PDA

View Full Version : G-Body Baer Track Rear Rotor Fitment Issue

cornfed
07-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Trying to install Baer's rear Track kit on an '84 MCSS with an externally stock 7.5" rear axle. Forgive me if this post isn't fluid as I'm functioning on 21 hours since awaking. . and no coffee.

Axle flange (what I'm calling the disc at the end of the shaft where the wheel studs are pressed in) was turned down to 5.875". Brackets were snugged without spacers, axle shaft and c-clip are in.

When I seat the rotor against the axle flange the rotor will touch the top 5/8" bolt head which secures the caliper / intermediate plate to the axle. I made sure the axle was not pushed back into the carrier because the right side axleshaft and locking pin are out of the axle.

If I remove the 5/8" bolt and align the rotor with the caliper on the bracket, the rotor is ~3/8-1/2" off the axle flange. If were to set the rotor against the axle flange, it would align with the inside brake pad.

It seems that I either have incorrect rotors for my application, or I need a shim/spacer behind the rotor and longer wheel studs. The shim/spacer doesn't seem right. This is also my first rear disc conversion, so I could completely be f'ing something else up. Goin' to bed now. Hopefully the epiphany fairy will visit me tonight. Thanks in advance for help, insight, or witty comments.

cornfed
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
No progress made today. Too obscure of a question or too obvious of an answer?

Steven
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Can't help you with the Baer system. I used the SSBC and it bolted right up. I did have to use longer wheel studs that I got from Napa. Good luck, Sat afternoon a hard time to get an answer.

Samckitt
07-11-2010, 05:18 AM
I pieced my setup together using factory GM parts (calipers & rotors) but used Baer's caliper mounting bracket & shock relocation bracket. Didn't have any problem like you mention. Did your rotors come with the package or did you have to buy them separately? Mine are 94 Vette rear rotors. Might take one of yours to Autozone & compare them & see if the "backspacing" of the rotor is the same.

How does it line up with the caliper? If you put the rotor on & snug it down (even though it hits the bolt), then if you put the caliper on, is it in the right location to fit around the rotor, or is it in the wrong place too. If it is misaligned too, I would suspect wrong rotor.

I did not have to use any spacers between the rotor & axle flange.

Dumb thought: Try putting the C clip on (if not already) & push the axle out as far as it will go & put the cross shaft in the carrier to make sure the axle is pushed outward where it is supposed to be.

cornfed
07-11-2010, 05:39 AM
I pieced my setup together using factory GM parts (calipers & rotors) but used Baer's caliper mounting bracket & shock relocation bracket. Didn't have any problem like you mention. Did your rotors come with the package or did you have to buy them separately? Mine are 94 Vette rear rotors. Might take one of yours to Autozone & compare them & see if the "backspacing" of the rotor is the same.

How does it line up with the caliper? If you put the rotor on & snug it down (even though it hits the bolt), then if you put the caliper on, is it in the right location to fit around the rotor, or is it in the wrong place too. If it is misaligned too, I would suspect wrong rotor.

I did not have to use any spacers between the rotor & axle flange.

Dumb thought: Try putting the C clip on (if not already) & push the axle out as far as it will go & put the cross shaft in the carrier to make sure the axle is pushed outward where it is supposed to be.

I bought the complete Baer kit. I bought the kit 2nd hand but the boxes were never opened. The seller sold the car before installing the kit.

The '94 'vette comparison is an excellent suggestion. I'll have to try it out. :cheers:

With the C-clip and cross shaft installed, the rotor aligns with the inside brake pad, not in the pocket between the pads where it should be. The situation smacks of the wrong rotor packed in the kit. Just for grins, both rotors have the same fitment issue so I didn't get a mixed batch.

Samckitt
07-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Is your rear rotor diameter 13"? If so, then that is different than mine, mine are only 12". So comparing it to 94 Vette rotors may not be the same. From Baer's template, it looks like the rear rotor is a 2 piece unit.

Here is the template I found, maybe you can compare to it:
http://www.baer.com/technical/templates/files/A085H.PDF

Or go here to find the template, in case I picked the wrong one:
http://www.baer.com/technical/templates/index.php

Samckitt
07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
From the template on Baer's site. Looks like if you set the rotor on a table & measured from the table to the top surface where the wheel mounts, is 1-15/16".

xxxturbo6
07-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Scot M. you beat me to the links to the templates! lol

Each BAER brake system is specifically designed to each persons car and wheels & BS so if the guy you bought the kit from has different measurements than you as far as Rim B/S, Rear end and ect. You will have some fitment issues. The first thing you need to do is print those templates use those them to determine your car's measurements and the kits measurements and go from there. Then if the kit seems to be off i'm sure BAER will work with you on getting you taken care of.

We are a BAER dealer and I will be more than happy to assist you any way I can.

Scot W.

Samckitt
07-11-2010, 08:01 AM
:-)

I doubt that one Bear Track system is different than another. The way it mounts on the car is the same from one G body to another. So if the rotor hits the bolt that holds the caliper bracket on "cornfed's" car it will hit on mine as well regardless of what wheels he or I have. The problem he is having with mounting the rotor is not related to the backspacing of the wheel.

cornfed
07-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I have the regular 'Track' kit with 1-piece 12" rear rotors. My backside rotor to wheel mounting surface measurement is 1-15/16".

Kind of strange, but I have kit #4302040 and it says rotor diameter is 13".

The problem he is having with mounting the rotor is not related to the backspacing of the wheel.

Correct. My wheels are due Tuesday so I can't cross that bridge, yet.

I'm going back out to the shop and try to figure it out. Thanks for the help everybody.

cornfed
07-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Problem solved. When working on the left, the C-clip wasn't totally in the pocket. I gave up on the left side and switched to the right. I installed the right axle, c-clip, and then the cross shaft and blam-o the right side fit. I checked out the left fitment and all was well.

I'm going to write this off as a sleep inducted rectal-cranial inversion. Thanks again.

Samckitt
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Glad that ordeal is over. LOL

Hey I don't have my E brake setup yet. If you still have it off see if there is any part numbers on the e brake cables. I wonder if they are stock GM parts.