PDA

View Full Version : So tired of dealing with body shops

MikeDVC
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Just trying to get an estimate for a re-paint seems nearly impossible, let alone getting someone to actually do some work. Broken appointments, no return calls.

Anyone know of a respectable body shop in / near Maryland that will paint my Camaro?

Mike

MuscleRodz
07-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Just trying to get an estimate for a re-paint seems nearly impossible, let alone getting someone to actually do some work. Broken appointments, no return calls.

Anyone know of a respectable body shop in / near Maryland that will paint my Camaro?

Mike

Competition Specialties in Mass

G Force design in PA

both very respectable shops I know in your area

MikeDVC
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Competition Specialties in Mass

G Force design in PA

both very respectable shops I know in your area

Forgot about G-Force; I went to their open house last year. I'll call them, thanks

CamaroAJ
07-14-2010, 12:32 PM
the problem with most body shops is they are production based. most don't want to, will just flat tell you no or make the price so high you won't take it there because they don't want to do it. they won't make enough money on your car to waste their time with it. at least thats the problem i have seen around here with friends that want their car painted. someone that like g-force and the like that specialize in that type of work are about your best bet and they will take the time to do it right insted of just knock it out or hold it in paint prision.

MikeDVC
07-14-2010, 01:03 PM
the problem with most body shops is they are production based. most don't want to, will just flat tell you no or make the price so high you won't take it there because they don't want to do it. they won't make enough money on your car to waste their time with it. at least thats the problem i have seen around here with friends that want their car painted. someone that like g-force and the like that specialize in that type of work are about your best bet and they will take the time to do it right insted of just knock it out or hold it in paint prision.

I agree; auto body insurance work is cleaner, quicker turn around and more profitable. The body shop that does my daily driver work told me they would do it, but only work on it between other work..basically it would be the lowest priority. Said it could take 1 - 2 years to do.

Rod
07-22-2010, 09:46 PM
it could take 1 - 2 years to do.

WHAT!! yes the cost is usually high, but there's about $1500-2500 in supplies $1000 for Soda blast, and around $5500 in labor (about 150 hours, 2 guys) for body work and disassemble and reassembly, and then shop markup (different for each shop), but its around 1-2 months for the job, after that the project is a loss? and always be prepared for a possibility big panel replacement after soda blast (floor, firewall or quarters), if they say 1-2 years you can take a autobody class for a few semesters and do it yourself! a good option and a new skill hope that helps the quote processes

Pinstripe Chris
07-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Hey dude, what part of maryland are you in? I've worked with a bunch of hot rod/restoration places doing airbrushing and pinstriping, maybe i can point you in a direction

MikeDVC
08-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for everyone's input, I found the right shop to do the body work and paint.

MuscleRodz
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks for everyone's input, I found the right shop to do the body work and paint.

so who did you pick?

MikeDVC
08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
so who did you pick?

I'm very excited to say that my car will be going to G-Force Design in early 2011. I am very impressed with John, Jason and the rest of the crew; and looking forward to having the work done there.

Thanks for posting them as a suggestion,

Mike

ProdigyCustoms
08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Your in very good hands.

MuscleRodz
08-09-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm very excited to say that my car will be going to G-Force Design in early 2011. I am very impressed with John, Jason and the rest of the crew; and looking forward to having the work done there.

Thanks for posting them as a suggestion,

Mike

Good to hear, you will be happy