PDA

View Full Version : Tall Spindles... Gemoetry and Drop.

XLexusTech
07-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Upfront disclosure... I was 100% confident and had in my build plan the ATS tall spindle... I have 5 other ATS parts on the shelf for my build and love their stuff.
I had been watching all the threads about missing orders and back orders... I was stoked when speed tech took over... Until the NEW price came out, I understand the need to make money but was upset in the same breath that after all the waiting and watching for things to settle the new price made me look for options.

So I found the L&H tall spindle option,

I need to understand... when it comes to a spindle assuming you have the adjustability of coil overs. What are the pros/cons of a .75 drop offered by the ATS tall vs the 0 drop offered by the L&H.

Ascetically I favor a low ride height

LM7_67
07-17-2010, 09:11 AM
non-drop spindles will allow for more clearance around the steering arm

XLexusTech
07-17-2010, 10:06 AM
non-drop spindles will allow for more clearance around the steering arm
Which means more wheel options.. right?

RyanW
07-18-2010, 09:53 PM
The built in covette brake mounting brackets are the real benefit for me. Ive been tossing this decision around ever since the $$ increase.

L & H Kustoms
07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Which means more wheel options.. right?

On F,X body cars it does allow for more wheel options. and just thought I would let you know about our sale we have going on right now.
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70940
Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Mingus
07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I love my ATS spindles but I think the L&H are also a great choice. With coilovers I don't think the 1" difference would be an issue. They weren't being made when I bought my AFXs' or I might have gotten them since they're in Oregon. I try to spend local when I can.

67bird
07-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Not to start anything between vendors, I think price increase has to do more with the avalibility of wheel bearings than the labor involved. Go to any parts store and price out two corvette hub bearings. You will see real quick how it adds up. It didn't help when the economy tanked, as wheel bearing suppliers took a hit as well as the automakers. I was fortunate to get a set before ATS closed.

killer69
07-30-2010, 08:13 AM
i am lost.
are you guys complaining about the price of the ATS spindles?

For an F,X body the AFX spindle is 176.00 less.
For an A G B or Second gen F body with steering arms the AFX is 168.00 more
now I think the L&H is a good option if a guy already has brakes.

The price has nothing to do with the availability of the hubs, ATS actually passes on the savings of the hubs if we sold the spindles bare and you had to buy the hubs you could add 300 to the price.
the hubs are available but must be purghased in minimum quantities

Or are you questioning the quality of the part?

67bird
07-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Blake,
I think his original question was what were the pros and cons of the Speedtech slight drop (approx. 3/4") versus the L&H Customs non drop tall spindle. As far as price I ain't complaining. I have owned two sets of spindles. Both were excellant in quatlity and what I expected when they arrived. I have even considering buying a spare set. As far as the wheel bearings my comment is this. Go to and parts store and buy bearings for a stock 1969 Camaro, then have them price Corvette hub bearings. There is obviously a price difference. But you get what you pay for. I for one would rather have a maintenance free hub bearing assembly than to deal with wheel bearings. I am sure if asked you would even have customers that want the SKF bearings from Pfadt installed if they could.

Marcus SC&C
08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Strictly geometry wise the ATS spindles have better lateral roll center migration numbers than 0 drop or 2" drop spindles of the same height. The modest ATS drop wasn`t incorperated for cool looks. That said the numbers for the L&H spindles are still quite good. A 1" drop works well for most cars running 1"-1.25" performance rate drop springs, giving them just about 2" of total drop. Most folks like that and it works well with the geometry of most GM muscle cars. The AFX steering arms are raised, meaning that wheel/tie rod end clearance is not compromised. The 0" drop L&H spindles are a great option for those running 2" or more drop springs or a coil over that won`t allow anything but a low ride height. The 2" drop L&H are a great option for cars running coil overs that will coil stack at low ride height or with shock waves, allowing them to run more air pressure / more spring rate at a given final ride height. The L&H steering arms are also raised giving the 0" drop spindles excellent wheel /tie rod end clearance and the 2" better clearance than any other 2" drop spindles except DSE`s which are comparable. We carry both ATS and L&H, because each spindle configuration has it`s strong points and best suits different suspension and brake formats. Choose the one that best suits the technical requirements of your car. Mark SC&C

killer69
08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
well said Mark
form the 3rd party that knows.

XLexusTech
08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
question Answered.... Just call Marcus and he will sell you what you need ! Awesome!

Thumpin'66
09-07-2010, 07:50 PM
So if I want a stock ride height with no drop, what is the best spindle and steering arm for me?

killer69
09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
the stock one.