PDA

View Full Version : PSMC Improvements

JEFFTATE
07-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking of ways to improve the PSMC , while it's still fresh on my mind.

1) A PA System : That way everyone can here what's going on at the autocross.

2) Pre-register all participants : Bill is doing this at RTTH and it's a good idea. It just gets too confusing at the event to collect money and assign car number's( plus it cut's into our seat time ). Next year , everyone will pre-register and pre-pay before the event and registration will end a week or two before the event.

3) Better Maps for the cruise directions and event locations .
I know a lot of people got separated or lost on the return trip from the cruise and trying to find their way to some of the locations..
I'll make some better maps next year , so we can all stick together on the same route to and from the cruise destination .
I assumed that everyone had a Garmin or TomTom or Mapquest , but the directions in those things are not always accurate.
And everyone ends up taking different routes.
We need to all stick together on the cruise. To and Back .

4) A second laptop with a printer to keep up with the autocross times on a spreadsheet and print them out at the end of each session..

5)A detailed itinerary of where to meet and where to go at what time..That way , we are all getting full advantage of what is going on in the area together..
I had wanted a huge group of us to go to cruise night together on Saturday night, but no-one seemed to know about it.

6)A T-shirt for every participant.
Include a t-shirt for every paying participant with the PSMC logo and date on the front , and all the sponsors listed ..

7) T-shirts for sale to spectators , etc..
I didn't have the resources ( budget ) or time to get a big shirt order this year , but next year I will have some for sale..

8) A waiver or release. Everyone will be rquired to sign one of those release forms to participate in the event. I forgot this year .

9) Parking Signs for spectators and participants. That way everyone knows where to go when they pull in the parking lot..
We won't get all bunched and mixed together.

10) Is July 4th weekend ok ?? Should we pick another weekend ?? A few people didn't come this weekend because of family plans on the 4th.

11) Helmets required ?? Should we require helmets ??
I purposely don't want a lot of rules at this event , but is this one a good idea ??

12) Yard signs and Banners out by the road to tell people where to turn in for the event.

7/14/10 Here are some additions per the suggestions in this thread :

13) Nametags with username and real name .

14)A Commemorative DVD for sale .

15) Mandatory seatbelts.

16) A second type of driving event besides autocross. ( This is in the works for next year already . I started the day after the event. )

17) A Top Three or King of the Event competition ? I purposely wanted to keep the event as "fun runs" for everyone. ( running for times only ) Where we weren't really competing against each other for a top position , but competing against ourselves to improve our driving skills amd times . Pro-Touring.com has several other wonderful events that have a King of the Event and or Qualifying for the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational . I'm all for this sort of event. I think it adds interest ,excitement and drama to the event , which creates interest from all.
But I just wanted to keep the PSMC very simple , easy , and low-key..
I wanted everyone to look at their own times at the end of the day and compare them to their own times from the beginning of the day , and we could make a chart of who had the best times.
So , should we have a King ???

protouring70
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
All is great Jeff, the only thing I see is the 4th of July. But, we did get a good turn out so.......

formula
07-10-2010, 01:55 PM
nametags with our board name and real name? I dunno...

stage2ROUSH
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
webbale, wobble cones that don't fall down? yeah I agree , July 4th is about the only thing.

69BRRRD
07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Jeff how about somebody who's not driving in the event with a digital video camera (maybe in a high place like the roof of the truck where the timing computers were) to document at least one of everybody's runs and upload them to a site like Photobucket where they can be downloaded by us? It wouldn't cost anything and everybody would have a cool video to remember the event by. I tried to take as many as I could with my little phone camera but I missed alot of people who would have loved to have had a film of their car in action. Any volunteers out there?
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/69feuervogel/Peach%20State%20Musclecar%20Challenge%202010/

ACR-Mark
07-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Helmets or not, that's a tough one. I was glad to get a break from the "pressure cooker" on my head. Every event I go to seems to be 90+ degrees out. Red Top doesn't have enough speed to warrant a helmet, but honestly I'm 50/50 on the subject.
Seat belts, that is one thing we really do need. I think with enough warning ahead of time, people can find a way to get at least lap belts set up in their car.

Tucks69
07-10-2010, 03:58 PM
I believe a different weekend besides the 4th. I think your turn out would be even better. As far as safety I don,t mind wearing the helmet. The seatbelt should be mandatory. I really liked the event Jeff, it was very easygoing. The tents on the track for the workers worked out well also, you just don,t want the track workers to get to comfortable!!!

SparkyRnD
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
4th is going to be tough, but I'll find a way to be there whenever. For the video, I was going between shooting video, taking pics and trying to help folks that were in our little tent asking about radiators / etc. I do, however, have a few friends that film professionally for tv shows, commercials, etc. I'll ask them about next year, as they can also make / sell a DVD of the entire event if there is enough interest.

stage2ROUSH
07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
it would be way cool if" v8tv" could be there

protouring70
07-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Jeff.........it sounds like you and your team have done very well!!!!!!! Keep up the good work, It seems as if everyone is very comfortable at this event!

69BRRRD
07-11-2010, 06:48 AM
You know Jeff if you spread the word to the general public a few weeks ahead of time thru the newspaper or a radio spot or two and the spectators would flood in! These cars are really cool and I'm sure people would pay a small admission to see them get thrashed around a cone course, don't you agree? Just a burnout or two at the start line is fun to watch. Before you know it you could have the next year's insurance and other expenses paid...
Hmmm...500 spectators for the event, $5/head=insurance PAID! The only drawback is we would outgrow the Red Top site pretty quickly as more cars would mean more parking, etc.

JEFFTATE
07-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I like all this guys , Thanks !
If we outgrow RedTop , I have an alternate location plan being implemented ..

castine917
07-12-2010, 06:59 AM
my personal opinion on all of that is many great ideas and wish i could have made it myself as it looks like you made it a great time.

summer is very busy for myself 4th of july or not.

i like pre-registration as an option but not as an only. plans can change quickly and i have gone from can't make it to standing there. registration on site has allowed me to participate in events i did not even know of but, saw as i passed area on a cruise somewhere.

keep up the great work as it is appreciated.

wicked68
07-13-2010, 04:06 AM
july 4th is definately a problem. My family does not usually like to come to the events with me so that weekend causes me to only be available for one day.

helmet - didnt need one - very small course and not much speed - however for the appearance and practice of safety - I would probably err on the side of having one to send the right signals.

an event other than autocross tossed in - I would love an HPDE at road atlanta or a drag day or a speed / stop

ACR-Mark
07-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I like all this guys , Thanks !
If we outgrow RedTop , I have an alternate location plan being implemented ..
Jeff, I have to be honest, I think you guys have already outgrown RedTop. It would be great to see your group able to flex its muscles, but the RedTop site pinches all the potential.
Not sure what other site you have been working on, but I've been doing some research as well. I contacted the Atlanta Region SCCA to find out about getting you guys in at one of their venues. They run at Turner Field, Six Flags, Atlanta Motor Speedway, and in the past have also used other large sites.
I sent an e-mail to their Regional Chairman, and have also posted on their forums. I haven't heard anything yet, but will keep trying until I at least get a "no."

JEFFTATE
07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Jeff, I have to be honest, I think you guys have already outgrown RedTop. It would be great to see your group able to flex its muscles, but the RedTop site pinches all the potential.
Not sure what other site you have been working on, but I've been doing some research as well. I contacted the Atlanta Region SCCA to find out about getting you guys in at one of their venues. They run at Turner Field, Six Flags, Atlanta Motor Speedway, and in the past have also used other large sites.
I sent an e-mail to their Regional Chairman, and have also posted on their forums. I haven't heard anything yet, but will keep trying until I at least get a "no."

Thanks Mark.
I've been talking to Jeremy Porter at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dalton,Ga.
They have yet to open the track , but it is under construction , and we will be able to Autocross , Roadcourse , and Speed-Stop at the same site for two days .

ACR-Mark
07-15-2010, 04:07 AM
Great! Room for growth!

GeoffP
07-15-2010, 04:13 AM
Jeff,

That sounds great!

My only suggestion would be that the top ten is held until later in the day to give the newbies a chance to improve their times. I'm sure there was a very good reason to do it when it was done, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt! :)

BossaNova
07-16-2010, 04:11 AM
I got a suggestion.........
Set up next years event on my week off!

Thanks.

Mr.VENGEANCE
07-16-2010, 07:11 AM
yea Mark, i would love to see the Nova out there running.

ACR-Mark
07-21-2010, 05:15 AM
Well, unfortunately, I got an official "no" on acquiring/borrowing other SCCA sites for PSMC use. It's not because this group isn't trusted, but as it turns out, they have a past history of being burned by sharing contact info. They used to run at Gwinnett County Fairgrounds, but lost that site due to another club that didn't behave very well after "borrowing" their site contact information.
So, I don't really blame them for being protective.
In the back of my head, I had thought about working on something to get an event sponsored at my site in Huntsville, but now that I think about it, we have really strict sound limit rules, due to apartments being right next door. The V8's are loud, man!

Jeff, if there is anything that I can do to help you get in the door at Atlanta Motorsports Park, just let me know. I've got a pretty good arsenal of info. (Yup, I'm full of it, in more ways than one!)

JEFFTATE
07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, unfortunately, I got an official "no" on acquiring/borrowing other SCCA sites for PSMC use. It's not because this group isn't trusted, but as it turns out, they have a past history of being burned by sharing contact info. They used to run at Gwinnett County Fairgrounds, but lost that site due to another club that didn't behave very well after "borrowing" their site contact information.
So, I don't really blame them for being protective.
In the back of my head, I had thought about working on something to get an event sponsored at my site in Huntsville, but now that I think about it, we have really strict sound limit rules, due to apartments being right next door. The V8's are loud, man!

Jeff, if there is anything that I can do to help you get in the door at Atlanta Motorsports Park, just let me know. I've got a pretty good arsenal of info. (Yup, I'm full of it, in more ways than one!)

Thanks Mark ,
I will be in touch.