PDA

View Full Version : bigger brakes for a g body

malibu43
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
hi there,i need to know what is the sheapest way to fit big brakes into a malibu 80,, i was thinking to but the camaro`s ones or chevy nova,,any help will be apreciated. thanks and regards

instro84
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
i did the 4 wheel 2002 camaro disc on my regal was pretty simple i think was 400 bux at the time it did it i bought from caliper bracket and gathered all the other parts on my own.

MonzaRacer
07-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Quick and dirt bigger brakes and upgradeable down the road, look for a 98 up 2wb blazer and get the spindle w/hub and beraing assembly, rotor and caliper, most yards in the 35 to 75 a side.
its nearly a bolt on, might want to grabe the truck hoses for reference ends(stainless lines might be in order)
With this setup you can buy an adapter plate and later add on Corvette brakes.
Be warned if the hub/bearing assembly is old or stock it MAY need new ones but these are bigger brakes, require no extra master cylinder work on g body.

85GPLEf41
07-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Quick and dirt bigger brakes and upgradeable down the road, look for a 98 up 2wb blazer and get the spindle w/hub and beraing assembly, rotor and caliper, most yards in the 35 to 75 a side.
its nearly a bolt on, might want to grabe the truck hoses for reference ends(stainless lines might be in order)
With this setup you can buy an adapter plate and later add on Corvette brakes.
Be warned if the hub/bearing assembly is old or stock it MAY need new ones but these are bigger brakes, require no extra master cylinder work on g body.

That"s the setup i am using and have under $400 "i think" on my brake upgrade. I am using the base C6 calipers with 13" rotors. Other than the brake lines you should'nt have any issues. I ordered drilled and slotted rotors, i have the rear to figure out now here is a pic of the fronts:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/07/e24ee668-1.jpg
The pain is trying to find wheels....:smoke:

whitess
07-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Ernesto,
Next time you come up I'll help ya find some wheels. I've got a bunch of ideas for you!
Sounds like you're feeling better. :)
Larry.

MonzaRacer
07-20-2010, 12:18 AM
For decent priced rears get the rear disk from same 98 up blazer, just remember if you get 4wd parts you will have different parts over the 2wd, and I think the calipers are mounted differently like one forward and one rearward like on Camaros with staggered shocks

Randy67
07-20-2010, 04:05 AM
Lee, the 4wd calipers both mount to the front, 2wd calipers are to the rear. Either setup works as long as you use 2wd rotors.

406 Q-ship
07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
For decent priced rears get the rear disk from same 98 up blazer, just remember if you get 4wd parts you will have different parts over the 2wd, and I think the calipers are mounted differently like one forward and one rearward like on Camaros with staggered shocks

Axle ends on the drum brake G-body rear axle are goofy and the Blazer brakes use the axle ends like an earlier GM small pattern, so it in not a bolt on for the G-body, but it will work on the early cars.

I have a friend who has put the 98 up Blazer/S10/S15 brakes on his El Camino, all they did was swap out the loaded spindle to the 2wd blazer and the brake hose with the frame brackets and bolted the whole mess to the G-body.....no muss no fuss, even used the El Camino Master Cylinder.

MonzaRacer
07-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Samckitt
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Lee, the 4wd calipers both mount to the front, 2wd calipers are to the rear. Either setup works as long as you use 2wd rotors.

Except the spindle/knuckle is different. There is a hole in the back side of the 4WD version for the axle to go through. If you use the 4WD drive version without a shaft going through it, the bearings will be exposed to the elements. Dirt, water, dust etc will be able to get into the bearings & cause premature wear.

nullshine
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Speaking of the bearings...

Anyone familiar with how long these hub bearings last?

Are there upgraded/tougher ones you can buy?

85GPLEf41
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Ernesto,
Next time you come up I'll help ya find some wheels. I've got a bunch of ideas for you!
Sounds like you're feeling better. :)
Larry.

A whole lot better now, Sounds good i will get with you and we can check them out. Thanks!
As for the bearings i don't think there are any options for a upgrade. I would try to use a OEM bearing but they are pricey.

Randy67
07-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Except the spindle/knuckle is different. There is a hole in the back side of the 4WD version for the axle to go through. If you use the 4WD drive version without a shaft going through it, the bearings will be exposed to the elements. Dirt, water, dust etc will be able to get into the bearings & cause premature wear.

Sorry, I was talking about the rears, not the fronts, hopefully not too many were confused.