PDA

View Full Version : NASA Thunderhill August 21 & 22

sik68
07-15-2010, 07:57 AM
I just signed up for Group 2. A bit more pricey than my first NCRC shindig, but I couldn't pass up two full days. I know there's already a few of us that have talked about it, so let's represent.

Pricing varies depending on your group, but it is approx 180 for single day and 300 for both.

Looks like I'm going to need a tent and an air mattress! Fun stuff.

-Steven

garner67
07-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Nice to see you're hooked!

asifnyc
07-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll be there. I also posted video of my latest trackday in the multi-media section.

Gitter Dun
07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
See you guys there, I'll be running Time Trials Unlimited group on Saturday.

sevillaz28
07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm in. I signed up for Sat. See you all there. That is, if my car survives me on the 31st.

Rod
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I just signed up for Group 2. A bit more pricey than my first NCRC shindig, but I couldn't pass up two full days. I know there's already a few of us that have talked about it, so let's represent.

Pricing varies depending on your group, but it is approx 180 for single day and 300 for both.

Looks like I'm going to need a tent and an air mattress! Fun stuff.

-Steven

Is this one through NASA not HOD? sounds fun whats the track time and instruction like? are the instructors with you the whole time? 180 sounds cheap! would be awesome to hang with other pro-tour bros and trash some track

Rod
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
bump!:cheers:

Gitter Dun
08-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Rod, you can find all the info you need at NASAPRO-RACING.COM

Check out the HPDE program.

SIK02SS
08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Waiting to hear back from Jerry, but I may be there in TTS, ST2, and PT sat and sun

SIK02SS
08-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Scratch the maybe, I'll be there. Qualifying for Nat's all in one weekend

I have a white rear bumper on the car, and there will be another yellow C5 there with a black bumper. We'll probably be next to each other. Hope to finally meet some of you guys!

sik68
08-17-2010, 12:16 PM
This is going to be a good one! I am going to arrive Friday night around 9pm and tent-camp for the weekend. I'll try to save some paddock space if you want to group up. Anyone else getting there earlier?

Anyone know when gates close at night? EDIT: Thunderhill says they close at 12

SIK02SS
08-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I'll be there between 630-7pm friday. I'll talk to my other friends who're going to see when they'll be arriving

Gitter Dun
08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I will be there Friday as well, going to run with Track Masters to test new suspension tune

asifnyc
08-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Steven if you are able to save me a paddock spot please do! I'll be there Sat. 7am 'ish...

sik68
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Steven if you are able to save me a paddock spot please do! I'll be there Sat. 7am 'ish...

Will Do! You're looking for a primer grey beauty....hopefully parked near Chris, Gaetano, and Sevillaz28. At 7am I might be over getting tech'ed though. $40 bucks for an unavoidable late-tech fee :nopity:

Asif, what run group are you in?

87 deg on Saturday and Sunday, you can't ask for much better than that in the middle of August!

-Steven

SIK02SS
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
That's okay, I have an $80 tech fee :o

Gitter Dun
08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
That's okay, I have an $80 tech fee :o

I'm gettin' a free-bee ;) Helps to know peoples, lol.

asifnyc
08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Steven :twothumbs
I should be able to find you... I've watched your videos and I know Gaetano and the orange beast!

I'm in HPDE 3. This will be my 5th time to Thill this year but I've never done the turn 5 bypass. maybe I can get a ride and you can show me what we're supposed to do with that turn...

Gitter Dun
08-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Will Do! You're looking for a primer grey beauty....hopefully parked near Chris, Gaetano, and Sevillaz28. At 7am I might be over getting tech'ed though. $40 bucks for an unavoidable late-tech fee :nopity:

Asif, what run group are you in?

87 deg on Saturday and Sunday, you can't ask for much better than that in the middle of August!

-Steven

Wow, 87 degrees, sounds great. I will be parking with the Time Trial group. Take a look at NASA padduck map and you will see where we are parking. Try and park near by. Its been awhile since I've run with these guys but its looks like a few of the guys I used to run with are still around. I'd like to introduce you guys to them and also if my old instructor Albert Butterfield is around I'd like to introduce you guys to him as well. He is the instructor for HPDE 4 and Time Trials.

asifnyc
08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
actually, what are people doing for dinner friday night? thinking of leaving work earlier to get there maybe 5pm...

Gitter Dun
08-18-2010, 07:51 PM
actually, what are people doing for dinner friday night? thinking of leaving work earlier to get there maybe 5pm...

I'm waiting for a call from Doug at Track masters to see if he will allow me to run the last few sessions with them on Friday due to there being a stand by list for cancellations right now.

If I dont hear from him I may not be there till Saturday morning.

I'll keep you posted.

SIK02SS
08-19-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm gettin' a free-bee ;) Helps to know peoples, lol.

Damnit!! :lol:

I know Alan through another forum, but apparently not well enough :o

my yellow vette friend's birthday, so a few of us are probably going to the mexican restaurant

sik68
08-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks Steven :twothumbs
I should be able to find you... I've watched your videos and I know Gaetano and the orange beast!

I'm in HPDE 3. This will be my 5th time to Thill this year but I've never done the turn 5 bypass. maybe I can get a ride and you can show me what we're supposed to do with that turn...

Rides? No problem! Not sure if I'm the best guy to get advice from though. There are race groups between the HPDE groups so that will make it easy; no hot seating. Since you're in group 3 maybe I can carpool with you for a run.

Gitter Dun
08-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Dream Speed Motors once again knocks one out of the park with some changes to my rear suspension. Thanks guy's, you made my car so much funner to drive.

Asif, good seeing you again, Steven, hope you make it to Buttonwillow, Sevilla, third time's a charm, lol, siko2ss, or was it curtiss? nice to finally meet you.

Vince, Allen, and Brian, Thanks for the trackside support and hanging out.
Here's a couple of pic's...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/_OP_26871-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/_OP_29271-1.jpg

Gitter Dun
08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Couple more pic's.....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/_OP_40991-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/_OP_39711-1.jpg

SIK02SS
08-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Wait, we talked today? :o

Sorry, I've had a hellacious day with my crappy tires, 3 back to back run groups, and trying to figure out my shock settings for the bypass...which I caught air on my 2nd lap, 1st time through this config. yikes

Gitter Dun
08-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Wait, we talked today? :o

Sorry, I've had a hellacious day with my crappy tires, 3 back to back run groups, and trying to figure out my shock settings for the bypass...which I caught air on my 2nd lap, 1st time through this config. yikes

LOL, I thought he said it was you, dam, I hate when I do that. Tall, skinny dude with a hat. Did you see him? Maybe it was Curtiss. If it was, sorry Curtis, when you intruduced yourself al I remember hearing was ss.

I dont remember seeing your white vette, but your buddy in the yellow vette was fast. My msd box went out after my second session so we watched you guys for awhile.

sevillaz28
08-22-2010, 06:11 PM
It was cool meeting a few more PT guys. Don't ask me who exactly but I do remember the cars. Any way, Got shot down by NASA Tech for the cage not having front or rear support and the sub belt not bolted in. So needless to say no run time for me.

Dream Speed, you guys did a great job on Gaetanos car and I'm thinking I want you to do the same rear brackets on mine and some other stuff.

I WILL be on the track on the 25th in Buttonwillow, its time to have fun.

Gitter Dun
08-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Sevilla, thanks for finding the problem and helping me fix my car, turns out wasn't a bad MSD box but a cracked spark plug. Oh, and thanks for the new MSD box and coil, guess the old ones can be spares now.

Here's a good pic showing the rear suspension magic
Dream Speed Motors laid on my car......

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MrQuick
08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
...now for the fronts....muuuhaaaahaaaaahaa haa

sure John, shoot me an email and I'll get a $ quote for you. Good meeting you too.

Vince

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
LOL, I thought he said it was you, dam, I hate when I do that. Tall, skinny dude with a hat. Did you see him? Maybe it was Curtiss. If it was, sorry Curtis, when you intruduced yourself al I remember hearing was ss.

I dont remember seeing your white vette, but your buddy in the yellow vette was fast. My msd box went out after my second session so we watched you guys for awhile.

<---- tall, skinny, had a hat, but I think it was Curtiss not me :cheers:

I was so busy chasing my own tail on Saturday with 3 run groups I didn't have any time besides setting tire pressures, strapping in, heading out, coming back in, getting water, re-setting tires, adjusting shocks, heading back out, repeat :lol:

But your car looked and sounded great out there :cheers:

Oh, my vette is yellow too, just has a white rear bumper (for now), while his rear bumper is black.

It's too bad you weren't there for Sunday, we had the race of the day in Group A ST2 class. I ran a 1:59.11 in Sundays ST2 race running my friend and a RX7 down (on some very tired Hoosiers), and on the last lap I made a pass for 2nd in turn 9 on the RX7 and was setting up my friend in turn 11/12/13 when the RX7 decided to punt me in the transition from 12 to 13. So I finished 3rd due to his douche-baggery-ness :nopity:

I'll have video up later :)

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 09:12 AM
1:59, thats sweet!! I qualified a 2:08 1st session which put me in 10th position, when I lined up for 2nd session I looked at my gas gauge and it was empty. I had to pull out of line, filled up, then got behind a bunch of slow cars and only got a 2:10 best. Third session my engine was mis-firing, thought it was MSD box, turned out to be cracked spark plug but didn,t find it till I got home. Missed last two sessions.

John Wright
08-23-2010, 09:16 AM
GC,
Hows the power with that new engine...still pulling strong?

sik68
08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
It was great meeting all you guys. I'll post videos later as well.

I had a couple potentially dangerous mechanical issues this weekend that have opened my eyes even further to the level of preparation that is needed when tracking an old car. Vibration is absolutely a killer on a car's fasteners.

1) The small bolts on the mechanical fuel pump that sandwich the halves together, loosened up to the point that I was gushing fuel out of the pump like an cut artery. Asif and I felt and smelled it out of turn 2, and limped the car around the whole track. I lost multiple gallons of fuel in a matter of minutes. Thank God, could have been way worse.

2) There are ~6 philips screws that attach the carb baseplate to the carb body from the underside...they were WAY loose to the point that the body of the carb was wiggling on the engine. I don't know how close I was to having one of them drop, blowing up my motor. Luckily it was diagnosed pre-emptively as a terrible vacuum leak. Thank God, could have been way worse.

Besides those, my valve lash is way off, my clutch release is clunky, the car has many more creaks and rattles, and I am cooking the oil after every weekend (oil cooler time).

I've learned there's no shame in trailering a car. If you're going to track it, be prepared. I was very fortunate this weekend that my problems were fixable, but I'm done playing track roulette.

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM

I had a couple potentially dangerous mechanical issues this weekend that have opened my eyes even further to the level of preparation that is needed when tracking an old car. Vibration is absolutely a killer on a car's fasteners.

1) The small bolts on the mechanical fuel pump that sandwich the halves together, loosened up to the point that I was gushing fuel out of the pump like an cut artery. Asif and I felt and smelled it out of turn 2, and limped the car around the whole track. I lost multiple gallons of fuel in a matter of minutes. Thank God, could have been way worse.

2) There are ~6 philips screws that attach the carb baseplate to the carb body...they were WAY loose to the point that the body of the carb was wiggling on the engine. I don't know how close I was to having one of them drop, blowing up my engine. Luckily it was diagnosed beforehand as a terrible vacuum leak. Thank God, could have been way worse.

Besides those, my valve lash is way off, my clutch release is clunky, the car has many more creaks and rattles, and I am cooking the oil after every weekend (oil cooler time).

I've learned there's no shame in trailering a car. If you're going to track it, be prepared.

Good lessons learned indeed, and I'm glad to hear nothing serious happened in result! Even in newer cars vibration can be a deal breaker on track. lots of lock washers/fasteners/nord locks/safety wire are in use on my car

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
1:59, thats sweet!! I qualified a 2:08 1st session which put me in 10th position, when I lined up for 2nd session I looked at my gas gauge and it was empty. I had to pull out of line, filled up, then got behind a bunch of slow cars and only got a 2:10 best. Third session my engine was mis-firing, thought it was MSD box, turned out to be cracked spark plug but didn,t find it till I got home. Missed last two sessions.

When I had my R888's on (all day Sat) I was running 2:08-2:10s. That's a very scary ride on non-R-comps in my car, I could only imagine being in your car turning those times! Nicely done!! :cheers:

sik68
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM
As far as lap times go, after skimming all my video from 7 sessions I got 1 whole lap without traffic, scoring a 2:20. Decent for 280 treadwear! I know I could dip into the 'teens being more aggressive on the throttle and without a passenger. And about a zillion other areas for improvement.

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 10:18 AM

2) There are ~6 philips screws that attach the carb baseplate to the carb body from the underside...they were WAY loose to the point that the body of the carb was wiggling on the engine. I don't know how close I was to having one of them drop, blowing up my motor. Luckily it was diagnosed pre-emptively as a terrible vacuum leak. Thank God, could have been way worse.

I've learned there's no shame in trailering a car. If you're going to track it, be prepared. I was very fortunate this weekend that my problems were fixable, but I'm done playing track roulette.

You learn that it get expensive real fast without it. i had to tow my car from Infinion a few times.

I saw your car there but you might have been busy or in your tent.

Let me know if you need any help.

Vince

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 10:20 AM
When I had my R888's on (all day Sat) I was running 2:08-2:10s. That's a very scary ride on non-R-comps in my car, I could only imagine being in your car turning those times! Nicely done!! :cheers:
that was your T1 vette? very nice. My buddy Brian was drooling all over it.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40070&stc=1&d=1282589543

Vince

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
GC,
very strong before the misfires started.

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 10:40 AM

Damn, Hoosiers are that much faster???!!! Thats 8 sec's I could pick up with Hoosiers???!!!

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 10:55 AM
GC,

Thought it would be intimidating but isn't. Also, the guy's at Dream Speed Motors are friken awesome!! My car handles so much better. It is fun as hell to drive!!!

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 10:56 AM
I wish we would have pulled the plugs then but #5 on 700 degree headers is a beotch.....next time i'll bring my ove gloves. LOL

Vince

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
that was your T1 vette? very nice. My buddy Brian was drooling all over it.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40070&stc=1&d=1282589543

Vince

Yup, that's me! Rattle can pass side and all :lol: and Thanks! She goes in for paint and new vinyl this week. Maybe soon I can save the coin to get a full enclosure race seat and move my current seat to the passenger side, then I could scare the piss out of some poor volunteers :fingersx:

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Damn, Hoosiers are that much faster???!!! Thats 8 sec's I could pick up with Hoosiers???!!!

I don't know about that much...but yes, they are worth quite a bit more time (Hoosier A6, not R6). the previous weekend in Utah I was turning 1:49's on the 'East Track' with the 888's, I put the Hoosiers on and ran :44's. I honestly don't trust the 888's AT ALL. Nitto NT-01's are a much better (and cheaper) tire. The 888's make a lot of noise all the time, fast or slow, and when they break loose, you better have some very fast hands or else you're going off track or spinning (I've spun/gone off track more times in the past 2 weeks on them then I have in the past 3 years put together). So long story short, I probably could have dipped into the :05 range if I pushed them harder, but it's hard to push a car hard when you don't trust or have confidence in your tires :\

sik68
08-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Gaetano, have you weighed your car yet?

My car this weekend, full of fuel:

Without Driver: 3098 lbs, 56.0% front, 50.7% left
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/IMG_1595-1.jpg

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Gaetano, have you weighed your car yet?

My car this weekend, full of fuel:

Without Driver: 3098 lbs, 56.0% front, 50.7% left
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/IMG_1595-1.jpg

That's not bad at all! :cheers: Do you have coilovers?

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, thats light. I was at 3052 lbs without driver and fuel tank empty. My cross bias was 50/50, Vince is going to have to chime in on the other details.

No coil overs.

Dreamspeed
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey Gaetano, too bad for the spark plug issue but its good to see your loving the improvements. Lets get some Hoosier A6's on there along with our next round of improvements and see what she'll do.
and no coil-overs yet?!?! hehe jk
Nice driving Chris and good luck with your points run.
Yeah,like Vince says:drool:, I was going through some serious withdrawals seeing your Vette race around the track Saturday. I really miss my 02 Z, but we're working to get Gaetano's car there and we have three other cars in the works so I should be getting some track time soon. cant wait!

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey Gaetano, too bad for the spark plug issue but its good to see your loving the improvements. Lets get some Hoosier A6's on there along with our next round of improvements and see what she'll do.
and no coil-overs yet?!?! hehe jk
Nice driving Chris and good luck with your points run.
Yeah,like Vince says:drool:, I was going through some serious withdrawals seeing your Vette race around the track Saturday. I really miss my 02 Z, but we're working to get Gaetano's car there and we have three other cars in the works so I should be getting some track time soon. cant wait!

Thank you! The few brief minutes I got watch on Saturday morn Gaetano was moving..and his time shows it! Some Hoosier A's would really wake the car up through the corners. Just look at the bright side, being at the track is half the battle...but it's also the cheaper one!!!

sik68
08-23-2010, 03:34 PM
That's not bad at all! :cheers: Do you have coilovers?

Nope! Global West arms and conventional springs. I'd like to get some weight out of the nose. I think the Ron Davis radiator w/ an ungodly amount of fluid really packs on the pounds. I need to trunk-mount the battery as well.

I'll wait to see what Dream Speed does for GC's car...I may just have to send my car in for some of this hocus pocus suspension magic.

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Thank you! The few brief minutes I got watch on Saturday morn Gaetano was moving..and his time shows it! Some Hoosier A's would really wake the car up through the corners. Just look at the bright side, being at the track is half the battle...but it's also the cheaper one!!!

How many heat cycles are you getting out of your Hoosiers?

Why A6's and not R6's?

Can I order them pre-heat cycled?

Is there a bank you know of that would be easy to rob, LOL:wasntme:

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Why A6's and not R6's?

Headed out now, will answer later though..

video finally uploaded/processed: http://vimeo.com/14371839

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, thats light. I was at 3052 lbs without driver and fuel tank empty. My cross bias was 50/50, Vince is going to have to chime in on the other details.

No coil overs.

Weights:
Left front 835 Right front 828
Left rear 705 Right rear 685
Front 1539
Rear 1388
total 3051 cross 1530 50.2%

love to see what we can do with a lighter and adjustable suspension but for now we'll just get some better shocks and a new set of front springs. Starting the front suspension work next week. Then we'll try to lose 50lbs.

Let me know Steven, we are not too far.

Vince

mdprovee
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I will have to get down and see your shop Vince.

Maybe in the next couple of weeks.

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Headed out now, will answer later though..

video finally uploaded/processed: http://vimeo.com/14371839
great video Chris, that sucks about the spin....last lap and may have been revenge for the previous love tap.

Vince

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 06:09 PM
I will have to get down and see your shop Vince.

Maybe in the next couple of weeks.
yeah, come out and see the 2 ring circus we have going on. Haaa haaa, just a bit different from the last shop.

http://dreamspeedmotors.com/

Gitter Dun
08-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Dam Chris, that guy bumped you into a spin? I would'a had someone's ass. Although It looked like you may have tapped him a bit earlier. I watched that whole race, that was some great driving.

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Nope! Global West arms and conventional springs. I'd like to get some weight out of the nose. I think the Ron Davis radiator w/ an ungodly amount of fluid really packs on the pounds. I need to trunk-mount the battery as well.

I'll wait to see what Dream Speed does for GC's car...I may just have to send my car in for some of this hocus pocus suspension magic.

Not sure how much weight you'll be able to get off the nose with (i assume) an iron block motor :\

But getting a good neutral setup with a corner weight will make a night and day difference for sure!

asifnyc
08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
had a blast as usual. great to see/meet everyone. my next track day is Nov. 1 at Laguna Seca! but, I'm turning my attention from my yellow Javelin and focusing on my American Iron Javelin build! Here's a pic from Sat. morning...

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Why A6's and not R6's?

The Hoosier A's I'll run down until they look like a slick..which takes probably about 8-10 heat cycles. Towards the end of their life they get a little slippery, but they are still very predictable and still slightly faster than the R's.

The R6's IMO are a terrible tire (although better than the 888's). They are not very predictable, and after about 3 heat cycles they just fall off considerably after each session. Their lateral grip is no where near the A6's, and the A6's can take more heat cycles than the R6's. Super budget people will use the R6's because the tread will last most the year for the average HPDE'r, but the grip/heat cycle/tread life doesn't all add up. They heat cycle out way faster than the tread wears down

Tire Rack well sell them heat cycled (both A6 and R6)...but I wouldn't spend the money on it. The A6's are their absolute fastest as a fresh sticker tire with no heat cycles.

I used to! But about 8 years ago they re-did most of their security :help!:

great video Chris, that sucks about the spin....last lap and may have been revenge for the previous love tap.

Vince

Thanks Vince, it was a lot of fun! even though it didn't end the way I wanted...Yaaa, I think it was. So I talked to him after words :D He was a tough guy behind the wheel, but I don't think anyones every approached him after a race. When he checked up in turn 7 I thought he was going to stay left so I went high right to shut the door on him, until he came high (he was very unpredictable the last lap) and swiped my nose from the side to the front. In the race though, I did think I tapped him..but after looking at my bumper, I just had no where to go when he came across me. His tap-back was a bit harder too :o He had no race craft though, he should have been watching the track ahead and not the bumper ahead..which is how I went by :)

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Dam Chris, that guy bumped you into a spin? I would'a had someone's ass. Although It looked like you may have tapped him a bit earlier. I watched that whole race, that was some great driving.

Haha, thanks..ya. I explained in the post above. Mine was at least on accident with no where to go, so I have a clear conscience. Even better, I get to see him again next month in Utah, I guess a little :spank2: will be in order ;)

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Vince, that 2 tone 67 camaro on your site looks great!

MrQuick
08-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Vince, that 2 tone 67 camaro on your site looks great!
sure does, that is Mike's car...https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=711229&postcount=55
He was our first customer in our old shop and we did his rear suspension and mini tub a few years back. Gearhead garage in Sacramento built the rest of the car. They did a fantastic job.

We are hoping to get him back for a track pak prep and tune. :fingersx:

vince

SIK02SS
08-23-2010, 08:11 PM
sure does, that is Mike's car...https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=711229&postcount=55
He was our first customer in our old shop and we did his rear suspension and mini tub a few years back. Gearhead garage in Sacramento built the rest of the car. They did a fantastic job.

We are hoping to get him back for a track pak prep and tune. :fingersx:

vince

Ahh, nice :cheers: In that case, yes I agree, he needs to go back and get a proper setup on the car and go have some fun!

sevillaz28
08-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Sevilla, thanks for finding the problem and helping me fix my car, turns out wasn't a bad MSD box but a cracked spark plug. Oh, and thanks for the new MSD box and coil, guess the old ones can be spares now.

Here's a good pic showing the rear suspension magic
Dream Speed Motors laid on my car......

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/08/_OP_39111-1.jpg

No Problem, allways happy to help. So me being as impatient as I can be, Cut the cage out of my car and doing the changes NASA wanted me to. Also doing a few other little things since I have the time.

I look forward to chasing you or ( you chasing me):fingersx:around the track when I get in your class.

sik68
08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
No Problem, allways happy to help. So me being as impatient as I can be, Cut the cage out of my car and doing the changes NASA wanted me to. Also doing a few other little things since I have the time.

I look forward to chasing you or ( you chasing me):fingersx:around the track when I get in your class.

Man I was bummed when I saw your discussion with tech. I hope NASA is not just going to pocket your money from Saturday?

-Steven

PS, actually I think it wasn't a bellhousing I sold you, but maybe my stock suspension components? You told me at the time you said global west upper arms take a crapload of shims to get aligned well. Ha, you were right, I have a crapload of shims.

CurtiSS 69
08-24-2010, 07:36 AM
As far as lap times go, after skimming all my video from 7 sessions I got 1 whole lap without traffic, scoring a 2:20. Decent for 280 treadwear! I know I could dip into the 'teens being more aggressive on the throttle and without a passenger. And about a zillion other areas for improvement.

A 2:20 on 280 TW street tires.....WOW! That's impressive. Great driving Steven. The corner weights look good to. It looks like you picked the right diet for the car as well.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

sik68
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Ok, here's some video...more to come.

Aw65EyWWXc4&hd=1

Gitter Dun
08-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Great vid Steven, let me know about Buttonwillow, if you have something to tow with I might be able to get you a trailor.

sevillaz28
08-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Man I was bummed when I saw your discussion with tech. I hope NASA is not just going to pocket your money from Saturday?

-Steven

PS, actually I think it wasn't a bellhousing I sold you, but maybe my stock suspension components? You told me at the time you said global west upper arms take a crapload of shims to get aligned well. Ha, you were right, I have a crapload of shims.

Nice vid Steven. If I ever get on the track I may have one to.

Hey. It was stock suspension parts. I needed a-arms and springs for my 67 that I built and have since sold.

NASA Rocks. I will be recieving a full refund.

I have to clean up all of the welds where I cut out the roll bar, move it back and put in two down tubes and see how the next tech inspection goes:fingersx:

sik68
08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Great vid Steven, let me know about Buttonwillow, if you have something to tow with I might be able to get you a trailor.

Thanks Gaetano! I need to do some work on my grandpa's '91 Dodge diesel truck to get it towing worthy again... I could rent a uhaul trailer no problem for my next few outings before buying one. I now have a list a mile long of things to do on my Camaro. Mostly my concern is persistant low oil pressure, even on idle and cruise with fresh oil. It looked ever so slightly milky when I drained it at the track....maybe my heads need to be retorqued. Going to call Rex Hutchison ASAP. Ran a magnet through the drain pan and no trace of any metal...so that's a good start.

Let me know about your bank plans. If we get away clean I'm going to put a sponsorship sticker on my car "Bank of America" or something, hehe.

Gitter Dun
08-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Once you get your engine woes figured out you should work on lowering your car. I have a set of front springs I can give that you can try out. If you like them their yours. I'll bring them to Buttonwillow.

sevillaz28
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks Gaetano! I need to do some work on my grandpa's '91 Dodge diesel truck to get it towing worthy again... I could rent a uhaul trailer no problem for my next few outings before buying one. I now have a list a mile long of things to do on my Camaro. Mostly my concern is persistant low oil pressure, even on idle and cruise with fresh oil. It looked ever so slightly milky when I drained it at the track....maybe my heads need to be retorqued. Going to call Rex Hutchison ASAP. Ran a magnet through the drain pan and no trace of any metal...so that's a good start.

Let me know about your bank plans. If we get away clean I'm going to put a sponsorship sticker on my car "Bank of America" or something, hehe.

Let me know if you need anything. I have a ton of small block parts and suspension parts to.

MrQuick
08-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Once you get your engine woes figured out you should work on lowering your car. I have a set of front springs I can give that you can try out. If you like them their yours. I'll bring them to Buttonwillow.
speaking of springs we need to get yours set up now that we know the weights.
I'll pull your spindles off and weigh the whole set up. Have to pull it all off to do the LCA's and 2" down bars anyways.

Vince

Gitter Dun
08-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Front sticks well now, hard to imagine it getting any better. I'll see you on Saturday, cant wait to hear what you have in mind.

asifnyc
08-25-2010, 01:06 PM
finally got my first video of the weekend together. it's the fastest lap I was able to do, 2:18.6. looking at the video I think I should have gone even faster as I had a bit of traffic to deal with.

XczuphzEdW4

Gitter Dun
08-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Great vid, How did you get the track map, mph, and g's on there?

asifnyc
08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
with my new racechrono GPS lap timer :)

http://roostindustries.com/gps_lap_timers.php

Gitter Dun
08-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Wow, very cool!! So many toys, so little green, Aaauuugh!!!:hammer:

sevillaz28
08-25-2010, 05:26 PM
finally got my first video of the weekend together. it's the fastest lap I was able to do, 2:18.6. looking at the video I think I should have gone even faster as I had a bit of traffic to deal with.

XczuphzEdW4

That is so cool with GPS. Great vid

sik68
08-25-2010, 08:04 PM
That makes me want that gps soo bad. Can't wait to see more. Those group 3 guys look like a lot of fun to go with.

Here's a short clip with Asif riding passenger. This is a fun one to watch...fun for me at least

bvyYuN75H64

asifnyc
08-25-2010, 08:30 PM
yeah, that was a fun ride. wish the fuel pump hadn't cut it short. I also wish I had more motor like your camaro! btw, is the audio from the camera or from the voice recorder you had zip tied to the dash?

MrQuick
08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
That makes me want that gps soo bad. Can't wait to see more. Those group 3 guys look like a lot of fun to go with.

Here's a short clip with Asif riding passenger. This is a fun one to watch...fun for me at least

bvyYuN75H64

Steven, if you ever come in im gonna make you an aluminum oh shhet bar. LOL...save that poor dash

Great vid guys, Asif, what did that program cost....Im gonna have to run that by my IT guy.

I know what happened...you went through 8-9 then 1 so fast that even your fuel pump wanted out. LOL just kidding.

Vince

SIK02SS
08-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Ok, here's some video...more to come.

Aw65EyWWXc4&hd=1

Nice!

XczuphzEdW4

Very nice. Your speed is good and lines are pretty good. Use more track and carry more speed and that time will drop fast!!

SIK02SS
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Steven, if you ever come in im gonna make you an aluminum oh shhet bar. LOL...save that poor dash

Great vid guys, Asif, what did that program cost....Im gonna have to run that by my IT guy.

I know what happened...you went through 8-9 then 1 so fast that even your fuel pump wanted out. LOL just kidding.

Vince

That's what I was thinking, poor dash pad :lol:

SIK02SS
08-26-2010, 08:28 AM

bvyYuN75H64

nice save in 9 and great speed through 8 :)

CurtiSS 69
08-26-2010, 10:27 AM
with my new racechrono GPS lap timer :)

http://roostindustries.com/gps_lap_timers.php

Very Cool! Thanks for the info and sharing your great lap. Teen's with a fairly stock AMX...Great Job! It was really fun seeing it out there on the track, and I can't wait to see your American Iron Javlin out there in competition!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

CurtiSS 69
08-26-2010, 10:37 AM

bvyYuN75H64

...You aren't the only one. I Love It! You guy's really had some fun!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

sik68
08-27-2010, 11:06 AM
OK one last video. Not running as fast here as I was towards the end of the weekend, but still had a lot of fun in the last minute, where I was catching a 997 911 Turbo

IU-qQROtDuc

MrQuick
08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
love that instructor.....4:20 "YEAH GO GO WHOOOO HOOOO HAAAA!!!"

You got your front suspension nailed brother!

asifnyc
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
finally put together my "music video" for the weekend... :git:

_s78GtAGV4U

MrQuick
09-08-2010, 10:21 PM
that was sick Asif...

you know with the music cranked up, the vid on wide screen and the sun flash scene changes I started to trip a bit...you know, like back in the 80's when the good stuff came in brown baggies...far out man.

John Wright
09-09-2010, 04:48 AM
:git:

I thought this^^^ lil guy was keeping pretty good time with the music in the vid....LOL

Looks like a good time.....

MrQuick
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
here it is

firebob
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM
AWESOME VIDS!!!!!!! Looks like you guys had a great time. I can't wait for summer to get here. I'm shooting for May before it gets too hot up there.

Robert

Gitter Dun
01-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Keep us posted Robert and if you want to save some money Go to the NCRC site.(Northern California Racing Club)

firebob
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm kinda torn because NCRC is probably the best bang for the buck but I have good friends that run NASA so it'll just depend on how the time factor works out. I'll definitely post up when the time comes.

Robert

Flash68
01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Glad this thread is back up top.... this is great prep and inspiration for T-Hill in 2 weeks! Lovin the vids posted.

And that GPS program you have Asif is pretty killer.

asifnyc
01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
the program that does the video overlay is free. someone wrote it a couple of years ago to work with the racechrono lap timer. you have to manually sync it to the video so it's really a poor mans version of something like Smartycam...

btw, the race Javelin is painted (picking it up tomorrow) and I'll be running it at Infineon THIS Friday from 1pm - 4pm if anyone's in the area and wants to come by. It's an Infineon open test session for competition cars... here's a teaser pic.