PDA

View Full Version : quick question about checking aero mods

CamaroAJ
07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
since my car is currently not in a running state i was wondering if i could still check some simple aero mods with garage fans? i know it sounds backyard redneck but can i put a few fans in front of the car so i can see how the air is moving or would the wind speed be too slow to really get a good idea?

since there is no engine in the car i thought i could get in the engine bay and see where the air was moving to best place vents on the fenders. maybe also test some on belly pans and rear defusers.

anybody have some insite?

Nessumsar
07-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I dont see why that wouldn't work, they would have to be some pretty high CFM fans though...

DocJr
07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Most of the time, aerodynamics doesn't come into play until about 45-50 mph...that being said you might want to make sure you have enough power, after all, that's why most wind tunnels are HUGE.

I don't know how you want to test...stick on strings would be best for you application. If the car was running and was able to drive, a very dirty car driven in drizzling weather would be best hahaha.

If you try something, make sure you record it for analyzing purposes.

CamaroAJ
07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
i'm not sure the amount of air flow would be a problem with the shop fans i have to use. they are the big drum style that move large amounts of air. i mainly want to test some air flow through the grill and maybe under the rear of the car. the rest can wait till the car is driveable.

novaderrik
07-23-2010, 09:02 AM
air will flow thru the engine bay differently without an engine in there- it will just flow right out thru the trans tunnel- and the front of the car will be higher without the weight of the engine holding it down.
the only way to do this right would be to put an engine and trans in it, along with a radiator and AC condenser if running AC. don't forget to put your headers on it, too, since they will take up a lot of room between the engine and frame. hell, even the oil filter and starter might make a difference in how air piles up or flows thru there.

DocJr
07-23-2010, 09:34 AM
...with that said, I wouldn't do the test untill he puts everything back in. Angle of attack is crucial.

Yea dude, I would wait haha

CamaroAJ
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
hmm, good point. looks like the only thing i can test is the brake ducts lol.

Wicked
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
What mods are you testing?

CamaroAJ
09-30-2010, 04:07 AM
mainly just small things like my brake ducts or air flow through the grill.

my plan is to seal off as much of the grill as i can and direct the air where i need it rather then where it wants to go.