PDA

View Full Version : magnetic materials

Gertie
07-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Hoping someone here can help me out. Sorry I am not a racer, and I am not really a fabricator, but I need to know what to ask for when I get the fabricator to make me some pieces. My job is to keep everything organized so the guys can put their hands on things when needed. They are pretty good about putting stuff back in the right case, but digging around when the clock is ticking not an option, so it falls to me to sort things out.

To aid that, lots of tools and parts now have nice hooks and / or holders, but the little things are just a pain. I got a nice set of tin holders, now I want to put magnets on them and fasten them to sheets. I like the look of stainless and how easy it is to keep clean, but it is expensive to get the magnetic 430 type. Yes, I know I thought stainless was all non-metallic as well, for those wondering, but no. Only the type generally used for average commercial purposes like appliances and household goods is generally non-metallic, and even it can become metallic through cold forming processes. What about sheets of tin? Will the damp from humidity and such quickly discolor them? Is there some way to coat it to prevent this?

Thanks in advance.