PDA

View Full Version : Put '68 on the lift for the 1st time & rip the...

Richz68
05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
I haven't had a chance to put the car on the lift to inspect it. the car is from North Carolina and to be honest I was a little gun-shy of what condition it would be in underneath.....

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car was actually nicer underneath than it is on most of the exposed exterior!! :icon996:

Anyway I have found that a '91-96 Caprice/Roadmaster 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt differential assembly should be the perfect width for me to use my C5 wheels. These rear ends not only have heavy duty ring gears jsua a fraction smaller than the 12 bolts; they have 30 spline axles(same as the 12 bolt) and some even have disc brakes with PBR calipers :naughty:

So tonight afer work I dropped the tank and the stock 7.5" open 10 bolt & mono springs from my car. I hope to clean it up, coat it with some POR15 and install the "wide-track" rearend along with some new leafs. :fingersx:

Take a look.....

--PICTURES-- (http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=richz260&password=74773105)

I'll keep you guys posted once I bring home the diff!

colt zantop
05-10-2005, 07:59 PM
glad to hear the underneath is better than expected. thats always a relief!!!! keep us updated!!

mdprovee
05-11-2005, 08:43 AM
It is always nice to be suprised by good news. Keep the pictures coming.

Mike

Zefhix
05-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Was the build sheet on top of the tank? :)

I haven't had a chance to put the car on the lift to inspect it. the car is from North Carolina and to be honest I was a little gun-shy of what condition it would be in underneath.....

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the car was actually nicer underneath than it is on most of the exposed exterior!! :icon996:

Anyway I have found that a '91-96 Caprice/Roadmaster 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt differential assembly should be the perfect width for me to use my C5 wheels. These rear ends not only have heavy duty ring gears jsua a fraction smaller than the 12 bolts; they have 30 spline axles(same as the 12 bolt) and some even have disc brakes with PBR calipers :naughty:

So tonight afer work I dropped the tank and the stock 7.5" open 10 bolt & mono springs from my car. I hope to clean it up, coat it with some POR15 and install the "wide-track" rearend along with some new leafs. :fingersx:

Take a look.....

--PICTURES-- (http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=richz260&password=74773105)

I'll keep you guys posted once I bring home the diff!

Richz68
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys.... no build sheet, but it was nice and clean under the trunk floor!

I will keep you all posted!

Richz68
05-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Well I got the rear end home and it is close, but I will still have to use small spacers to achieve the perfect width to fill the factory wheelwells, but I haven't rulled out mini-tubbing the car.

-- PICTURES OF THE NEW DIFF -- (http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=richz260&password=70354806)