PDA

View Full Version : new shocks installed

gmjj13
07-10-2010, 11:08 AM
i have a 69 camaro with DSE 3" drop leafs. i was using KYB shocks, but it always felt like the shocks were bottoming out, and my car just rode like crap. i ordered up a set of Koni classics from Brian at hotrodtransformations, put them on and its like driving a new car. i never thought a shock change would make that much of a difference. i can only imagine what a difference it must be going to air ride or one of the other cool setups out there from a leaf/shock setup. i just had to post up and say how happy i was with how much improved my ride is and how impressed i am with my new shocks. Brian was great to deal with as well.

Rod
07-10-2010, 11:26 AM
That's one of the most often done upgrades we do to many classic rides here on stock suspension cars a good stiff shock offsets the woobly stock coils and leafs, and on a pro-tour build a softer or adjustable set of shocks REALLY brings the car to life, a lot of people may think its a sales pitch, I'm always glad to hear good results from going to the basic!

Jasons72
07-11-2010, 06:06 AM
I had the same problem, 3 inch drop hotchkis leafs and kyb's bottoming out. I'm in the process of fabbing a mount to retrofit a set of QA1 single adjustables off of a 66 nova, they are much shorter.

zamora7
07-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I always hear nothing but good stuff about koni's, everybody that switches to them loves their upgrade. I might have to do the same when my t/a gets going.

gmjj13
07-14-2010, 06:55 AM
I had the same problem, 3 inch drop hotchkis leafs and kyb's bottoming out. I'm in the process of fabbing a mount to retrofit a set of QA1 single adjustables off of a 66 nova, they are much shorter.

i was surprised at how much shorter the Koni's were. I knew that I needed shorter shocks, just didn't have an idea as to how much of a difference it would actually make in the ride quality. :bananna2:

frabru
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Does Koni have a short shock for the front, and if they do, does anyone know the part number?

GM Muscle
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM
this is good to know. i was wondering if they were going to be "good enough" on my daily..

Mingus
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I think Koni makes great shocks. I have used them on cars in the past and really liked them.
I have not been impressed with KYB's at all. It seems like that was the only "performance" shock you could get for a muscle car "back in the day". I used to have some on a '73 Mach I and they were very stiff. The car would chatter over rough pavement. My wifes' LeMans had a right rear KYB (they were on the car when she bought it) start leaking so I tossed all of them and put on a set of Bilstein shocks. What an incredible difference. Very good compromise between ride and handling.
I went with the single adjustable Varishocks on my Cutlass and am also very happy with them. When I was considering them, I thought why bother I'll just fiddle with the adjustment until I like the ride then never touch them again. Then I realized I just answered my own argument: because I could adjust them instead of hoping I liked the valving they came with.
I think getting shorter shocks if you've lowered a car significantly is something that gets lost in the shuffle with a lot of people. The Varishocks came with a sheet that showed the extended and compressed lengths and the minimum and maximum "sweet spot" they want the shock to be in at ride height.
Most shock companies should have similar data.