PDA

View Full Version : Hood hinge pics

parsonsj
08-27-2004, 06:20 PM
As some of you may remember, I've been fighting a hood hinge problem for a month or so. The problem was that the tire would have hit the hinge during bump travel. So with Jeremie's (Gonzostyle) help, I hooked up with Bavarian Auto (http://www.bavauto.com) and got a complete 3 series BMW setup.

I had to do some fab to get it to work, but I think it is turning out nicely. Not shown (since I haven't finished that part yet) is the rear roller/track part where the back of the hood fits onto a track and is guided into place. Very trick. Gotta give the Germans some credit for a robust and compact setup.

Here's some pics at the "proof of concept" stage.

jp

Ralph LoGrasso
08-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Looks good, JP. A front opening hood is trick! How about some pics of the wheels? :D

derekf
08-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Way slick looking. Looking forward to more progress.

Those sure are some beefy looking front tires.

Jim Nilsen
08-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey John , It looks like it is coming along well. You will never regret making it flip forward. With your engine back 6 in. you really wouldn't have liked working around the hood and the hinge.

I really liked the way mine worked out when it was on the ground and I could really get the feel for the way it went together.

Jim Nilsen

parsonsj
08-29-2004, 06:49 PM
It will be nice not having the hinges in the way. Plus I'm happy about no pins, and something a little different.

Derek and Ralph, sorry about the pulled pic. Your comments made me realize I may have been showing a little too much :).

I'll have some better pics soon, as I'm doing the finish work on it this week. I hope the rollers get here soon so I can do the back piece.

jp

nancejd
08-29-2004, 07:26 PM
If they had only seen what I've seen........

CAMAROBOY69
08-30-2004, 04:57 AM
Hinges look great! Now quit teasing us and show us the whole car! lol :ssst:

justanova
08-30-2004, 07:25 AM
looks great, I am using a hinge setup off of a 5 series BMW of the same vintage, havent fabbed anything yet, but I have all the parts. It will be a trick setup, and fairly simple too. :cool:

keep those pics coming. :bananna2:

Salt Racer
08-30-2004, 08:48 AM
I like it! :smoke:

HOOLIGAN
08-31-2004, 06:19 PM
JP, Nice hood hinge/teaser pic of your rt. front suspension. Can't wait to see it all!

LowBuckX
09-10-2004, 02:00 AM
more pics please... :seizure:

Little Bob
09-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Sweeeet Hinges, How hard were they?

parsonsj
09-10-2004, 03:12 PM
The whole hood hinge saga took about 6 weeks: 2 weeks on hinges that wouldn't work, 2 weeks getting the basic fab in place on this, and another 2 weeks doing body work and figuring out how to put the firewall anchors in.

Anyway, by request, here's a couple more pics. The bodywork inside the hood isn't all done, but the hard part is.

jp

Speed Raycer
09-10-2004, 05:00 PM
The BMW hinges are very popular on 53-56 F-100's. We used one on ours. Ours used a very simple 3/8's solid rod for the roller guide on the rear. Our's is a little bit different than this one, but it gives you the idea used in case you're still having issues.https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2004/09/hoodkitlg-1.jpg

parsonsj
09-10-2004, 05:38 PM
No issues. I'm thrilled with how it all turned out.

The rod-based roller guides look like a neat idea. I actually have some 3/8 stainless rod around here somewhere, but I doubt I could make two rollers that were exactly the same without a whole bunch of work. With mine, if the rollers ever wear out (yeah, right!), I can drop by my local BMW dealer and pick up a set.

Next up is the latch and inside hood release.

jp

LowBuckX
09-10-2004, 11:51 PM
:bananna2: I wish you ould see what Im cookin up its just a idea in cardboard right now but total cost involved will be " keeping with my lowbuck them" about $10. This is with scavanging at work for materials. :hammer:

That price is without sparco hood pins.