PDA

View Full Version : Back from the dead w 72 Blazer INSANE

Madspeed
07-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Hello fellers. I been away for a few years ( my camaro is still in storage =( )
Anywho I have a 1972 Chev blazer i tossed a duramax into with twin turbos. I need some help to design a simple effective traction device for the rear as I drag race it on 37's ( I know Im an idiot but) it runs 12.80s @ 104 and I know I can run 11's I built my own cal tracs and the have so much anti squat that they actually cause the truck to get air under 3 tires at once. Im thinking of removing them and putting one upper link. My question is how far downward should I point the front and should I point it downwards at all. im afraid it will cause antisquat too if it points down to far. I launch in 4WD my 60' times are 1.8 right now and I think I can get 1.7 or possebly a 1.6
This truck runs on a 6 inch lift and its all spring no blocks BTW. I have a crappy vid of a couple quick boosted launches if needed
I might get some vid of a full pass this friday. Lemme Know fellers

ArtosDracon
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Look into what the stock suspension mud bog guys use. They use a specially designed torque link with leafs that allow them to plant well on dirt and mud, so I'm sure it would work at the track, and they're all running 800HP+ engines and big tires, seems like it would fit the bill perfectly.

Bryce
07-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Hmm.... Im in the same situation with my 65 mustang drag car. Im running a 1.7sec 60ft time with only 300hp. With slapper bars it launches with the front wheels off the ground. But it has too much A/S. Im going all the way and designing a bolt in 4-link.

i also designed an excel spread sheet that solves the link locations based on desired A/S and IC.

My top bar is relatively horizontal through the range of 95% to 150% A/S.

There are a ton of calculators on the web, Billy Shope come to mind first, that will calculate A/S with your geometry.

Good luck!

Madspeed
07-15-2010, 01:56 PM
By Golly if you two fookers aint just the smartest lil fellers. DAM good thought with the mud boggers wtf didnt I think of that=) and thanks for the info on the geometry programs bud im ga look. Ill post a video later tonight for you fellers to laugh at :smoke:\
Umm i think i found it? http://www.racetec.cc/shope/

Skip Fix
07-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Might look at copying the old Mopar Super Stock springs. Tri City makes some for other makes. They were the big thing the stocker racers used before CalTracs came out.My TA would get 1.5 60 fts with them and no other traction aids.

MonzaRacer
07-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Heck just order up some leaf spring clamps, then on main leaf side get some heavy wall pipe and cut it in half, same width as spring.
Then mill a horizontal groove for 3/8 x 1 in bar stock and place them about 1/2in to 1 in behind each leaf end, weld in place to make it solid.
place these in front of axle use ubolts to attatch them at each leaf end, remove ubolts as needed for tuning, starting on right side first.
These will also make it ride stiffer so you may want to amke them removeable.