PDA

View Full Version : Custom Autosound install?

68byrd
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I have a Custom Autosound USA-230 radio that I am trying to install in the firebird ('68). I have the radio installed the way the instructions say, but the radio knobs stick out 2.5" from the faceplate. This looks horrible. I was wondering if anyone has installed one of these units or if there is a way shorten the threaded shafts for knobs to pull them closer to the dash? I called the "tech" line at CAS which was a complete waste of time. Thanks for your help.

Jesse

JChilders
07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
My experience is return it. I had one in my chevelle for about 4-5 months before it stopped working. It never looked right and sounded like crap.

jack
07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
there are extra nuts on the volume and tuner shafts. You set your depth with them. so you basical pinch your dash between the lock nuts. the radio doesnt go up against the dash.

jack
07-26-2010, 11:35 AM
You can also take the top off the radio and move the shafts inward on some radios. they just bolt on by the same shaft.

68byrd
07-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

JChilders- How long ago did you have yours?

JChilders
07-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I got it about 2 years ago. If you do a search on Team Chevelle's site you will see I am not the only one to have problems.

hifi875
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
x2 w/childers- those radios look kinda like factory buts whats worse is they sound like a factory deck. send it back unless you prefer below average sound quality and reliability

IronHelix
11-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I just installed one of these units a few minutes ago. Well I never actually wired it... just mounted. I was so dissappointed with the quality and look that I am on here looking for alternatives. A few comments... the knobs are closer together that the stock radio, why I dont know. It is impossible to get the stock trim/face plate to work... you can space the knobs out but the stock piece will never "pinch" like the plasic piece supplied with the kit (which looks like cheap plastic and doesnt sit completely flush). I pluged the the RCA jacks into the back, when I unplugged them the ground ring for one of the RCA lines pulled off the back of the radio. I dont know if these are usually soldered on or what... I pushed it back on and checked it out with a multimeter and it appears to be ok... (untill the next time I unplug the RCA cable). I have the knobs adjusted in as far as they can go without hitting the face plate and you can still see the shafts under the knobs. Also, you can tell this thing is made for alot of different applications. There are adapters/spacers on the knobs and around the center of the radio..... and the chevy tag can be popped off... probably to put a ford sign on it. This thing is definately not designed specifically for a 67-68 Camaro.
Anyway... dont buy this thing if you want a quality fit and look. I still cant believe the RCA jack is jacked and I only unplugged it once ... sheesh

DynoDon
11-14-2010, 07:44 AM
I have used their radios for many years. The quality has gotten better over the years but certainly isn't up to the standard of modern electronics. Having said that the Hidden Audio from them that is in my 1956 T Bird sounds surprisingly good. The one in my Falcon is pretty decent. The one in the 68 Ranchero is actually pretty good. They seem to be rally sensitive to the speaker that they are matched to. In over twenty years, I have Never had a failure with them, except for an issue when I didn't read the instructions and plugged in one of their CD Changers in the wrong order and smoked it - they replaced it for free even though I admitted it was my fault.

wmhjr
11-14-2010, 08:58 AM
My experience with custom auto sound is "Ok". I'm using one of their secret audio SST units solely for the convenience. The quality of both manufacturing and sound is mediocre at best. The RF remote is very convenient, but is of poor quality and the buttons are problematic. I'm having a little issue with the iPod controller part now as well. Sound is barely "OK". I'm thinking of adding an amp simply because the integrated amp is not real great. If there were another manufacturer of a similar unit, I'd have gone that route without question even if it were more expensive.

rickpaw
11-15-2010, 07:36 AM
Has anyone tried any of the Retro-Sound units? I did a search and not much came up, except for one thread back in 08.