PDA

View Full Version : 70 Monte Front Suspension Build.. Thoughts

LS1MonteSS
07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Hello all.. Newbie here :cheers:
So I have been poking around on this site and a few others trying to piece together my best course of action for my 70 Monte..

I got the car with 56K original miles on it with the original motor and interior.. from what i can tell the passenger door is not original.. but there is no damage anywhere to explain the door change...

A few months back I pulled the old springs (which someone used a torch on to lower the car :machine:) I threw in a set of rear springs i had laying around and a old set of QA1 Coil overs, but it still drove like crap...

This past weekend I got in my Hotchkis 1" drop springs and matching shocks and knocked out the install in a few hours.. But it still doesn't sit right for me... So back to the forums for some research,,,

My new plan after reading all the pros' & con's of the different things I read. I'd like to go with a set of Hotchkis upper and lower A-arms (but there is no real input on weather they address geometry issues), with a ATS AFX Tall Spindles and billet steering arms (those for sure will correct any and all bump steer issues), and trim the coils to bring the lower A-Arm parallel with the ground. ...

This is where i need all the advice you all can give me...

Thx,
Kevin:thankyou:

1badchevelle
07-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Call Marcus as SC&C. http://www.scandc.com/

MCMLXIX
07-06-2010, 07:39 PM
I like the ATS spindles because they use sealed hubs, address goemetry and have multiple bolt on brake options (OEM C5 Corvette or Aftermarket). The only side note is wheel size with the brake options: Some 17" wheels fit but you're looking mostly at 18" wheels...

For upper arms I would go with SPC Pro-Lite adjustable arms from SC&C. They allow you to adjust alignment specs without shims. This is a bonus for header clearance if needed and just seems better then a stack of shims. You can also drill out the frame and upgrade to a 1/2" bolt.

http://scandc.com

LS1MonteSS
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I am running 18" Boss wheels in the front and 20" on the rear... Nice looking but don't fill the wheel wells like I'd like. And there are no width options just 17,18, 19, and 20"... But hey they came on the car!

LS1MonteSS
07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I sent an email to SC&C this afternoon and I'm waiting a reply.. I mainly sent the email because I didn't see any 70/71/72 Monte specific things on their site and other people told me to do the same thing... I think SC&C was one of the ATS authorized distributors!

1badchevelle
07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I sent an email to SC&C this afternoon and I'm waiting a reply.. I mainly sent the email because I didn't see any 70/71/72 Monte specific things on their site and other people told me to do the same thing... I think SC&C was one of the ATS authorized distributors!

look for the a body set up in your year. Its the same set up. for chevelle and monte.

shep
07-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Your Monte is a GM A-body. Chevelle, Cutlass, GTO, Monte all share the same front suspension. Call Marc and ask him your questions. Super nice guy and a wealth of information. It sometimes takes him a while to respond to emails so if you want it soon call.

novaderrik
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
your Monte is a Chevelle with 6" of frame added between the front suspension and the firewall. one benefit of this is that with the engine in the same location relative to the firewall, almost all of the engine weight is behind the front axle centerline like a Corvette and the weight balance is better than a Chevelle.
anything for a Chevelle from the same era will work.

LS1MonteSS
07-07-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the replys and info... I'll give Marc a few days.. It isn't something I need like yesterday, I'm just trying to do all the leg work now so things go smooth later on!