PDA

View Full Version : Mustang project car thoughts?

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Been looking for a new magazine project car and it has been a while since I bought an old stang (like 24 years)..

I have 3 under consideration.. a '66 and two '68's.. I know about the rust deal in the lower front of the door but what else to look for?

Also, the two '68 are V8's and the '66 is a I6.. Part of the deal will be an engine swap but I don't think that will be a big deal with the I6. I guess the V8's would be worth a bit more but then again the cars cost more.

I also think the '68's have a bit more track "looks" since they have more aggressive body lines but I also like the clean simple lines of the 65-66.

Just bouncing ideas.. thoughts?

Maverick Man
05-11-2005, 09:27 AM
steve...

three of my good friends have mustangs and seen what has or already happened to them (maybe thats why i did a maverick ;) ).... so anyways i'd check for rust in the rear 1/4 pannels by the wheel wel also cowl a prime space for leaks and rust. the shock towers are also know for cracking (then again you'll probably knock the towers out anwyays)

as for I6 vs V8 i think just go with the V8 just becuase of basic things like 4 lug vs 5 lug, cross member etc.. but then again you problably not going to use any of the stock stuff anyways.

hum? so why i'm i telling you this ...lol!

anyways i say 67-68 as long as it don't look like a gone in 60 sec clone.. or any other one out there... for mustangs its kinda been done if you know what i mean.

you sure you don't wanna do like a 62 falcon? less of them done up pro tour then mustangs don't you think?

if your worried about finding parts for a falcon thats what makes it fun... then again dearborn makes some repo parts. but for mustangs they make almost everything for them. very nice and convient but i think you know the point i'm getting at.

just my 1 cent.

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Im sure I am not giving away any secrets here but picking a car with zero aftermarket is not the best way to get a magazine project car done.. If ya catch my dirft :)

No Elanores.. I want it to have a vintage Trans Am track car look.. but with enough cush to drive on the street as well. I want people to see that it is not hard to get into running at track days and vintage races. I wanted to pick a Ford to break up all the chevie projects I see going on.

I wanted a Mustang because of resale value and because I like em.. Plus they are common enough for others to duplicate the project to whatever degree..

Hey.. get your July issue yet?? Don't blame me for the title of your feature.. I was overruled ;)

68protouring454
05-11-2005, 09:54 AM
go 68 for reasons you stated much more track looking, make it a fastback also. if it is complete dump some water in the cowl vents as this can lead to costly repair if you fix it right, check to see leaks on passenger side floor toe board, also around where blower mounts
let us know which way you go
jake

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 09:57 AM
No budget for a fastback.. it is crazy how much more one costs over a coupe..

Thanks for the tip on the cowl :)

CAMAROBOY69
05-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Damn you Steve you are going to have all my dream projects finished before I even finish my first one.
Im planning on a 67 Fastback next so you have to do something different like a 65 or 66. Or better yet how about with all that extra money you have now you just pay me to do it. J/K :lmao:
I would be happy to build a car for someone. :)

mtuck
05-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Steve,

I am still new at this game but i also have an opinion on what i think your next car should be.

First off let me start by saying that i am a chevy guy. I am currently building up a 67' Camaro. But if you want something different, then look to build a Buick. I was thinking of a 70-72 GS with a 455. How many of these do you see? Most of the parts you would need are already available. Just think of the horsepower alone. You could build up a 455 and add a vortec supercharger or two. I am getting excited just thinking about it. Then add a Pro-touring Suspension and some bigger wheels.

Just giving you another option. This is just my 2-cents.

Thanks for the space
Matthew

4MuscleMachines
05-11-2005, 10:44 AM
IMO, you have good ideas Steve. The 65-66 Fastbacks are less expensive than the 67-68's (thanks to Eleanor) and more common thus readily available to buy. Since I own 3 Mustangs but not a 2nd gen one, I vote for the 67-68. They are seen much less than the first gen Stangs and should peak interest.

steemin
05-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Steve,
I would lean towards the 65/66 Mustangs.
I would really try and do a 2+2 (fastback) if possible.
Much better resale and a "racier" design in my opinion.
The 65/66 are very light cars. I think they weigh in around 2,700lbs!
You can squeeze a 351 w/o shock tower removal
(stroked to up to 427c.i.) if you like.
This will however make for a cramped engine compartment
(pita to work on). There are in infinite amount of choices based on the 302 (stroked to up to 347c.i.) and with the lightweight car this is a great combo for a budget build.
As a side note I ran across a post(perhaps here) that was from a guy that was attempting to buy a project 67/68 fastback on ebay.
He was being out bid everytime by the same bidder!
With a little research the guy discovered that some company had hired Chip Foose as a designer and they were stockpiling 67/68's to start producing Chip Foose designed Mustangs..Interesting story I don't know if it is true or not.
Scott

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't know.. around here even a decent (not a POS) 65-66 fastback is well over $8k.. in fact $8k would be a deal..

It will be a coupe which, after seen J. Biddles ex trans am car, can look pretty damn good if done up right.

I like the buick idea but I want to go outside GM on this one.. might be a buick in my future though :)

Midwest Performance
05-11-2005, 11:36 AM
My father has a 1967 Mustang coupe for sale right now. He wants 6800 I think. It is a complete and fairly solid car. It is in the for sale forum. PM me if you want to know more.

Kevin

my72vette454
05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Hey If you want to do somthing different but still keep the trans am theme, how about a javelin?? PHR could be the first one to do an amc project car...just a thought.

Mike

bnickel
05-11-2005, 01:31 PM
hye steve you can finish my car for the ma if you want :hammer:

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
hye steve you can finish my car for the ma if you want :hammer:

Your a giver... :)

Oh, and thanks for the car advice but this time around it will be a Ford mustang.. For the next car I will post up and maybe we can come up with something else :D

Im leaning tword the 68 with the V8.. can get the car for $2800 and that is right in the sweet spot of my budget..

kmcanally
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
TOP 10 reasons for doing a 67/68 coupe instead of 65/66 coupe or fastback...

1. accepts more tire in stock form

2. were real TA cars in their day (Shelby ran some coupes in this
series...something about Terlingua)

3. accepts more tire in stock form

4. much cheaper than the fastbacks (and better looking too! now thats a hot opinion)

5. accepts more tire in stock form

6. more muscular looking body than the 65/66

7. accepts more tire in stock form

8. a little wider between the shock towers (big block?)

9. accepts more tire in stock form

10. because that is what I have!

in addition to the already mentioned rust hot spots also look at the trunk lid right above the molding. water gets in through the holes for this trim and the trunk letters...signs of this rust can usually be seen first on the inside of the trunk

kmcanally
05-11-2005, 01:52 PM
I assume this project will be after the penny project is done?

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I assume this project will be after the penny project is done?

Well this is a pure magazine project car akin to g/28.. I will take me MONTHS to get the car, do the initial testing, come up with a plan, deal with supplies and come up with exactly what will be used on the car and such.

Then I will write the first story.. how I found the car and the results of the first test. After that comes suspension and all that jazz.

between now and then I will work on Penny.. she really is a pro-street car in PT clothing.. I want to show how you could turn a PS car into a more PT car. We will teak the rear suspension to be more curve friendly.. Get the engine more streetable.. get the brakes better.. swap the trans.

It should be a nice series, there are a TON of PS and straight line cars out there and I am sure a few of the owners would like to ballance out their cars a bit more and get more tword g-Machine.

Steve1968LS2
05-11-2005, 02:29 PM
TOP 10 reasons for doing a 67/68 coupe instead of 65/66 coupe or fastback...

1. accepts more tire in stock form

2. were real TA cars in their day (Shelby ran some coupes in this
series...something about Terlingua)

3. accepts more tire in stock form

4. much cheaper than the fastbacks (and better looking too! now thats a hot opinion)

5. accepts more tire in stock form

6. more muscular looking body than the 65/66

7. accepts more tire in stock form

8. a little wider between the shock towers (big block?)

9. accepts more tire in stock form

10. because that is what I have!

in addition to the already mentioned rust hot spots also look at the trunk lid right above the molding. water gets in through the holes for this trim and the trunk letters...signs of this rust can usually be seen first on the inside of the trunk

I find your odd reasons most compelling (there is a pun in there somewhere).. thanks for the rust tip, I will add it to the list :)

Dragonsnake
05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I will vote for the 67-68 Coupe,because they have a more muscular looking attitude,and they are cheaper than the fastback.

The fastbacks have been done in so many different styles by now,so a coupe will be a fresh project.

Personally i wouldn have done a Mustang,but a 72 Grand Torino or a 73-77 Laguna in trans am or Nascar clothing.....:cool:

B Cichocki
05-11-2005, 03:24 PM
No Elanores.. I want it to have a vintage Trans Am track car look.. but with enough cush to drive on the street as well.

Hey, Steve, here's a thought. You can buy my car, I'll sell all the in-progress photos to PHR, and you can write the story! :fingersx:

-Brian

Mean 69
05-11-2005, 05:28 PM
As a side note I ran across a post(perhaps here) that was from a guy that was attempting to buy a project 67/68 fastback on ebay.

I heard somewhere that Unique Products, aka Shelby Performance spinoff? is buying these cars like crazy to build into Eleanor clones. I also heard the same would soon hold true for 69 Camaro's, they are now advertising their rear suspension design for the first gen F body cars. Clear ripoff of the TCP suspension design, including compromises.

I'd have to also vote for a 67/8 coupe. I have a 65 FB body that will be a future project, and I love the car, but the hobby needs a shakeup in my opinion. I love my 69 Camaro, but there are so many of them being built up, it is driving me nuts, and I am going to build a second gen F body for the next car (already found two potential donor cars). It is crazy what people are asking for the more sought after cars, time to expand the sweet spot by putting some alternatives out there. A coupe with some cool, but not overstated aero would be terrific.

Of course, we'd love to be involved in any such project!
M

boodlefoof
05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Awww, no fastback!

Well, if not a fastback, then I say go for the '68. I like the 65-66 fastbacks much better than the later fastbacks, but I like the later coupes better than the early coupes.

rayy
05-11-2005, 07:34 PM
After a friend of mine sold his 69 fastback to Brent Voelkel from air ride we were talking about the next project car. The first thing that came into my mind was why not do a 67/68 coupe with a Trans Am theme. We kept thinking on how to do the car as if it was a factory option in 67 or 68. Basically a Trans Am option in 67/68 like the Boss was in 69. Nothing wild just simple but affective mods. Sounds like you have a great project in the works.

DJ Mabe
05-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Steve, the 68 coupe is a good choice. I think those cars can look pretty mean. Keep us posted on your project status.

kmcanally
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
i think it is unanimous....a 68 coupe

Steve1968LS2
05-13-2005, 07:09 AM
i think it is unanimous....a 68 coupe

Yea and then I find a smoking deal on a 67.. lol..

What are the differences between a 67 and 68? The '68's have hood slots.. same dimensionally?

I need feedback!! :)

Mean 69
05-13-2005, 07:48 AM
There really is not too much different between the two years, trim pieces, etc. You can make either look like the other without too much issue. Dimensionally equivalent (as are all of the early years, with some small-ish differences in wheel tubs for the 65/6 versus later years, front lower control arm chassis side location, maybe some other tiny issues). The later years got progressively heavier, the 65 FB's with a SBF came in around 2800 lbs or so. Light is good. But, you can't put much tire under them at all with hacking big time. The 67 has a lot more room for tires, as is noted here already.

I have some GREAT Trans Am photos with some of the 67 coupes, they are terrific cars to say the least.

Mark

DJ Mabe
05-13-2005, 11:56 AM
The 67's had the hood turn signals as well. It's all a matter of opinion but I would rather have the 67 over the 68. The 68's have side markers on the front and rear, the 67's don't have those markers. Other than that, not a whole lot of differences between the two years. If you found a deal on a 67 buy it.

Derrick

Steve1968LS2
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
The deal turned out to be a 66 :(

It is only $1000 but still.. I want a 67 or 68.. I will go check it out, what the heck..

(note: 66 stang coupe.. no motor.. $1000 and in good shape.. red)

GT350Clone
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Hmmm... I'd do a 67/68 coupe, for several reasons.

First and foremost, as mentioned repeatedly earlier, you can get MORE TIRE underneath a 67/68 than a 65/66 car. Without flairs or major mods, 235 or 245 tire is the limit on the front of a 65/66.

Initial purchase price of a 67/68 coupe would be a LOT more reasonable, and the coupes, done right, have a nasty :evil: "all business" attitude, whereas the FB body can look "heavy".

I'd think "Trans Am Coupe" - modern suspension, 17/18" rubber, 6-speed, etc. Look at Brian's car (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6376) for some additional inspiration. :thankyou:

Powertrain has SEVERAL great possibilities: blown EFI 347, 393/408 stroker (351W block), or even a 4.6 DOHC will fit with some minor shock tower trimming.

Suspension --- Either the new Global West coilover, or the RRS suspension would be worth a look. Jeff Ford (a former editor) is the USA honcho for RRS... :fingersx:

Can I help wrench on it? This sounds like FUN! :cool:

Steve1968LS2
05-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Hmmm... I'd do a 67/68 coupe, for several reasons.

First and foremost, as mentioned repeatedly earlier, you can get MORE TIRE underneath a 67/68 than a 65/66 car. Without flairs or major mods, 235 or 245 tire is the limit on the front of a 65/66.

Initial purchase price of a 67/68 coupe would be a LOT more reasonable, and the coupes, done right, have a nasty :evil: "all business" attitude, whereas the FB body can look "heavy".

I'd think "Trans Am Coupe" - modern suspension, 17/18" rubber, 6-speed, etc. Look at Brian's car (https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6376) for some additional inspiration. :thankyou:

Powertrain has SEVERAL great possibilities: blown EFI 347, 393/408 stroker (351W block), or even a 4.6 DOHC will fit with some minor shock tower trimming.

Suspension --- Either the new Global West coilover, or the RRS suspension would be worth a look. Jeff Ford (a former editor) is the USA honcho for RRS... :fingersx:

Can I help wrench on it? This sounds like FUN! :cool:

Where ya at?? more wrenchs is always a good thing :)

And yes.. that is the exact look the car will have.. A trans am coupe. We shot J. Biddles real trans amm 68 stang a couple of weeks ago and that sealed the deal. It will be a cross between a trans am racer and a street cruiser..

Steve Chryssos
05-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Flares. It should have flared fenders that say: "I had to make the tires fit."

Steve1968LS2
05-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Flares. It should have flared fenders that say: "I had to make the tires fit."

Flare this buddy..

;)

Ya know.. handling is more than just some wide tires.. true story..

vintageracer
05-14-2005, 05:48 PM
67-68 Coupe. I Vintage race against several 67-68 Coupes including Biddle's car. They make a great looking race car and superb looking pro-touring Mustang.

Stangonline.com
05-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Hey, Steve, here's a thought. You can buy my car, I'll sell all the in-progress photos to PHR, and you can write the story! :fingersx:

-Brian

God, email me with a price. :)

[email protected]

Restomod
05-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Have you bought a Coupe yet Steve?????

brianj5600
07-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I have a '67 and they are a car that has some strange things on them. There are several "67 only" parts. Motor mounts and some front suspension parts are unique to a '67. Some late '67 Mustang used '68 parts. There is less confusion with a 68, but if the entire suspension will be modified, it won't matter because the unibodies are the same, just make sure ALL the parts are either '67 or '68.