PDA

View Full Version : is this gap in the perch a problem?

ionizer
07-25-2010, 03:18 PM
just swapped in a ford 9" and now have a gap between the perch and spring. does this mean the rearend can move now? whats the best way to secure it if I need to?

ProdigyCustoms
07-25-2010, 03:25 PM
You went from a mono leaf perch on your orignal rear to a multi leaf perch on the new rear. You will need to fill that void with a block so you can sandwich down on that spring. Or ge a set of multi leaf springs which would be advisable anyway.

Mingus
07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
x2 on what Frank said plus I would not move it at all under it's own power until you fix it or your tires could get very friendly with the wheelwells.

ionizer
07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Frank -

Thank you... I will be ordering some multi leafs and keep the car in garage a bit longer :-(

Much appreciated advice- Thank you again.

Scott

ionizer
07-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks to you also Mike-

not wanting the tire to wheelwell relationship to friendly thats for sure.

atleast I get to stare at it sitting there in the garage.. right?

Scott

Mingus
07-25-2010, 04:39 PM
No problem Scott. It gets tempting (especially if it's been apart for awhile) to talk yourself into just "a spin around the block" when something isn't right. It is a bad deal when the rearend decides to go for a walk. I've seen it mostly on lifted trucks. They shear the spring center pin and it usually tears the body and tires up pretty good if not just outright wreck them.
Maybe it's time for ladder bars, you already have the floaters taken care of. :twothumbs

ionizer
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Really - ladder bars also? I have traction bars and subframe connectors on it. get some ladders for it also?