PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Someone Has Had this problem!!

obengston
07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Okay I will try to explain the best way I can. I just re-installed my engine (nothing was done to the engine when I had it out). After getting it back in I did the norm set timing ect. Then realized I needed to change the Distributor (msd HEI) hooked to a MSD 6a box due to firewall clearance (changed motor mounts lost just enough clearance). So I ordered the MSD 8361 with a MSD Street Blaster Coil E-Core. It arrived installed it along with new plugs. I set the timing around 36 total. Sounds good even when I rev it, but when I go for a ride if feels as though it is missing bad. I stop seems to rev good. I checked spark plug wires several times. I took distributor out 4-5 times to make sure I was at TDC. The only thing that for some reason I don't feel confident on is when I set it at TDC I feel the 1 plug termenal inside the cap is behind the rotor (in other words if looking at it as a clock the cap terminal for #1 would be at 3 oclock and the rotor would be at 4 oclock) so that means it would be off, but it cranks up no problems set timing no problem. When placed in gear and under load it is defenently missing or something. I may borrow my buddies carb just to make sure nothing funny is going on with mine it, AED 750. I installed the external coil directly beside the distributor. So any clues on what I might need to check.

MrQuick
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
sounds like it might be over advancing...try pulling it back to 32 and retry....also check 5&7 make sure they are not swapped...humor us.

vince

obengston
07-23-2010, 03:13 AM
I checked 5&7 and every other plug at least 8 times now. As far as over advancing I tried it with the Vac advance hooked up and unhooked same result. With the timing light I would rev it up and get a tot of anywheres between 35-39 all with the same result. Good throttle response while timing it , but once I start to drive it it feels like it is missing bad...

obengston
07-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Okay I just came from the garage. I took the #1 plug out rotated the engine until it blew my thumb, then slowly turned it to match up the Harmon balancer line with the timing tab. I then pulled the Dis Cap and the rotor is basically alligned with the #1 Terminal. But I put the cap back on hooked the wires but had to turn the Dist CCW a good bit to get it to fire going CW any and it will not fire up. I can only go CCW with the cap from the TDC from where the rotor and terminal are alligned. In fact time I get it timed in The # 8 is almost in line with where the rotor is at TDC. But onced timed this way it is responsive and sounds good, but once I start to drive I feel as though it is missing. Should I advance it more and see????

CamaroAJ
07-23-2010, 05:11 AM
please post the firing order you are useing. on a SBC you can wire it that it will rev just fine but with a load it will misfire.

obengston
07-23-2010, 06:50 AM
I have my firing order as 1 / 8 / 4/ 3/ 6 /5 / 7 / 2

1994 Python
07-23-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure if this will help you or not. I just got done fighting my 351W with full MSD ignition including distributor. I would get the motor running very good and it would rev nice. Take if for a drive ans it would start runing like crap. Long story short the roll pin that holds the distributor gear had sheared and as the engine was running I would slowly lose time. The distributor had less than 400 miles on it.

CamaroAJ
07-23-2010, 07:04 AM
stock balancer? kinda sounds like the outside has moved on the rubber. so while you think your at TDC you infact are not.

obengston
07-23-2010, 07:19 AM
Okay not for sure if this changes any ideas. Just came back inside. Set timing again. Sounds great revs good. Go to dive and start feeling it bog. I jacked the rear up put in gear ecellerate some seemd good. Try again this time with brake applied some it starts bogging. let off break no problem. ?? Maybe Carb I don't know or could timing do this as well.

MrQuick
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
try at 30 degrees total. see what happens

double check your advance weights and springs...the fact that you have to retard to start tells us something is funky with the distributor, timing tabs or balancer.

ErikLS2
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Not much to add to what's been said but I would keep your focus on the ignition. I can't tell you how many times I've replaced something on a car (and I work on them for a living) and it then develops a new problem. Well, since I can't seem to think I ever do anything wrong I go on and look for a new problem. It almost always comes back to something I did and I would have saved many hours if I had just gone back and rechecked what I originally did.

Coils can sometimes act like this under load but run fine at idle or just revving. Got another one you can try temporarily. The balancer slipping is another good thought, do you have a piston stop or can you make one and verify TDC?

Good luck!

obengston
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Posted this on another site a guy said he had the same set up and MSD told him to change the wires. Well I had mentioned that my #1 plug did not seem as though it was firing correct was not cleaning to good. So I replaced that wire with one of my old ones, and the problem has almost went away. So I'm going to order new wires. Sucks the ones I have are new, but not good enough. I also installed the blaster ss coil on the firewall about 2inches from the distributer. MSD tech told me to move it. I have moved it to the right side of the hydrobooster. So I think once I get a new MSD wires it should be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Oscar

CamaroAJ
07-23-2010, 07:08 PM
i have never cared for MSD's stuff. their wires were on a vette i had and they were melted to the plug. that and i had a 6AL box crap out on me.

obengston
07-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Update. Replaced all wires with my old ones and it ran better still had a miss. Just realized #5 plug porcelian was cracked and arching replaced and runs great now.