PDA

View Full Version : A report on newbies basic mods to a 67 GTO....

Blue67gto
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
So I have a 67 Pontiac gto. It is a major project and I am building it in stages. I want one of those Schwartz perfomance chassis, but since they are more than I paid for the car they are out of the running for now. First was get it running and driving in stock form. What a slug! Damn thing was dragging the door handles around every corner!
Now that I have worked out some drive-ability bugs. I wanted to rebuild the suspension. This is in no way going to be the last mods I do. Just what I have done so far. I plan to save up for a schwartz chassis, but I couldn't drive it the way it was. and I wanted to enjoy it while working on it.

Here is the list of parts so far...

stock front disk conversion
2 inch lowering springs all around
1.25 swaybar
kyb shocks
15 inch wheels instead of 14

Wow! What a difference! I can actually keep up with modern cars through some of the swoopy turns near my house. Turns I would have struggled with at 25 mph I can take at about 50 now! I am simply amazed by how well the car responded to the mods. While I know it isn't anything special and will get it's butt spanked by a serious PT car. It made the car so much more fun to drive. I think I caught the bug! I can't wait to do more to it! LS swap and 6 speed here I come!

here it is lowered.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/gtosmallmagnuson11-1.jpg

Hotchkis
07-13-2010, 03:50 PM
That's a cool car. It's good to see some Pontiacs being built.

Blue67gto
07-13-2010, 05:04 PM
That's a cool car. It's good to see some Pontiacs being built.

Thanks! It's taken a lot of time to get where it is now. It was a completely stripped shell when I got it. Just getting all the parts to put it back together was a lot of work. I can't wait to get the suspension parts I REALLY want as the basic stuff I have done has already made a huge improvement.

Keith
07-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Looks good. What brand suspension equipment did you go with? I am starting my full frame-off work on my '67 convertible and have acquired all the coil-over Global West parts. It is good to hear about your success with handling improvements.