PDA

View Full Version : 1st Project plans: Wife's Duster

rb70383
05-10-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm a Moparnut, and been "collecting" them for a couple years, nothing show worthy some aren't even road worthy!:doh:Well Finally getting into a position where I can start my 1st project. :woot: Its a 73 Duster, with the fold down rear seat, orig 318 (360 now) auto console, pretty loaded for a Duster back then. Its originally Black with a white roof. Ok let me know what everyone thinks of the plans. 1st off she wants a "themed" car based on the band Type O Negative. If done properly it will look cool. The basics: 408 stroker fuel infected, 727auto, 8 3/4 3.55's front a rear sway bars, dearched SS springs for the rear, .990" torsion bars, possible a 6 point cage. Also plan on running 17"s and relocating the UCA's and taller spindles to make room for 13" rotors. Now for the theme part, Typ O neg big thing is green, was thinking of a really dark almost black green for the roof. with brighter green accents inside, on the seats, door panels, green lit gauges, and/or that same almost black green color as a stripe down the side, depends on how it looks with the roof green. Not overboard but done in moderation. I'm still researching before I tear the car apart. BTW Anyone know how can do one off wheels? That is where the car will gets its biggest influence from the band. I have a lot of more specifics for the car, but nothing everyone here doesn't know about.:)

boodlefoof
05-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Sounds cool! One of the first cars I test drove when looking to buy my first classic was a Duster... and I think it was a '73 with a 318! But the brakes on that thing were awful...

If your wife is anything like my fiancee... she'll love it, but she will want it to be reliable. I don't know what your wife's flavor for cars is... but if it is for her, remember to build it how she wants it to drive.

Someday I'm going to build my bride to be an old Mustang. She just likes a nice driver, so I'm not going to go to crazy. Just a little 302 crate motor, 5 speed, upgraded stock suspension, etc.

Good luck.

Piet
05-10-2005, 07:02 AM
Nice project...I like dusters.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

You know that we will want to see pictures...

trapin
05-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Yeah we'll need some pictures, bro. I love them old Dusters.

If I could just make a suggestion....don't do 17's on it, those are pretty stocky cars and the 17's won't stand out enough. I'd do 18's in the front and 19's in the back and really slam the profile on that mother. One-off's are gonna be painful...get your bank book ready. Sounds like a killer project. Good luck with it...and keep us posted.

rb70383
05-10-2005, 11:32 PM
I've been thinking about the wheels sizes and looking at the "Dust ya" I'm with ya in thinking 18's all the way around. Only need one spare. Gonna try to run same size front and rear for this reason, but wont know for sure until I see how it really looks.

Drove the napa guys crazy looking at paint chips, thought we found a nice dark green, until we put next to black. Man that made the green look bright!! So far the green thats at least in the running is 96ish Acrua "Brooklyn green" I'm sure a lot of people know this but a word to the ones that dont, when picking colors and looking at 2 tones, deffinately put the colors side by side, each color will "bring out" other colors in each other.

FoxGranadaChuck
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
So far, the only change that I would make to those plans would be to swap in an A518 four-speed automatic overdrive. Essentially, the A518 is a 727 automatic with an overdriven fourth gear and a lock-up torque converter.
The A518 would stand you in good stead, especially if you were to do some long distance cruising, say the Hot Rod Power Tour.
Keep the 17-inch wheels!

rb70383
05-22-2005, 02:30 AM
I've been thinking about the 518. The donor 360 I'm getting is out of a parts 93 Ramcharger, complete and running, it has a 518 already, so I'll do a complete drivetrain swap, still pondering on the EFI though, retro the 93 computer, or ditch it and get the Eddy system.