PDA

View Full Version : turbo oil return pump

gui67
07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Hello
I have a pump for the return of oil from the turbo to the pan because the turbo is in the back.
pump from RBracing:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/oilpump_feed01-1.jpg
Is there a problem to plump the pump directly on the bottom of the turbo? I heard the pump might make vacuum in the turbo housing.
First I was planning to put a vented can between the turbo and the pump but I wonder if it is really needed or not.
What is your experience for those using a return pump?
Thanks
Guillaume

GrabberGT
07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I have no user experience but I've read somewhere that it is necessary to either let the pump run for another 30 seconds after shutdown or use a "vented can" to allow the oil to drain out so it doesnt cook inside the turbo. I do not see a can listed as a part included in the STS kits so it may not be necessary. I am interested in what you find out though as I plan on doing this myself in the future.

PhillipM
07-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Here is the oil pump page out of the STS instructions. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other sections...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/STSOilPumpMounting-1.jpg

gui67
07-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks fgor the instructions.
the pump will be just near the turbo, with a short 10-AN line, under the oil outlet level of the turbo.
Did anybody had problems or experience with vacuum being made by the pump and damaging a turbo? could it not cause damage to the bearing?

Rhino
07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
As long as your oil flow to the turbo has the ability to match or exceed the flow of your pump you will be ok.

gui67
07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
the flow to the turbo will be less then the flow of the pump.
if it is more, the turbo would fill with oil and I don't think that should happen.

PhillipM
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Hmm thats a good question. I'm sure this is all some of the reason STS makes it. Worrying about these things makes most people nervous.

cobraguy65
07-21-2010, 01:18 PM
If i read those instructions correctly, there is a 3 psi switch on the inlet of the pump. If this is for the pump relay, the pump wouldn't come on unless there is atleast 3 psi on the inlet. there would not be a vacuum on the turbo as the pump would shut off at anything lower than 3 psi. Does this sound right?

PhillipM
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Is that possibly the warning switch? I know the system has a warning to let you know if you have lost oil pressure to the turbos...

gui67
08-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Or a warning switch, in case the pump does not work, in order not to fill the turbo with oil and send it in the intake?

cobraguy65
08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Or a warning switch, in case the pump does not work, in order not to fill the turbo with oil and send it in the intake?

I think this makes the most sense. i didnt realize they had a warning light.