PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Mississippi - HOWDY!

sykox
05-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Howdy guys and gals,

I am a new member here and am greatly enjoying the site. There are some wonderful cars on here and I am in awe of most of them. A brief background on me, I have never really "worked" on a car before but I've always wanted a 1969 Camaro. Ever since I was my sons age it was my dream car. A year or so ago I decided I couldn't afford the Camaro but maybe I could start building an engine for it, and learn something new to boot. I bought an old 350 4-bolt block and a handful of books, videos, and tools. I ripped it apart and started throwing parts at it. Believe me, my son and I had a great time doing that but never expected it to really run, I was simply hoping to figure it out. Well, it ran, and ran well. We built a 383 NA motor that dyno'd at 408HP. I will admit this much, whenever I got to a critical measurement I would get my neighbor over to help. Anyway we sold that motor as I didn't see anyway I was going to afford my dream anytime soon to put it in. Well, last week I bought a 1969 Camaro!!! WOOT!!! I have also since then picked up a pretty nice 427 cause I wanted to see the difference in BB vs. SB. So now we are on the road to restoration, I'm sure it will be a fun ride with many memories for my son and I, and perhaps someday we might even be able to drive this project!

Well that's me, thanks for putting together such a nice site, see ya on the road!

Ron

gsxrken
05-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Welcome. I think it's great that you are jumping in and learning right along with your son. I have 3 boys all toddlers but they already like to "help". No one ever said on their deathbed "I wish I spent more time at work", and I try to think of that and work my familty into things. The time will come when we won't be the focal point of their lives, so get it in while you can. :)

Ralph LoGrasso
05-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Ron,

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the site! Keep us updated on your project and don't hesitate to ask questions.

sykox
05-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Ken, I really like your attitude bud. I came to the same conclusion my self not to terribly long ago. They just grow up so darn fast, mine is 10 and already showing signs of the teenager trying to get out of him. But when we're out there covered in grease and cutting up, it's like a whole other kid. To any dads out there, share this time with your youngun's, it can make a heckuva difference in your realtionships.

To Ralph, thanks for the congrats and you can bet I'll be asking a ton of questions. I'll certainly leep ya'll updated as well.

Ron

SatisTraction
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Ron

sounds like you got a great start on a project.

BTW i live just outside jackson ms. where are you located?

chris

sykox
05-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Chris,

I am in Olive Branch way up north right on the Memphis, TN borderline. I am down in Jackson frequently for business though. You know any good junkyards with decent goodies between here and there?

Ron