PDA

View Full Version : Gauge panel like Bad Penny or Covans questions.

Rileys68Camaro
07-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm looking to get a gauge panel like in Bad Penny or maybe the Covans but I'm wondering if there is room for A/C center outlet on the Covans? Or like in the Twist Machine Camaro.

If not, any ideas for making one similar to Steves, but with 4 gauges and the A/C vent and maybe a Vintage Air control.

Not sure how to fasten it to the dash but I think I could fab one okay from sheet steel.

Thanks!

Topless69
07-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Thomas check out my webshots link its really pretty east to make your own. I used an old computer tower for the metal which was perfect and free. Now its not exactly what you want but I'm sure you can figure something our that will make you happy. if you need any pics let me know and I'll see what I can do.
jeoff J.

BuzzKillian
07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
What kind of gauges are you going to use? Penny is using Race Pak & Stack gauges.
I am working on a new center dash panel for my A/C vents and stereo. I am also building a consol that will house (4) 2 1/16" gauges and my Vintage Air controls. I haven't taken any pictures yet... but I'll post them soon.

Rileys68Camaro
07-30-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm using Auto Meter Phantom gauges. They're the larger 2 5/8"s which may be an issue, but they're brand new though I bought them 10 years ago so no money to switch.

I have them mounted under the glove box in the Auto Meter panels, but I don't really like it. I wanted to figure something out so I can get it made and have it painted at the same time as my dash.

Thanks!

BuzzKillian
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Here are some pics of what I am doing. I didn't like the center AC duct Vintage Air sent, so I used the side vents. They are 2 1/2"
You could get 4 gauges in there (like the Covan's) but then there's no room for stereo or heater controls. IIRC
I am working on a console that will hold my gauges and AC controls. I know it's hard to see, but there are penciled in locations for the gauges and controls.
When I get the model how I want it, I will make a mold. The final part will be fiberglass.

Rileys68Camaro
07-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Very nice! A little beyond my skills.

I may try something like that though. I'm planning on a Gen IV kit with those controls so I won't need the space for the stock one, and hope to put the stereo in the glove box.

I'm starting to think I'm going street fighter/race style. It just seems to be simpler.

BuzzKillian
07-31-2010, 07:27 PM
I have the Gen IV kit... it comes with a smaller glove box. FYI.
You could always go with an I-pod deal like Penny uses.

Rileys68Camaro
07-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I plan on something like that, as that's all I'd use is an iPod or flash drive with music on it.