends. It'll have to be after the 21st though. Got something going then...

TheRoaringEagle
05-15-2005, 01:24 AM
that would be great, but i'm living on the ucsc campus so it's bundled temporarily in not the best way so i'd be embarassed by my work. ha but anyways i don't have time to take care of the neutral safety switch, i have to get my car running before the 20th so i can fix a ticket. thanks!

OHCbird
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Bundled is OK so long as you've terminated them properly- Wrap each end in tap that is doubled over on it's self. Why aren't you using some of those circuits?

I'd check CA regs- Last I remember, back-up lights were required. Or maybe it's just me (seriously).

TheRoaringEagle
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
it's just a matter of budget and time. i only need to get my car running to get from point a to point b right now. i got finals soon and i don't have a job so buying the backup lights and cutting holes in my rear valance is not an option for me. plus where i park i don't have access to any outlets for a drill. i just need to use the wires for what i have and i'll use the circuits later, just not now.

i got a ticket for no insurance proof, no side view mirror, not horn, and mufflers being too loud, which was the initial reason for pulling me over. it's up to $1,044 and fixed it'll get down to $140. so i'm kinda scrambling to get that taken care of. i have the mufflers, horn, and insurance done. i just to need to drive it to an officer to fix it off.

zbugger
05-15-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't even think you need backup lights on a '67. I don't even think it came with them. Make sure you get that mirror done.

OHCbird
05-16-2005, 05:25 AM
You may not be required to use them, but they did come with them (the white section of the tail lenses). The RS cars had seperate lights down in the rear valence, with all-red tail lenses.

LMK if i can help anymore...